Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It's November, the Alps are Tropical - But Change is Afoot at Last :)

Poster: A snowHead
- Freezing levels on the up - to over 4000m Confused

- No sign of snowy precipitation (according to Weathertoski.com) until very late in the month rolling eyes

- Second consecutive poor/warm November Sad

I know these things happen but (at this time of year) I can't stop watching webcams and weather websites; and never sleep soundly until the Alps and Scotland are blanketed by snow and early season resorts like Tignes, Val T and Cairngorm get some lifts spinning wink.

Please tell me I'm not alone (er, should we form a support group?) Laughing

EDIT: (18 November 2015): "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...." Never in doubt I say Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 18-11-15 12:46; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have Faith and Pray!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cycling was wonderful today mind and tomorrow were back to the Lac du Bourget
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
While it's true that the past week has been more like summer than November, on hikes this week I have found the ground frozen and ice on puddles. So I suppose the clear nights are cold, though the days are warm. Nevertheless, the "goldener Oktober" we usually expect seems to have changed into a golden November. Whether this means another late season start, I wouldn't like to say.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

Tignes has lifts spinning... snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict, you really don't have the right attitude for this at all, do you?
You see, as my dear old Granny always said, there is only so much Cold to go round.
So you don't want to waste it in November (or, even worse, October).
No, you want to keep it for the December.
Then you'll have yummy conditions for the start-of-season-proper
(Not natural at all, these maniacs on planks when its still Autumn!)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure whether to go kayaking this weekend, or sliding and beer drinking at the glacier. Nice choice to have! Shame there isn't enough water in the Inn for river surfing though.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Not natural at all, these maniacs on planks when its still Autumn!
Er, that's us - Stubai and Hintertux for three days' skiing in a week's time Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On the best winter in the last decade (at least) there was not one drop of snow at 2500m on 30th November. None. Niente. Nada. Tignes was green. I went mountain biking at 2500m in La Plagne and didn't see any snow at all, except for a few forlorn patches under the snow cannons. 10 days later we were up to our necks in it (literally).

Last year we had loads of snow in early-mid November and Christmas ended up being a near-disaster...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It is completely normal to not have snow in early november. And also warmer autumns happen quiet often.
Suggestion: switch off your internet. Because that's your main problem currently. Really.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm not going skiing on the pre-Christmas week this year, for the first time in 9 years.. so rather selfishly, I don't care!

It's quite nice to not obsess over the early season conditions for once (I'm telling myself this because secretly I wish I was going skiing...!)

But seriously, I have faith that there will be epic snowfall across the Alps by mid-December.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
by recollection, it's not nearly as warm as last year...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
High pressure all along the north Mediterranean is blocking any precipitation for at least another 7 days.

I was planning to go out for the start of the season in VdI (28 Nov) but as said, it's looking very like last December again.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I read somewhere months back that this winter the atlantic is likely to be colder (or warmer) due to different current flows than normal and this was likely to lead to storms and fronts and snow and laughter and fun for all in ze Alpes.

And it all ended happily ever after Smile

p.s. MountainAddict I found it for you
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3089657/Brace-snowstorms-freezing-temperatures-Met-Office-confirms-fears-El-Nino-cause-harsh-winter-Europe.html
once I read that I stopped looking , I suggest you do the same for now wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ken Dolman, we are in val disere for opening week. We'll have a great time just like last year....skiing may or may not be involved...it would be nice though
snow report
andyman wrote:
HoneyBunny wrote:
I'm not going skiing on the pre-Christmas week this year, for the first time in 9 years.. so rather selfishly, I don't care!

It's quite nice to not obsess over the early season conditions for once (I'm telling myself this because secretly I wish I was going skiing...!)

But seriously, I have faith that there will be epic snowfall across the Alps by mid-December.

Its never too late to change your mind.... Come and join us for the last week of November in Hintertux, plenty of snow, oh and I nearly forgot, opening race of FIS Telemark World Cup so LOADS of parties Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

I just know you're dying to get the early morning, dark shades out Cool

mountainaddict A little bit of faith please!!!
snow conditions
HoneyBunny wrote:

Its never too late to change your mind.... Come and join us for the last week of November in Hintertux, plenty of snow, oh and I nearly forgot, opening race of FIS Telemark World Cup so LOADS of parties Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

ski holidays
Quote:

Cairngorm

Puzzled Puzzled

Hardly an indicator for a good alpine season...anyway who cares, you aren't allowed to get off the lifts Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Calm down folks - my original post was entirely tongue in cheek... rolling eyes

Quote:
Cairngorm: Hardly an indicator for a good alpine season
Never said it was - but it's somewhere (with the other Scottish areas) that we visit regularly and that, more often than not, delivers November turns Smile.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 7-11-15 11:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@mountainaddict, not irony again!!

It's all over this place... wink
snow conditions

Appreciate that the OP was tongue in cheek, but worth pointing out that conditions can change very quickly as we approach the start of the season. On 1 December 2012 Meribel looked a bit like this:

And then on 8 December 2012...

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 6-11-15 9:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

On 8 December it looked like this!
latest report
I keep looking at the Tignes welcam myself as I will be travelling out on 9th December. We went two yrs and it was perfect conditions! Really hoping its going to be similar conditions Madeye-Smiley
latest report
I'm at 1200m in Morzine and there's been a frost on the ground every morning. So although the days are quite warm when the sun is out, it's still cold when it sets in the evening.
snow report
So far November is not very different from November last year, but it doesn't necessarily mean that December will be similar too.
snow report
Calm down Scott, I always work on the basis that any snow before December won't be there by the time to resorts open as generally it's too warm to stay so far too early to be calling it.
ski holidays
As was said few days of heavy snow can transform things very quickly in the alps. Scotland is a different matter - lots of rocks to cover, competing weather systems hitting from all angles. It usually needs a bit of a build up and can be very fickle.

I have skied in November in Scotland but about the 20th of December is when it will usually kicks off. I remember 2009/2010 was a late start in Scotland too, the epic year.

It's nice to see snow on the ground but has no real relevance - if anything the wind has been the factor which has been most disruptive to Scottish skiing in the past couple of years not the lack of snow.

Cooling down next week in the highlands by the looks of it.
ski holidays
Glorius today

Barry puts the hammer down

Wheelie good

Le Mont Blanc

Turkish women's pro rider
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is this the new name for the "OMG NO SNOW" thread which IIRC traditionally starts on bonfire night?
ski holidays
Did you do the full circuit round lac de bourget? That bit in your photo by the lake is a bit scary if the road is busy.
ski holidays
!6 degrees on my ride this afternoon up to L2A

[/img]
latest report
emwmarine wrote:
Did you do the full circuit round lac de bourget? That bit in your photo by the lake is a bit scary if the road is busy.

Not today, easy ride up to the Colombier

https://www.strava.com/activities/427581342

last time I did the full circuit was in 2014

https://www.strava.com/activities/180070780

There are a lot of bad drivers on the lake road, but it is the Savoie, they are probably all coming back from a well lubricated lunch stop in a lakeside cafe.
snow report
doddsie wrote:
I'm at 1200m in Morzine and there's been a frost on the ground every morning. So although the days are quite warm when the sun is out, it's still cold when it sets in the evening.

1200 m in Morzine are you using the old Courchevel height definitions or do you live on the Avoriaz road?Happy))

Andy
latest report
At the highest point in the Zermatt ski area (Klein Matterhorn) it is struggling to get down to zero at night. That is at almost 4000m. We get lower than that at the height of summer. Forecasts are for daytime temperatures up into double figures at 3000m in the next few days. As that is at the bottom of the currently opened pistes I do wonder what state they will be in by the time I get out there in a week and a half. Mind you they look pretty good at present.

I do love the November snow worry. Later in the season it is just about top up and powder v hard pack.
snow conditions
I'll just bring my road bike when I go to Val Thorens in a few weeks. If it's still this warm it can be a late summer cycling holiday. Very Happy
ski holidays
Check out Tignes webcam. No doubt once this tropical spell is over we are starting from near scratch all over again.
snow report
Same as last season..
snow report
andyman wrote:
HoneyBunny wrote:

I would LOVE to!!! Unfortunately I have no holiday left *sad face*

However I will make up for it in Arabba, there will be shades aplenty Cool Cool Cool
ski holidays
Everyone chill... It doesn't matter if it snows now or not - most resorts don't open for another month anyway.

I went out hiking today, and it's actually really cold when not in the sun. We went out later than we usually would, started about 10.30 in the shade and there was a very hard frost at Lac des Plagnes and (obviously) the higher we got the more icy it was, the ground has started to freeze which is more important at this point, and something which didn't happen too much last year. So, although it's warm in sunshine remember it only takes frozen ground and a few hours snowfall and - boom - ski resort.
latest report
test
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy