Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solo trip this season-anyone offer a comparison on the various SW courses?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The nights are starting to close in, the weathers getting colder, thoughts are drifting towards snow and skiing again.........

Hello all.

As above I' starting to think about plans for the coming season. I'm at the stage now where I can't rely on groups of mates any more of ski trips, no matter I'm quite happy going solo. Looking at doing a week with some instructing focus and then possibly a bash.

I did the Snoworks All Terrain course last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Learnt a lot and was very social. I'm looking at their calendar looking at what tickles my fancy this season. I'm looking for anyone who has done a couple of their different courses that can offer some comparison? I plan to drop Phil an email too.

What I enjoyed most about the course was the into to off piste it gave and getting away from the crowds-the sense of really being in the mountains The backcountry and safari courses are appealing although the latter I wonder how much time is used up driving back and forward to the resorts each day? I'd have ideally liked to go the first week of Feb, although I'm flexible it will just spread things out a bit-plan to go the end of March for a second week. This means Gressoney, not an area I've skied before but like skiing in Italy. There is a little bit of a potential catch here as if they can't pair you with someone you have to pay a supplement. There's also the Off Piste course based out of Val d'Isere but these are half days and I really fancied getting away from the crowds and you're a bit limited as to how far you can get in 3 hours. However there a bonus with the Val/Tignes courses that week as Mark Warner are offering discount ski passes but it's not a lot in the scheme of things.

I moved between Lv 4 and 5 on the AT course, was laid up with an injury until Christmas time last year which meant I was way down on fitness so found the fitness more challenging at times than the skiing but won't be an issue this time round.

Also are their any alternatives to consider Warren Smith would be one but seem to be confined to Switzerland, and not as much variety-sounds like a version of the AT course Snoworks offer where I'd ideally like full days if possible.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I must have been on about at least ten Snoworks trips since I first discovered them about six years ago, so I am obviously a fan. I have always booked solo and have always been paired up with a room mate. I have never heard of them charging a supplement if they cannot find someone to share. I have always assumed that you would still pay the standard sharing rate if Snoworks cannot find someone else, but you should obviously check that with them.

I have been on the Gressoney trip and it is excellent, given as always good snow conditions. The hotel is four star and the chair lift at the back is as close as you can get. It actually bolts on to the back of the hotel! You have expressed some concerns about cost, so being a four star hotel drinks including wine are quite expensive and there is not much else in the village. The food is excellent and is probably as good as I have experienced on a skiing holiday.

I have been on several Snoworks safaris. I think the term safari is a bit confusing in the way that Snoworks use it, as you are simply being driven to different areas every day, not travelling from hut to hut as I tend to think of a traditional safari. They will have you on the lifts by 9.30 and you will get three hours skiing in the morning and three hours in the afternoon, the same as you would if you were doing two of their half day courses on the same day, but what you will not be able to do is get in a bit of free skiing at the end of the day, as you have to meet up to be driven back to base again.

You might also consider SCGB Freshtracks, who I tend to spend an equal amount of time skiing with. Most of their trips include five full days and sometimes six of skiing and/or guiding. I find the advantage of Snoworks is that you will get better consistency of instruction, however a lot of their trips are Tarentaise based as most of their instructors live there during the season. Freshtracks will give you more options with regard to resorts.

I have been on one Warren Smith course and have found their teaching method somewhat different to Snoworks. The instructor we had was excellent however I don't think their methods are compatible with Snoworks and I found it a bit difficult to mix and match their techniques. I think they only use Verbier through the winter which is a bit pricey to say the least. Warren Smith however also many repeat customers which is a great endorsement, but I would suggest that having discovered Snoworks you stick with them for at least the time being if it comes down to a choice for you between those two.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
richjp, Thanks for taking the time to write a comprehensive reply. It's exactly what I was after.

Cost. I'll have to find out what the potential supplement could be-it clearly states this on the Gressoney week that if they can't sell the bed it will be applicable. I think for £450 of essentially 5 days of guiding and tuition it's good value. As I'll be on my own I'd really just want some decent scran and a warm bed-the hotel does look nice though!

I'll have a look at Freshtracks, it looks like WS have course in Cervinia now. I don't expect I'll see any of the EK crowd of SW instructors out in Gressoney but you never know. Phil is worth the price of admission alone if you get him as our instructor.

On the Backcountry how much walking/skinning did you do? I'd wonder what group to put myself into as this will vary from group to group. Without sounding big headed I was well ahead of the other group 4's last time, not a better skier necessarily just 'keener' and wanted to do more rather than wait for other, however in group 5 I was easily one of if not the weakest!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bene,

I have never had to do any skinning on a Snoworks regular Backcountry trip. The most walking I would say was about twenty minutes at a time, although I remember one trip when conditions were so poor that we were poling and traversing for about half an hour. There might be one or two walks where skinning would be more efficient but it's not essential. As I understand it the only Snoworks trips where touring kit is mandatory is on what are described as their Back Country Access trips which are different to what they simply class as Backcountry. When off piste conditions are good you may not have to walk at all.

As for groups, the same with Freshtracks, it's always a bit difficult if you fall somewhere between two levels, so I cannot offer much help with that one. As you said that your fitness will be better this time, given minimal walking you could be OK in a higher group.

I suspect that the price supplement in Gressoney is because of the fact that it's a good hotel. Snoworks might let you make a provisional booking subject to them finding someone for you to share with.

Phil actually led the Gressoney trip when I went. It's not that they do not work outside of the Tarentaise, more a case of that they spend more of their time within the Tarentaise. Phil and Emma also led the trips to St. Anton that I did with them.

I'm glad you found my post useful.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
richjp,

Thanks for the additional info, I was in a rush with my last post as taking the dog to the vet!

I've been to St Anton before, and would love to go back however as stated I'd like to split my trips up a bit and this falls a bit too early for me but I might re assess. It's DIY travel too for the Gressoney trip, regardless of plans I would have waited until Christmas time to have booked, so flight prices may creep up If I wait. There's nothing actually stopping me booking whenever really-one of the perks of solo trips I guess! What group have you been in the past? Would you say you enjoyed the back country the most? I'm not overly familiar with Gressoney but always like trying new areas. If I hope to ski to any sort of competency the next my idea of après is a couple of beers when I get back and a couple of wines with a good meal and then bed.......

It's good to hear that Phil and his regular team get out of France, I've not met Emma as she was commentating on the Sochi games, however Phil's enthusiasm is infectious! I'll do some more investing and report back.

Cheers

ETA I don't know why but I wrongly assumed that the 'Access' course was perhaps on taking it at face value a sort of bridge between off piste and OFF PISTE if that makes sense?! As you suggest it more about if you happy skinning/hiking as per their description.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bene, We seem to have this thread to ourselves.

In terms of enjoyment I would say that I have enjoyed the Back Country and Safaris the most, although I am booked on an Off Piste week in Val in December, primarily because I wanted to get a week in before Christmas. I find Snoworks course descriptions a little bit muddling for new clients. In my experience both Back Country and Safaris are predominantly off piste with a greater emphasis on guiding rather than instruction. What they describe as their Off Piste courses have a greater focus on instruction.

Having said the above, one of the things that I like about Snoworks is that they are very flexible in responding to actual snow conditions. On Off Piste courses if there is fresh powder around, they will make sure you make the best use of it and will not get hung up on any pre planned programme of instruction for the week. There will still be instruction, but you will spend as much time as possible skiing the powder rather than doing too many exercises. By contrast last season I went on a Safari where off piste conditions were very poor all week, so we spent much more time on technical stuff. I actually improved my mogul technique on a Safari week!

The difference between Back Country and Back Country Access, is that with Back Country you mainly use the lifts with some occasional walking depending on conditions. Back Country Access means using touring kit (i.e. skinning) to get to similar but different terrain as with the Back Country courses, however it is not full on all day touring, just using skins for up to half an hour at a time to get to places that would otherwise be impractical.

I hope I have not added to the confusion with this post? Note where I have used capitals (Off Piste) to describe the courses, as opposed to mentioning off piste skiing in general terms.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone done Race Carve? We were thinking about it for a pre-season training warm-up.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richjp,

Cheers. The Gressoney trip brings a bit more of a DIY element to it, Newcastle have flights for £98 add on a bit for carriage though. Can you recall how much the pass was?

I ended up getting destroyed in the bumps by Phil last time. I met a couple of guys who were on the bumps course, they'd been with SW many times and always went of the bumps courses as there was less demand they normally had an instructor to themselves. I've also looked at the Off Piste course based out of Val D the week of the 1st Feb. As you say I'd imagine they see how the conditions are on the day/week. We had the best conditions I've ever had I'd say last Feb in Tignes, plenty of snow inc two bluebird days so it was all off piste.

Gressoney is winning at the moment, if I'm going DIY with flights and transfers I might add a few days on, hire a car and check out some areas I've not skied before.

Cheers

lynnecha, I've not done the race carve but can vouch for the quality of SW courses. Emma and Phil have a racing background with the former being a ex racer.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bene,

Were you on this Bumps course Puzzled

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stewart woodward,

Wasn't on that one, however I had a spectacular fall which I'm glad wasn't captured on camera, I claimed a false release Shocked But regardless I somehow ending getting hit in the nuts by one of my skis....... Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy