Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do You Need Carre Neige?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
MadMountainMan wrote:
Does anyone know how the Austrian Alpine Club insurance stacks up. It seems pretty thorough to me for anyone going off-piste and ski mountaineering and yet is not expensive.

Doesn't cover medical costs, but will get you off the mountain and back to the country you are a permanent resident of. 99% sure you get that cover whilst travelling/driving to a mountain too.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've generally not bothered (despite skiing off-piste without a guide a lot) because I've always been careful that my travel insurance covered that. This year I've been buying season passes for the family for the first time and carte neige was 200 euro for the whole family. This is pretty similar to our family annual travel policy so definitely not cheap. In the end I paid it because a) it should be less than 2 euro per skier day b) felt like making a contribution towards the whole ski patrol / mountain rescue set up given we will be playing under its umbrella quite a lot and c) kids will be 10 and 12 and are getting pretty good and responsible, will ski easy off-piste a lot with me and may be let loose on their own for the odd on-piste run - would be nice to make everything very simple if they need help.

All that said, with the right travel cover it is a nice to have
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's was a little worrying clarky999, so I scuttled off for a closer look and it actually states that it covers "For medically necessary treatment (including medically necessary transportation to a hospital) abroad, up to EUR 10,000." So now I'm wondering how that figure of EUR 10,000 stacks up. I also checked the travel stuff and if covers travel to and from the "activities."

Giving more detail they also say: "Costs arising abroad (not in the country of permanent residence) for non-deferable medically necessary treatment including prescribed medication, of medically necessary transportation to the nearest suitable hospital up to an amount of EUR 10,000, of which up to EUR 2,000 is available for out-patient medical treatment inclusive of prescribed medication. Out-patient medical treatment including prescribed medication is subject to a deduction of EUR 70 per person and per stay abroad. This shall always be deducted from the insurance benefit paid by UNIQA Österreich Versicherungen AG, and also in the event that a different compulsory or private insurance carrier is to pay the benefit. The insurer shall pay in advance the costs for any in-patient hospital stay. Advance payment will only be made to a hospital."

However more worrying is this: "The benefits under paragraph 2 above are provided for the first eight weeks of each and every journey abroad. The sums insured are valid per person and per journey abroad." (paragraph 2 covers all the transfer, repatriation and medical costs).

So it looks like it's not a good option for an extended skiing trip such as I am looking at. I'll have to see how dog-tag stack up against the carte neige for an extended stay - I'm planning on being out for at least 9 weeks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thefatcontroller, I'm sure that in a life-threatening situation the mountain rescue teams would take appropriate action whether or not you have CN. However, I have heard it from some locals that the situation may be different with non-life-threatening situations, e.g. a broken leg. Given a history of difficulties getting reimbusements from insurance companies the mountain rescue may take the cheaper approach of blood wagon rather than heli to get you down the mountain. However, if your lift pass shows you have the right CN cover you get the heli.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if you buy a ski pass from a TO, is it possible to go to the ski office and have carre niege added afterwards?

Thanks if anyone knows.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thecramps, I think so, but it might depend on the resort.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's never been a problem in my experience - in 3 Vallees, Chamonix, Tignes, Grand Massif. That doesn't mean it's all resorts though...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In Austria I just use the Austrian Alpine Club insurance, their public health hospitals are pretty damn good and cover you under the EU card for medical treatment.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MadMountainMan wrote:

So it looks like it's not a good option for an extended skiing trip such as I am looking at. I'll have to see how dog-tag stack up against the carte neige for an extended stay - I'm planning on being out for at least 9 weeks.

No, but it's not supposed to be a replacement for proper travel insurance like DogTag and the BMC.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
That's what I was thinking. It's a pain because the others start getting more expensive once you start covering ski touring and mountaineering.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy