Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts near Zurich in early/mid Dec

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

One of my friends has just moved to Zurich, and we've been talking about me going to visit in early Dec and whether we could squeeze in a couple of days skiing. I wondered if anyone had any experience of the ski resorts near Zurich - will any be open that early? How long are the transfers? Any recommendations?

Cheers Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Laax is about 90 minutes drive and is a very nice ski area. Dont know when it opens, but it has a glacier and is at a decent altitude.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree with Laax although I've only been in February, opens daily from 29th November http://www.laax.com/en/home/ Easy to get to, train from Zurich to Chur then Post Bus to resort, couple of hours from memory.

Engelberg will be open too and is probably closer. I've never been though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers dan100, Claude B, just taken a look at Laax and it looks good Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
quite close are St.Moritz. but.. it is Switzerland, not cheep Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
St Moritz can be a bit of a pain to get to (don't think you can drive direct at this time of year, and from memory the train is slow). It is lovely, though, and normally cold so keeps its snow well (and yes, expensive unless you're staying at the youth hostel!).

We've done early Dec/late Nov trips to Zurich quite often over the last 5 years or so and have always had great conditions (provided you don't expect too much). We've not been to Flims/Laax, but I'd guess it'd be in good shape if open. Other places to look at might be Lenzerheide/Arosa, Davos, St Anton, Andermatt or Engelberg. Laax, Lenzerheide and Davos are all fairly close to Chur, which is about an hour and a 20 mins from Zurich (by car or train). Andermatt and Engelberg are a bit closer, Amatt being quite a pretty train ride from Zurich. St Anton is further, but also in Austria so probably has more cheap options if that's important.

You can normally find the official opening dates on the resort, but they aren't always that reliable so it's worth keeping an eye on how much snow has fallen to make sure they don't move the dates.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are some cracking places very near to Zurich. My favourite might be Flumserberg which is a pretty short train ride away. They stayed open late last season so am guessing they might open quite early this coming one.
Handy map and app for seeing where resorts are in relation to the main Alpine cities and airports here:
http://rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Product_Information.aspx?area=SkiRail_Product_Information
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/the-alps-ski-resort-rail-map/id610342489?mt=8
Tons of really cool places close to the fairly nearby Lucerne too (some accessible via Lake Lucerne by boat e.g. Klewenalp).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy