Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow report 2014/15

Poster: A snowHead
Sounds great ^^^ would love to see the pictures!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.cairngormmountain.org/webcams/live/ptarmigan1.jpg

and

http://www.cairngormmountain.org/webcams/live/basestation1.jpg
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hope this link works

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=748957468531107
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@larry1950, nice video, but typical stingy Scotland - no booze on the Rescue Dog. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Think how many more people would want rescuing if he did carry some whisky @Jonpim,. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Magic close to home 10 mile tour in the Southern Uplands today, very nice powder, but very poo-viz. Big (I mean huge for my part of Scotland) full depth avalanche discovered en route, recently self-triggered. Cool descent to the M74 by torchlight. Cool

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88898381@N02/sets/72157649336482618/

A 2 metre probe fully submerged at about 250 metres along the run-out

Powdery fun. Smile

On the headtorch descent to the motorway
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@moffatross, Cheers for the photo's. Really interesting to see the avy photo. Looking at the background you would not believe that there was 2m under there. I guess it was a stream bed or similar ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great pics moffatross! Must save ourselves about 150 miles of driving to the Highlands and tour on your manor sometime!

Meanwhile, here's some Glenmore/Cairngorm ski tour pics from 12th Dec, as described earlier Very Happy - we could only have dreamed of moffatross's 'poor visibility' Laughing :

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cool pics, mountainaddict. I think the IBSC had fun through those trees too ... or were you in their group ?

Incidentally, I was reflecting on the implications for a British skiing forum that at the time of writing, the whole of Scotland thread has had many times less page views than most of the Alpine resort threads (even some of those that are still closed through lack of snow), a single mountain in Japan thread, and more ironic still that it's had less views than the Alps 'Should we go or stay at home ?' thread. Laughing

AndAnotherThing.., you know I'm always pleased to pimp my photos Toofy Grin . We were standing about 2/3 of the way down the run-off. We probed in the gully line but 2 metres was plumbed in multiple places so it wasn't necessarily the burn bed itself. A nasty terrain trap indeed. More crown wall was still likely to break left and right so we didn't want to go any higher up. Skullie
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
Cool pics, mountainaddict. I think the IBSC had fun through those trees too ... or were you in their group ?
Just the four of us out on our own. What's the IBSC Puzzled International Bankers Ski Club Laughing ?? If so, sounds just like my kind of thing.... Very Happy !

Great point re. the number of views of the Ski Scotland thread. The likes of us will just have to keep plugging away as ambassadors to promote the skiing delights north of the border - vs those who have never been because they've heard "It's $h1t" rolling eyes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great pics and reports! I had my first experience of Scottish skiing in Glenshee this February. Since first learning in the alps (St Gervais) a few years ago I've only used French resorts until last year or so. I have a season ticket for Yad Moss in Cumbria which is great when there's snow but it's still 2hrs drive. An extra couple of hrs driving for more than ten times the area and some really great terrain means I'll be back to Glenshee this winter too! I've actually done some of my favourite skiing here in Britain and the pictures you guys have posted are making me see the benefits of buying touring gear. Just when I thought I'd spent all I'd need to for a few years to come! Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@moffatross, nice photo of you heading down towards the motorway!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
the pictures you guys have posted are making me see the benefits of buying touring gear
Best ski-related purchase we've ever made Graham Warren. We've had great days out in the Highlands and in the Pennines too, plus multi-day trips in the Alps.

You can pay an arm and a leg for the kit but Mrs MA and I bought (half price) ex rental skis/bindings/skins then got new boots for a song from German eBay. Some great prices here - new skis and bindings from about €370. http://www.sport-conrad.com/ski_touring/1/

Or, a couple of shops in Aviemore used to (and may still) sell ex-hire touring skis (ie Mountain Spirit and Braemar Mountain Sports).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, crikey looks like it's easy to spend a few quid! Reckon I'll be going down the second hand route for now. Might just get touring bindings for the skis I've got at the minute - Line prophets. And get some newish all mountain/piste skis for the resorts. Thanks for the advice!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mountainaddict, let me know if your touring near yad moss this season if you don't mind another body coming along.....

Alpine boots and dukes ...... Only skinned once for 1 hour in the Alps but loved it.
latest report
We went to Glenshee on saturday for a relaxed halfish day of skiing. We knew the road was a bit dodgy so only left Edinburgh after 8am, got to the snow gate around 10am then sat there until about 11am before they opened it, Braemar side was opened a lot earlier. There was a decent amount of snow between the fences at Glenshee but it was pretty bar otherwise, I have to commend them for opening so early. There was only 3 lifts running initially and we lapped Butcharts for a while, the snow was lovely, really dry and chalky and only a little grass poking through near the bottom of the run. Sunnyside was opened later in the afternoon but other than that was just one of the beginner slopes. Glad we went, was a nice easy day to start the Scottish season and hopefully get some more snow to top up, have heard Glencoe is opening on friday Smile
ski holidays
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11293374/Ski-holidays-hit-by-warnings-of-poor-snowfalls-in-Alps.html
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, fantastic pictures - well jealous. Stupid Christmas parties...
snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:
@moffatross, nice photo of you heading down towards the motorway!

Cheers, nozawaonsen. Just noticed my flickr album has had over 2,000 views since a local MRT 'tweeted' and FB'd on the story about the avalanche yesterday. Shocked Although the avalanche discovery was memorable, the whole day's skiing was brilliant and because the last slope down towards the M74 is so obvious from the road, and I look at it every time I head north, the ski down to the motorway has been on my to-do list for years, and by headtorch at late dusk, it was pretty special. I'd hoped that a few people driving up towards Glasgow would have spotted us, but that we wouldn't have caused too much of a distraction. Laughing The whole ski route was on mostly superb snow, but shortly after that headtorch photo, the few hundred metres to the layby where the car was parked included some combat skiing at its most minging ... crust, slush, heather, grass, tussocks, bog, and lots of little hidden burn lines. Toofy Grin
latest report
@mountainaddict,

Decent conditions over in the Clashindarroch, but no where near as good as those look to be in Glenmore. I posted some Clash photos on the HNSC page.

https://www.facebook.com/HuntlyNordic

I heard that the piste machine has been out to cut tracks for xc at Glenmore, but we need a bit more snow and the FC to finish some timber extraction before we can cut tracks in the Clash.
latest report
It's pictures like the ones above that make me nearly want to be a skier!
latest report
Must have been some good snow last night? It tried to snow in Aberdeen but turned to rain Sad

Guy I sit next to reports lots of snow out in Alford but melting this morning.
snow conditions
Anyone heading to Anoch Mor or Glencoe with opening sheduled for Friday?

Hoping to get up between Christmas and NY if conditions warrant the effort.
latest report
Woo hoo! All five Scottish ski areas could be open at the weekend Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (weather permitting wink ) http://www.winterhighland.info/general/

Given the rocks that need covering at Glencoe that won't have happened before Christmas very often. Just a shame that Mrs MA and I have prior commitments and can't go Sad. May pencil in a Boxing Day run, all being well....

Quote:
mountainaddict, let me know if your touring near yad moss this season if you don't mind another body coming along....
The more the merrier kitenski! (Although our Pennines touring has tended to be just the Yad Moss ski area (and slightly above) when the lift has been closed.)
snow report
Other good areas are the Dodds, north of Raise and later in the Season, Cross Fell area, especially if you can get up the Dun Fell road.
snow report
Woo!!!

Unfortunately Christmas lunch with friends on Saturday and going back down South to my parents on Sunday so no skiing for me Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Is there an obvious face/area to ski on Cross Fell @Peter S? I'm reasonably familiar with the area as we've mountain biked and hiked up that way (eg the track up to the bothy from Garrigill side; on foot to Cross Fell summit ; and the tarmac to the radar station. I must have the OS map somewhere wink ....)
snow report
Spent the daylight hours today practicing some winters skills in the local hills ...

We found a sheltered gully out of the worst of the gale force westerly winds and snow showers

After a few quick single beacon searches, we eventually set up fiendishly difficult multiple burials, with transceivers buried deep, and close enough together to 'complicate' target acquisition

Green Lowther & the lights of Leadhills provided a local backdrop

And then well after dark, we enjoyed soup and coffee in the snowhole we'd dug out earlier in the day Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@moffatross, whatever the conditions still jealous that you have snowy mountains to play in on your doorstep!
snow conditions
The ones on my doorstep are a wee bit too low to assure all winter long fun, nozawaonsen, but I'm very grateful to get the chance to play in them as often as I do. Cool

Here's a shamelessly ripped off photo (from the British Backcountry Facebook feed) of someone enjoying one of today's powder stashes high on Aonach Mor. They'll have hiked to get it though ...

snow report
That's a cool photo.
snow report
@moffatross, that today mate? Heading up near you tomorrow. Visiting the in laws at gatehouse of fleet
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
@moffatross, that today mate? Heading up near you tomorrow. Visiting the in laws at gatehouse of fleet

Hi Rick
That was up at Nevis. PS It wasn't me.... I wish Happy

Ross, I'll come for a day or two on your tow when the snow hits, I'm only 1 hour away.

Cheers
Bob (who sold you the Dynastars all those years ago)
snow report
@Ricklovesthepowder, hope you had a nice xmas on the Solway.

@glasgowcyclops, yep, of course I remember you. Youngest lad has outgrown those Dynastars being about 4 inches taller than me now.

Enjoyed Boxing Day on the munro of Meall nan Tarmachan, high above the western shores of Loch Tay. Rather boney coverage, variable snow and a cloud inversion. Bootpacked and skinned most of the way to the summit with just the final pitch requiring the axe, then skied back to the parked car linking gullies, patches & rime coated heather.

Summit lunch spot, Loch Tay under the mist below

Found some nice snow in the north-east facing gullies

Linking a route back to the car
snow conditions
Well, I've spent the morning prepping the touring kit ready for the 500 mile trip to Aviemore for a long weekend from 1st onwards - what do the chances look like from those with a view of conditions? Where might we find best routes?
ski holidays
Anybody got an update for conditions in the resorts - Might pop up the road tomorra
snow report
^

http://www.winterhighland.info/general/
snow report
@moffatross, Very nice Smile
ski holidays
@craigjbarker Glencoe and Cairngorm snow is absolutely fantastic at the moment! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Saturday 27 Dec - Ski toured at Cairngorm in thick fog/zero visibility. Fresh, dry snow, with excellent cover above the mid station. Perfectly possible to ski back to the Daylodge, though cover is thin in a few spots.

Sunday 28 Dec - Downhill day at Glencoe. Ditto re. Cairngorm snow condition - absolutely brilliant, though a few loose stones in a couple of places eg Haggis Trap. The Spring Run was just fantastic - one of my favourite runs in the world - and the Main Basin is loaded. Best of all, a clear day with no queues - the slopes were very quiet for a good weather day in Scotland (must say I was a bit surprised at that Puzzled ) - and they were only charging £25 for a ticket as the Main Basin T Bar wasn't on until lunchtime after they had farmed snow onto the uptrack (< they'd done a marvellous job with that).

A few photos to follow tonight Smile.

@RobinS 'Fraid the weather looks touch and go for your trip dates.... Confused It might be okay - or it might not. It's always difficult to plan too far ahead for Scotland. Frustrating but that's just how it is. Have a look at the Winterhighland website (as highlighted by moffatross) for the best info on conditions and the weather outlook. Cairngorm ski area could be a good bet for you to start touring - the car park is at 600metres (which is above the snowline at the moment - though that can change in hours in Scotland) and you can skin either up the side of the runs or up deserted valleys either side of the ski area.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:

Sunday 28 Dec - Downhill day at Glencoe. Ditto re. Cairngorm snow condition - absolutely brilliant, though a few loose stones in a couple of places eg Haggis Trap. The Spring Run was just fantastic - one of my favourite runs in the world - and the Main Basin is loaded. Best of all, a clear day with no queues - the slopes were very quiet for a good weather day in Scotland (must say I was a bit surprised at that Puzzled ) - and they were only charging £25 for a ticket as the Main Basin T Bar wasn't on until lunchtime after they had farmed snow onto the uptrack (< they'd done a marvellous job with that).

Was there 2 of you with touring kit on?

We were at Glencoe yesterday as well and agreed the spring run was in great condition. The very top of the mountain, ie. the walk over, was looking a bit rocky but once into the actual run it was lovely, had some nice runs around the cliffhanger chair as well although the Canyon was a bit scary for me.

moffatross loving all the pics, keep them coming snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy