Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is there more than one run back to the village from ischgl?

Poster: A snowHead
We hate to get the gondola down, our favourite thing to do is have a fast run down the mountain and get to the après ski full of the joys of skiing. We always wait as long as we can on the mountain so it is always a late run home. Now our problem is that we will have our children with us , and while both are very good, the other idiots on the run may not be, so over crowded slopes with those who consider themselves better than they are ( I saw the video here on SH)wouldn't be a good idea,. So my question is , is it only one run back? or is there a different route back to another part of the village?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
biddpyat,
There are two runs to village level but both get very crowded, though if you wait till later they quieten down, before about 3:00 ish they are a positive delight to ski. There are plenty of alternative routes to gondolas at the half way point that get less crowded but the main runs to these still get pretty busy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm hoping they won't be too busy at the end of Jan.

Can't wait to finally go to Ischgl!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are several ways to start, but about half way down they all start to converge into just a couple of runs. They are all red (plus some optional black sections) so there are some steeper areas which get crowded on the lemming ledge where people watch other people crash into each other.

The one marked 7 seemed to be fairly quiet at the top, though it did get closed a few times when I was there due to avalanche risk. They will be fine down to the middle station, where I suggest getting on the lift so you can watch the chaos from above.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From memory there is 3 maybe 4 runs to mid station level - then if it is warm get the gondola - (can be quite a slog in slush) it splits into two pistes 1 and 1a which go to the two main Apres areas. There are small spurs at the very last 200yds (ski-in ski-out). 1a would be the more lively one in terms of après (bar dancers, schatzi bar etc) and it does have direct access to the Dorftunnel (underground magic carpet into town) which can be a god send at the end of the day. 1 takes you to the main ticket office, the town centre and another great après area.

The one on the video is 1a or Piste 1 above the middle station. I believe and from experience I would say that Piste 1 is easier below the middle station and Piste 3 above the middle if a little flat in the slush. Unfortunately piste 7 was closed the whole time I was there but it looked very steep and I can see why it would a high avalanche risk area.

It all really depends on where your hotel is, or if you are going to the Schatzi or Hotel Elisabeth for a party! Razz The dorftunnel should be at every resort, life saver when your legs are like jelly carrying skis/boots etc...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We will be traveling by car to ischgl itself we are staying in Kappl, . Steep is less of a worry than out of control skiers. That video shows just how many can't handle steep ice. It is a bit mad with all those runs converging into just two runs. Scarlet, laughing here about the lemming ledge. It always tells you where there is a steep bit all those people stop to scare themselves. I have told my kids if you see a group standing looking down ski past them by a few mtrs, and there you go your over the actual ledge.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
biddpyat wrote:
It is a bit mad with all those runs converging into just two runs.

You will see when you get there - it either has to be like it is to get to down or everyone would have to download from the mountain by Gondola. The town is at the bottom of a narrow gorge/small valley which leads up to two plateau (1 at the middle station - 1 at the mountain base station). The village runs hang on the side of the gorge with a river and waterfalls beneath. Either side of the gorge would be highly unsuitable for pisted runs (densely wooded and very steep cliffs etc) so really you have to think you are quite lucky that at Ischgl you can ski to the town tbh. Also if you are going to be in the main car park, I would take 1 and not 1a.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
biddpyat, do you have a link to the video? Sounds, erm, interesting....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
biddpyat, Sometimes we can be a bit non specific. I will try and explain the lay out as I have experienced it on my several visits. I have been once over xmas/NY and quite a few times in Feb including Fasching so I have been at generally busy times fairly early in the season.
You can access the runs to the bottom From Paznauner Thaya, Idalp or Pardatschgrat. Lifts to the bottom go from Pardatshgrat to the bottom of run 1 by Hotel Elizabeth, this is a new lift since I went and replaces the old lift I believe there is no longer a middle station for this lift. You can get lifts from Idalp to the bottom of 1 and 1a both have middle stations slightly separate. The middle stations are fairly close to the bottom vertically so you miss little skiing by using them.

To get down from Paznaun Thaya you take red 37 to the middle station it is generally quiet and fairly straightforward but involves a bit of a schuss or plod followed by either a 4-500m rope tow or a 4-500m plod. You can get the lift down to either departure point from here but you can only ski down 1, you cannot get to the other descent.

From Idalp you have several options you can ski down red3 which joins with the Paznauner Thaya piste but tends to be a bit slicker. You can ski red1 either all the way or to the midpoint or branch off and descend 1a. All of these options tend to be very busy indeed and you need to keep a careful eye out for other skiers. A pleasant way of avoiding most of the crowds is to do ski route 3a.This is not always open depending on snow (No artificial) and is never crowded. It does have a shortish fairly narrow and usually heavily mogulled steeper section and you certainly need to be confident on most black runs to do it. The bottom is close to the midstation lifts and you have to descend these or do the bottom of 1 to get down.

There are several routes from Pardatschgrat other than via Idalp' untill the bottom they tend to be less crowded though slightly steeper than the Idalp route Red 7 is usually very pleasant but the lower half is frequently closed and tends to be quite slick when not closed and you may have to take a chair up before you get to the bottom section to join the other routes down. Red 5 and black 4 are pretty similar in terrain with the black run often being the pleasanter option due to fewer people.
All options require a descent either to the midstation or down 1 or 1a. They can all get a bit slick lower down.

The choice between 1 and 1a depends a bit on what you fancy both tend to get very busy during the late afternoon descents. 1 is usually a fair bit easier as it is not steep but it does get crowded, if you have left your car at the other end there is a straightforward cut off which gets you to the Dorf tunnell, though you need to know where this is otherwise you have a fair walk.

The bottom of 1a can be tricky late in the day it is a bit steeper and can get very slick. In fact if you go along the 'lemming ridge' and just keep going you go down a winding but very gentle and fairly wide path which avoids most of the out of control nutters, in poor snow years though this is not covered by artificial and is not always open.

Conditions and crowds vary quite a lot some days it can get very slick.
Generally our favourite way of avoiding the worst is either to go down 3a ski route or have a coffeee/ gluhwein / jagertee/ cocacola / chocolate at the top of Pardatschgrat until they close and then ski down by which time the worst of the crowds have usually passed but good edges remain very useful.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers guys, you are great, the coffee at the top to wait for the closed lifts is a good idea, we do that in a lot of places wait for the idiots to clear the way. AthersT, good point to understand why there are just two runs, and I suppose due to never having been anywhere that you couldn't get to the bottom on your skis I was taking it for granted. dobby, hope this link to the tread works, but you will see the type of skier and boarder I am keeping the kids away from, in fairness they possibly didn't expect the ice but really should be able to sideslip and avoid crashing into others.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2413807&highlight=ischgl#2413807
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thing is, if you can see everyone going flying, logic would suggest heading for the edges of the piste where there's usually a bit more cover. Or at least approaching with more caution.

Hope it's not that icy where we're there, I hate ice. Would rather have bumps anyday.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
HoneyBunny, I'm with you there ! That's the thing about January skiing, more chance of ice! Bumps are nice but iced over bumps can be less fun
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

That's the thing about January skiing, more chance of ice!

not familiar with this thing, please do explain?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would sagest there is less chance of ice like in the clip in January
The run in the clips is 40
We have been a few times and never seen it that crowded or icy
As others have said 7 is a nice run when conditions are good ( as is 40)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Run 40 is pretty much west facing and fairly high if there was ice on it I suspect it was later in the season and had undergone a bit of melt and refreeze, maybe on a bit that was slightly more south facing than the rest?

The problem with the lower runs is generally the amount of traffic that they get, They are well served by snow cannons and generally peasant to ski earlier in the day, however because they are the only runs back in a busy resort they get heavily scraped back to the base in the afternoon and become very slick.Sharp edges are a must, not everyone has them and you do see skiers a bit out of control, The very last couple of hundred metres at 1a is usually the worst as it is the steepest bit that you have to do if returning to this end though other sections higher up can suffer.
It does vary on a day to day basis and taking the gondola down is sometimes a good idea particularly if you are a bit tired. I've never seen anything like that video but I have seen a lot of long slides and distressed children and a few high speed idiots with near misses.
ski holidays
1A is quite steep at the end, the piste basher is anchored to the hill. It can also get moguled and can have iced patches. If your children are confident to ski alone in these conditions with you somewhere behind on a busy piste, then maybe try a last run home. Personally we ski it earlier in the day when the snow is good, and it is empty. Our last run of the day is nearer the top, on good snow and quieter pistes. The pistes to the middle station are fine, it is just into the village that you get bottlenecks. I have found most skiers to be courteous, very rarely drunk( unlike for instance St Anton home runs) but lots of people like to impress the early après skiiers in the Shatzi, and fail miserably Very Happy
ski holidays
The run down is busy at most times. A few years ago our last day overlapped with half term. Mayhem just about covers it. So our last run of the holiday ended with us taking the lift down from mid station. Unheard of!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy