Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Crash Reel

Poster: A snowHead
I watched The Crash Reel last night. I know its been around a while but 'wow' what a film!
Is the silly debate about weather to wear a 'lid' or not still going on? and if so please give this film a go it may change your views.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have the film on the Sky box, only caught the last 10 mins or so the other night, but have seen various bits of it over the past year in various places.

As for The Debate, I fear it'll never truely leave us.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
while the film is interesting/inspirational and all them words it isnt going to convince anyone on a ski holiday who doesnt currently wear a helmet to change there mind.

not unless that person decides to leave the kids back at the chalet and start airing 30ft out of the half pipe before lunch rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Eddie it may well do, you never know? There are some people who just do not realise how easy it is to damage your brain. I believe it is up to the individual to choose but this film may change somebody's opinion and that may save someone's 'sweed'!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
eddiethebus, The Irony is its Probably more practical to an average skier than someone hitting 30ft airs out of a pipe
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I saw this last night and it was an incredible film to watch. Although he'll never be the same again, it was a remarkable recovery and inspiring to see. The thoughts and concerns of his loving Downs Syndrome brother was particularly moving, both about his own disability as well as Kevin's recovery.

However it did hit home the risks that these athletes are expected to take, albeit willingly. The clips of the accidents on other snow sport, motorcross and skateboarding events was equally shocking, as was the feature on the death of Sarah Burke on the same halfpipe that Kevin had his accident. Out of competition many of these do not have adequate medical insurance....Sarah Burke's family were left with medical bills of $500k.

Without going into the whole helmet debate again, and as I'm unlikely to ever think of attempting even some of the most basic stunts these guys do its easy to think it won't impact me, it really did hit home the impact of a head injury on those concerned as well as the family and friends of the victim.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just watched it. Bloody hell it was good.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Where's the soddin' link???
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
this film may change somebody's opinion and that may save someone's 'sweed'!

Good word.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.putlocker.ws/file/B74BDCE1D8AA63AD#
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mag1882, giving my AV software a complete brainfart Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My link would be Sky's catch up service. Other than that I cant help you. But still try to have a gander if you can.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://thecrashreel.com/welcome/?index.php
I don't think the film is there but worth a look.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I finally got to sit down and watch Crash Reel this weekend - and it was well worth it. Some interesting echos in the story to what happened back in F1 during the Hunt/Lauda/Stewart era, with competitions and sponsors forever expecting athletes to push further, but with nobody there to represent their voice and say 'Enough'.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AFAIK this link to the movie works... I'm behind a firewall at the moment so can't test it myself.
http://viooz.co/movies/20814-the-crash-reel-2013.html

Apparently Kevin Pearce is up for the National Geographic Adventurer of the Year award too
snow report
The link works!
latest report
Masque, it works fine, turn off the AV.
latest report
Thanks for the link Richard_Sideways, I've been meaning to watch this and I was not disappointed. Really interesting to see how KP's sponsors stood by him and how other athletes with TBIs are not so fortunate (plus the fact that they regularly don't get insurance that covers them outside competition).

It did however reinforce my perception that Shaun White is devoid of any true emotions and it all boils down to how it may affect his ability to win.

If ever you needed an example of a solid family unit, I think here you have it! Great documentary.
ski holidays
I like your username gnarbeque
snow report
Compare the number of people wearing helmets now to five years ago and its obvious that people are getting the message
ski holidays
The thing is chances are if you hit a tree at 40+ mph a helmet ain't gonna help much, but to me if it saves me getting concussion on that one stupid edge catch when your messing about so I can carry on that's enough of a reason for me.
ski holidays
Nick'n'Kim wrote:
Compare the number of people wearing helmets now to five years ago and its obvious that people are getting the message

Well there's certainly a lot more helmet marketing and use today, but unfortunately snow sport injury rates have been unaffected.

I don't think many people have got that message.
latest report
Plenty would say that wearing helmets gives a feeling of safety that encourages irresponsible skiing/riding. Personally I'd say Ski Tracks app is more responsible
ski holidays
There was a fresh report presented at the International Extreme Sports Medicine Annual Congress last month, which again showed that the number of deaths has remained roughly constant over the past 15 years, however the number of severe head injuries has decreased. The study also concluded that if you're impacting on something like onto rocks, or a tree or other object, then the helmets effect is marginal, but if you're hitting your head onto a hard ground surface like hard packed snow or ice they become effective.

Draw your own conclusions from that, but the final words of advice from the reports author, Dr Scher, was “it’s not a bad idea to use one.”
ski holidays
best documentary I have ever seen. very moving
snow conditions
Well I was there when The Duke caught an edge on a blue run during a bash, flipped forward and smashed his temple onto the piste. Knocked out, concussion, memory loss, temporary blindness in one eye, hospital etc. Very serious. It is these type of injuries that helmets seem to help with. He did buy one afterwards.
latest report
Quick update on this - "The Crash Reel" just won the Emmy for Outstanding Informational Programme
snow report
We stumbled across the Crash Reel in SKY box sets last night.
What a stunning documentary, what an amazing family.
The ending was quite astonishing, and I didn't see it coming, although one can't help wondering if Kevin ever had the connect in his brain between actions and consequences.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

one can't help wondering if Kevin ever had the connect in his brain between actions and consequences.

Strax, Do you mean prior to the accident? I've seen this summed up by racing drivers best saying "You have to believe nothing will go wrong with the car; that the suspension won't collapse on you at 300kph, that the brakes will stop you in time and that if you go for a gap, the other guy won't crash into you. If you don't believe in your car and yourself, then you just can't do it. Once you start thinking like that, its time to quit."
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy