Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 4 Vallées 2014-15

Poster: A snowHead
Skiing your way tomorrow; looks like a potential reasonable dusting this afternoon and overnight
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, I had terrible man flu and yes, the visibility was pretty bad this morning BUT a certifiable powder day in Verbier today. Many laps of the Mont Gele cabin were made snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are there many other resorts that have their own version of Mont Gele?
A single, significant mountain. Multi sided (from a skiing point of view). Utterly unpisted. Lift accessed.
Right in the heart of the main, resort, skiing area and for a less demanding skier there is no need to go there (to get to other places) if you don't want to.

If people know of others I'd be very interested to know of them.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chamonix - Aiguille Du Midi
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Touchguru, I'm not sure that the Aiguille quite fits @rungsp's specification, however I am sure that the snow on Mt Gele today was quite sublime. Vis lifted nicely after lunch and there was some super snow high up. A lot of wind transported with a hooley blowing down from col de la Chaux.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Steve Sparks, I spotted a few wind slabs and also some slides after lunch as the snow warmed up - possibly skier release...

Snow became spring like below about 2000m by mid afternoon.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steve Sparks wrote:
@Touchguru, I'm not sure that the Aiguille quite fits @rungsp's specification,

You are quite right. ADM is better Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Touchguru, I'd say AGM is significantly less versatile. You've got the VB but IMHO the back side of Mont Gele has significantly better skiing. When I was there in Feb our guide pointed out Glacier Rond is a bump run, Cosmiques and other bits and bobs need to be in condition and how many people actually do the Mallory? Toofy Grin

2 weeks in Cham and we didn't hit AGM once. One day in Verbier, no ropes or mountain jewellery needed and many powder laps. Perhaps adds to @Steve Sparks point!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Sharkymark, Each to their own, which is what makes skiing such a versatile and fantastic experience! Ones mans meat etc Smile

My point was to give an answer @rungsp post which is:

Are there many other resorts that have their own version of Mont Gele? (Yes - Chamonix)
A single, significant mountain. (Yes-ADM) Multi sided (from a skiing point of view) (Yes-ADM) Utterly unpisted. Lift accessed (Yes-ADM)

Right in the heart of the main, resort, skiing area and for a less demanding skier there is no need to go there (to get to other places) if you don't want to (Yes -ADM)

The fact that it is too gnarly on some descents for some skiers wasn't the question. Mont Gele has some couloirs that a lot of skiers won't want to ski, but that doesn't stop them skiing others, as is the case with ADM.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ADM is special, but it's a destination, a totally separate area, you go to ADM cable with intention to ski one of the routes, and plan your day accordingly, whereas Mont Gele is conveniently slapped in the middle of the main ski area and no special plans need to be made, sometimes it's decided on the spot because you bump into someone who just did it and you are up at the top within the next 30 minutes and very soon back skiing with those of your friends who didn't want to ski it for some reason.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Two good cable cars but a more important question is what is the snow like? I am arriving next weekend.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not too shabby today by the looks of it...
https://instagram.com/p/0ksHC2IQX3/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It was excellent on Sunday although on the main lines quite a bit of foot-of-snow-over-moguls action going on...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks both,though the photo link is of an activity barely related to my rather sedate progress around a ski area.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@T Bar, just rotate it anticlockwise until it does wink
ski holidays
Snowline just above town.
Deep, heavy fresh up high but once bashed it will mean good pistes for the next two weeks.
Anything above Lac de Vaux and La Chaux was closed and lots of blasting going on.
snow report
It will be quite epic up on Mont Gele once they open it.
ski holidays
I think it will hold out for the next two weeks....touch and go...we have a huge amount of rain at village level with strong winds, snow above though.
snow conditions
Pissing down in Nendaz and no links open today
snow conditions
Up as high as you could go, Lac de Vaux the snow on piste was utterly perfect....smooth and silk like.

Lots of different snow type transitions at different elevations and windage.

Very, very windy at times!

Sorry to say @never summer, but I think Mont Gele and the itineries and other off-piste will be firm and chalky...the wind is going to have a big effect.
It will still be lovely, but it won't be fluffy.
snow report
Links closed again rather wet snow in what was open
latest report
Pretty decent snow today, visibility a bit varied but much less wind.
snow report
Pistes are near perfect all lover.
Below the 1936 bar it was sugar slush, but I quite like that.

Chassoure (aka Tortin) and Gentiannes were as benign as I have ever known them in many years of skiing here.
The recent snowfall and wind has totally filled in all the bumps, they are as flat as a flat thing.
The snow is soft, not fluffy, but firm enough to hold a great edge.
When they are like this you wonder what the fuss is about....but when bumps are big and snow is icy... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Mont Fort was in a fog cloud all of its own so I didn't go there, but I am 99% sure that the same would apply.
snow report
I went to Mont-Fort, visibility around 5, max 10 meters. Powder was good but overall feeling was quite sickening, but once past col de Gentianes towards Tortin things improved quite a lot, so not a bad day. Still would be nice to have blue skies and some sunshine.
snow report
They don't call it Good Friday without reason. Marvellous snow, Chassoure and Gentianes bump free and lovely. Stayed great until 1400 when the mist closed in. Been at it again since 10 last night.
snow report
Snow is flippin lovely both on and off piste.

Today was cloudy....very, very cloudy!

A thick cloud layer from 1600 to 3100 meant everything except the very last bit of the run into town, and the very top "mogul field" (no moguls today) of Mont Fort was in near, or total, white-out conditions.

Forecast from tomorrow is sun-sun-sun Very Happy
snow report
We skied Bruson, Verbier and Savolyeres yesterday and couldn't see a thing anywhere!

Conditions are so good that there are no guides available in Verbier until Friday!!!! Very frustrating as I had got a group together for a heliski tomorrow. Maybe next week.
ski holidays
Best day of the season. Crazy busy though. Did Rock Garden first thing in the morning and it took us more than an hour to make our way from Tortin to the top of Mont Fort, so we did the backside to stay away from lifts for as long as possible. The rest of the day was spent at teepee and we barely made it to the last lift back to Verbier side, I think I fell asleep in the sun Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bumped Into most of Verbier backside yesterday. Some nice snow to be had in amongst some horrible stuff and a bit slippy in places. The pole out was absolutely dreadful. Rock solid, trying to hold an edge to avoid sliding into the lake.

Went onto Greppon Blanc which was lovely.
latest report
Vallon d'arbi still has lovely snow and it only runs out 30m before the end. Front face of Savolyeres has transformed giving stunning spring snow. Plannards Carrefour holding out well too.
latest report
Pistes are as you would expect:
Up high they are really nice
At the bottom they are very slushy.

Top to bottom it is 100% coverage and everything open, if you are OK with slush it is all good down to resort.

Off piste...be very careful, lots of slides now....normal for the time of year.
ski holidays
Savolyeres shut yesterday. Thought we would have a whizz around for one last time and were rewarded by amazing conditions on piste. There was no one there.

The Verbier side was traditional spring conditions, hard and slidy in the morning, a window of loveliness around lunchtime and the slush fest later.
latest report
A real fin de saison feel around. Quite a few lifts have shut and not many people around. Bumps on Mt Fort are monumental but Chassoure and gentianes are skiing well. The more humid air yesterday softened things nicely. Raining to 2000 today, but hopefully clearing up for cow fighting tomorrow.
snow report
Thinking of heading up tomorrow @Steve Sparks, decent enough pistes still around Attelas etc? Will be taking the Mrs, so don't care what off piste is like for once Very Happy
ski holidays
@coddlesangers, pistes still in good nick. Sadly Mayenzet chair has shut so if you go below the Blunt you have to go to Medran. Possibly 5-10cm fresh over the last 24 hours.
latest report
Mucky weather yesterday. Brightened up enough to make watching the water slide at the Ultime Session good fun. Snow unbelievably sticky in the afternoon.

Lifts close at 1700 today. It's been a great season.
snow report
That's it. That's all. Even the fresh snow on Mt Fort was humid and sticky by lunchtime.

Retired to watch the second half of FC Bagnes vs Orsieres. Sadly Bagnes lost 2:1, some real off the ball fireworks though and more red cards than at a Brazillian BBQ.

Unless anyone's diung any serious touring we'll kick the thread off again in the autumn.
latest report
@Steve Sparks, See you then, have a great summer. Smile
ski holidays
Indeed, the winter here is over :0( Yes, ultra-sticky snow yesterday!
Just thought that as a newbie I would post something on this thread as I'm in La Tzoumaz year round (along with hubby Freshtrax). Enjoy the summer, time to get the bikes out Smile
Cheers all.
latest report
Winter is over.......? We have just arrived back in La Tzoumaz from Mallorca where it was 30+ degrees and it's been snowing for the last 4 hours and must have put down 12cm already!! Puzzled Puzzled
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy