Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow report 2014/15

Poster: A snowHead
@davidhammy, Jealous.

Bucketed it down with snow in Aberdeen (drizzle in center but I was working just outside where it was mainly snow) on and off all day so hoping that means good things for the ski areas!

Unfortunately this weekend people have conspired against me by doing inconsiderate things like leave and be born (good friend's leaving do on Friday followed by my mate's misses' birthday night out Saturday) so doubt there'll be any skiing for me this weekend again Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davidhammy wrote:
CHIPS - HOT with salt and vinegar.

Quality Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:
I can feel a half term trip up there brewing Cool

ohhh, let me know if it firms up.........

Will do. It'd be me and the lad I think.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How are conditions up in Scotland. Things must be looking good with the recent snow of the last few weeks?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Conditions are excellent up here @Ricklovesthepowder.

http://www.winterhighland.info/general/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I heard on Wednesday that Cairngorm had all lifts and runs open (pretty rare) and Glenshee had everything except Glas Maol open, which is pretty decent!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gals Maol is the best area in Glenshee. The rest is just a warm up.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Bigtipper, I've never been there when Glas Maol has been open Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some practical advice about Glenshee please. For various reasons my wife and I cannot make our annual week in the alps this year so are looking at a few days in Scotland to at least give the skis a run out. My basic planning is looking at staying in Pitlochry and driving to Glenshee. We have our own skis and a 4X4 car (shogun) to get there. We'll be driving from Lincolnshire. So I'm aware of all the caveats about the weather and possible conditions which we'll just need to cope with, what I'm after are some practical advice or suggestions. Thanks.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
814man, Why Pitlochry ? I stay in Braemar if I'm going to Glenshee.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for reply rjs, the reason is that I've never been there and am planning all this by looking on a map. If you can tell me why Braemar is better and possibly even recommend some accommodation that's exactly the sort of help I'm hoping to get.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi@814man, Pitlochry is about 23 miles from Glenshee including a climb out of town up over Moulin Moor. Braemar is only 7 or 8 miles down the Glen from the Ski Area and the North access to Glenshee from Braemar always opens first after it's snowed. Basically, Braemar is the most convenient for Glenshee. Can't recommend accomodation as i live in Dundee so can sleep in my own bed regardless of where i'm heading to, but there are plenty of options in Braemar to choose from. When are you planning your trip?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@814man, definitely Braemar, the road from the south is more often closed as well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its very much last minute, we are planning to come up next weekend. There is no accommodation showing on major websites for Braemar but looking again at map there are some reasonable ones available in Blairgowerie which looks a bit closer.
Can I also ask those of you who know the place about practical stuff like parking, getting lift tickets, facilities on slopes, etc. Thanks
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A few photos from Glencoe (Friday) & Nevis Range (Saturday).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88898381@N02/sets/72157650701051765/

Glencoe ...

Ben Nevis from Meall a Bhuiridh, the shadow of Buachaille Etive Mor stretching across the glen ...

Winter campers at Glencoe ski centre ...

View into Glen Etive after dusk, Creise left, Buachaille Etive Mor right ...

Nevis Range ...

Towards Carn Mor Dearg and Ben Nevis from the summit tow ...

Lunch in Coire an Lochain after a run down 'Spikes' ...

'Cascades' north of Coire Dubh ...
ski holidays
@moffatross, great photos Cool snowHead
snow report
@814man, aim to get to Glenshee Car Park next weekend at 8am, the Parking Guys will guide you into a line. Go to the Ticket Office straight away to get sorted for tickets before the queue builds up, then head back to the car to get shifted. Facilities on the hill, there are 3 cafe's/restaurants but as it's half term, save yourself the bother and have a packed lunch in the car. There was barely a seat to be had in the main Base Cafe this morning for breakfast at 8.10am. Main Glen tows were running from 8.15am Saturday and Today. Best snow at the moment up on Cairnwell off the T-Bar, Butcharts Area, and Coire Fionn.
snow report
Great info thanks Backcountryboarder, the web site mentions ordering tickets on line and printing in advance then going to a different part of the ticket office, is this advised?
snow report
Thanks, Mosha Marc, although it would have been difficult to take a really naff photo with all that goodness around us. Cool I was working up on Lowther Hill ... http://www.skiclub.lowtherhills.com ... yesterday and its snow was pretty soft in the gully and on the ski off the hill at the end of the day, but some of the off-piste descents in the Highlands were a bit 'firm' Friday & Saturday ... http://lochaberblog.sais.gov.uk/2015/02/crusty/ wink
snow conditions
moffatross, particularly liking the parlor/arno catalogue shot, second from last wink

How much of the hills do you have uplift coverage for at Lowther now? Is it worth a half day on the way up north?
snow report
@Mosha Marc, haha, a bit of colour in there eh ? Laughing The main tow on Lowther isn't ready to spin yet, but when it is, you'd need to be a member (open to anyone, annual membership only costs about the same as a day pass at Cairngorm) to use it. In the meantime, the club has run portable tows in various locations for 15 or so days so far this season.
latest report
@814man, I live in Perthshire. Pitlochry is definitely a nicer place to stay than Blairgowrie. Good pubs, cafes & places to eat in Pitlochry. Plus it's quite touristy so loads of places to stay.
If you wanted to stay a bit closer to Glenshee the Kirkmichael Inn is on the way from Pitlochry. Does great meals. It's often a winter stop for us on the way home.
Used to live the other side of Glenshee in Banchory & yes agree with the others stay in Braemar, but it's a wee place so don't imagine there's much choice for accommodation. Plus bar the chipper (which is incidentally pretty decent) there are bog all places to go for a meal!
Other thing make sure you have cash with you for the Glenshee cafes if you're not taking lunch with you, they don't all take cards, and get there early early early!
Best snow last Friday was on Coire Fionn red run but main problem was only one poma running so huge queue at the bottom. I only skied it twice.
snow report
@814man, I think if you order tickets online and print in advance you would go in the door to the right hand side of the Ticket windows then knock on the door inside on the left. To be honest, if you arrive around 8am you would have tickets pretty quick. I've never ordered tickets online but i'm sure it would be pretty straightforward if you wanted to do it that way.
latest report
Thanks again for all the info everyone, looking forward to the weekend already and keeping an eye on snow forecasts which seem to be showing some for Friday and Sunday.
ski holidays
A couple of photos of Cairngorm today, the snow has held up well and most of the pistes are in a fair condition but more snow is needed.

latest report
Looking at a day at Cairngorm on Saturday larry1950. Any idea what sort of time the Cas parking gets full these days? Having said that, probably wouldn't mind bussing up from the Cas and finishing the day with a run back down Coire Laogh Mor (if skiable).
ski holidays
We have been getting up around 8.30 and in the top car park with no problem @mountainaddict, despite it being half term for some areas I don't think the car parks were ever full unlike other times but next week the Highland schools and other areas are off also English half term so could be different. Not sure what the Ciste Gully or Coirie Laogh Mor is like but OK down the fairway and along the west wall poma, think there have been people going down and catching the shuttle bus back up but the snow is quite thin in places especially off piste. They opened the half pipe today above the Ptarmigan tow for anyone interested in that.
ski holidays
Just looking at the Glencoe webcams; this half term looks exactly like last years half term - can't see a thing snowHead

Snow is on the forecast though
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, Should have said if it is very busy the top car parks could be full by around 9.30am possibly earlier, there were three shuttle buses in operation all week and some days they were sitting in the Ciste car park when we passed. The mid term holiday seems to be spread over three weeks this year so it is hard to judge how busy it is going to be.
snow report
Thanks larry1950...but in the end we decided on skiing at Glencoe yesterday as the forecast was better for the west. Didn't have a look at the eastern areas cams - but Glencoe was a pea souper above the access chair Confused, with the fog lifting a couple of times to about half way up the main basin.

Snow varied between boiler plate (early on the access runs back down to the café - though they softened later to nicer snow) and nice groomers in the main basin. Cover was extensive and it was a bonus to be able to ski back to the bottom as we've only ever done that twice before in 20-odd years.

Despite a very full car park and it being half term, queues were minimal. A great day out despite the visibility.

The Wall

Red run to car park:

Top of black run to bottom:

Black run a bit narrower at bottom:

Combat skiing - but better than downloading on the Chair:
snow report
What are conditions like off-piste at the moment? We're considering squeezing in a few days of touring this week but the webcams are not very inspiring.
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, Glad you had a good time at Glencoe and good to see your report as I am thinking of taking a trip over, don't think the run to the car park will last till I get there though unless they get more snow. Wasn't at Cairngorm on Saturday but from the webcams it was cloudy at the top but better lower down.
snow report
altis Off piste was re-frozen but softened up through the day. Warming up this week (rain possible?) so off piste should soften up. Cover is very extensive at altitude so you could be ok for some high level touring.
ski holidays
Few pics from the end of last week at Glencoe.

Plateau Poma by onemanmows, on Flickr

East Ridge by onemanmows, on Flickr

Spring Sun 2 by onemanmows, on Flickr

Plateau 1 by onemanmows, on Flickr

Below the Haggis Trap - caught, covered and groomed again by onemanmows, on Flickr
ski holidays
A bit further back, about 20 posts or so, I made a request for information on Glenshee. Can I personally thank rjs, backcountryboarder, lynseyf and Malarkey99 who all took the trouble to reply and give me some great tips and advice - apologies if I didn't follow them all, but they were all gratefully received. My wife and I are just back from a great couple of days skiing at Glenshee, we were there Sunday and Monday, and I just wanted to say much we enjoyed our first experience of Skiing in Scotland, it certainly wont be our last. We eventually decided to stay in Blairgowerie and chose a great B&B called Rosebank House (http://www.rosebank-blairgowrie.co.uk/) which I would certainly recommend. The house is on the road out of Blairgowerie leading up toward Glenshee so after an early start on Sunday we made good time getting to car park just after 9. A bit wet and slushy in car park as we struggled to get feet into ski boots for the first time in a year (note to self, try books out at home first next time) but got sorted in end and made way to ticket office. No sign of the queues we had been warned of but good advice to have cash as the cash only booths were both free. So never having skied in Scotland I really didn't know what to expect but have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Some nice runs and decent snow conditions. The wind was a bit strong and also affected the number of runs open but not a bad first day. After a good meal at a great Indian Restaurant in Blairgowerie; http://www.the-sampan.com/ we were encouraged by the weather report for Monday and were not disappointed. Another early start after classic full Scottish breakfast we headed back up the road. Arriving about the same time we were at least 10 rows further back up the car park (my wife whose calf muscles were feeling the strain noticed this!). But we were taken aback by the fresh snow all around and cold clean feeling of a real ski resort - this is what we wanted. Set off straight up the chairlift to the Coire Fionn are where we had some fantastic runs - cue me with a very big smile on my face. Overall whilst I know I have skied steeper and longer runs, enjoyed more stunning views and eaten better food in the Alps this was the Brits doing what we do best, making the most of what we have and having a great time doing it. Everyone seemed to be enjoying it, great to see so many young kids having a go, despite a few queues at pommers no one moaned, everyone we met was friendly and happy and just enjoying the good conditions. So after skiing both sides of the road we were about to head back when someone opened the Cairnwell chairfift. Our last hour was then spent on one of the most fun and challenging run I've been on in a long time.
So my overall assessment of Glenshee from a 40 something, one week a year in the alps skier perspective, is that why the heck have I not been told about this before? Loved it and resolved to be back very soon.
latest report
I was up at Glenshee last Friday and the snow conditions were excellent. Flat light/low visibility though. As we had our 5 year old with us we didn't really venture too far from the Sunnyside poma.
snow report
Quote:

why the heck have I not been told about this before?

We have been trying over the years but there is sometimes a bit of prejudice snowHead
snow conditions
Glad you enjoyed Glenshee 814man - great that you accepted that it's a case of making the best of what there is and weren't expecting heated detachable six packs etc wink . Don't rule out the other ski areas though - all quite different but all entertaining in good conditions/decent weather. Some pleasant enough villages to stay in with nice enough food options too (eg Aviemore/Newtonmore/Kingussie for Cairngorm; Fort William for Nevis Range and Glencoe).

Another tip for you: When driving up from the south, we often stay at one of the cheap Travelodges around Perth. From there you can then check the weather/snow and, on day one, get to Glenshee in about an hour; Cairngorm or Glencoe in about 90 mins; and Nevis Range in about an hour and three quarters.

On the Travelodge front, Perth Broxden is our usual - there's a pleasant pub (serving food) and a McDonald's (for breakfast) adjacent. Even last minute it can cost as little as £36.

And you may have a while to get up there yet. Cairngorm in particular usually has a very long season - lifts can be open well into April and sometimes May.
snow report
Was anyone out today?

How windy is it at the moment?
ski holidays
looks like some decent snow again at Glencoe and more forecast!

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy