Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PDS Swiss plus Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2016/2017 NOT THE WEATHER

Poster: A snowHead
I've always found the swiss side quieter during half-term week (Champoussin and Morgins)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks. We'll give that area a go.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Went up the Hauts Forts today and was a bit perplexed as to where the Coupe du Monde run was.

We found Machon (pretty sharp R off lac Intrets chair) and Arête des Intrets (ridge line above Machon). There was a junction half way down Intrets showing CdM to the right and Arête to the left. But where does CdM flow, from the top? Looked over to the L off Arête but cd see nothing.

Arête is a good hard run.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We did same runs today. I think cdm just splits off from arete half way down. Cdm is nice run but more red than black IMO assuming we did the right run? Gave machon a miss as looked quite steep and had a few exposed rocks at top.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This year's challenge is to find Happy Valley. Help!! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CdM is absmally marked and seemed to swap in and out with the other black in that area. The slope angle and width make it red-ish, but the lack of piste bashing made it a justifiable black today (in my opinion).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jamescollings @slipnslide ... Thanks

Fits with my recollection. CdM/Arete only really black mainly because narrow in the upper section (above the junction). Arête lower is seriously steep in a few places.

we found a run called Combettes this morning in all the fresh ... now that was hard. From the bottom of Stade, awkward to get to. Narrow and pretty steep. Hardest run of the week.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The CdM is black because it's an FIS downhill run. Pretty standard behaviour.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Snowfraise:
from Avoriaz - Tour, Chaux Fleurie, Chaux de Roses, Cornebois.
from Chatel - Super chatel Gondola, Pds, Gabelou, Linga Gondola, Echo Alpin, Cornebois
from PlJ Take Pre la Joue then Cornebois.
Once atop the Cornebois take the track to the left, and drop in after 100m or so.
The top part is sometimes called Donkeys ( Knob ), if you head right from the top, there is a cornice, drop off the cornice, where it looks safe ( this varies throughout the season ). Otherwise you can just go straight-ish, and drop in after about 500m. If you go to far left or right you will end up back on the piste.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@WindOfChange, it's supposed to be a secret snowHead

But judging by the number of tracks the secret is out!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Had a most entertaining run on happy valley when a bunch of Scandis very rudely barged past us on the traverse and then too entirely the wrong line and had no fun at all. They were also not terribly good skiers.

We lapped them 3 times before they'd extricated themselves from the lack of gravity.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great, thank you@WindOfChange, I'll let you know how we get on. We like the little restaurant there for a morning stop, so perhaps we should spend more time in that area and have lunch there.
@DJL, I won't tell anyone. snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Coupe du Monde downhill run starts out on the ridge (the old start hut is still there), where it's also the Arete des Intrets. It then does a right-left chicane where for a short while it's only itself. (This due to the fact that hitting the lip where AdE goes straight on, at downhill speed, would put the racers in orbit).Then it gets all schizo again and becomes the run-out of the Combes du Machon (kind of CdM squared) for a little while, before the glorious left turn and 20m launch, crossing what used to be the Gouille Rouge red before they took the 3-man chair away. Then it bravely keeps its own identity whilst crossing above the forest, before twinning itself with the final schuss of the Crozats black (now a Snowcross); and then fully confirming its multiple personality disorder by becoming the last bit of the Crot blue to the finish in Prodains.

The last men's FIS downhill was in '86, at which point the winning time crept below the required minimum. The women reached the same threshold in '94, and the Morzine round of the Downhill World Cup was consigned to history. I watched both races, and got to experience the prepped (iced) course both on skis (terrifying Shocked) , and (the lower part) by moonlight on a plastic toboggan (insane Skullie Laughing).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Combette is far and away the toughest marked run in the PdS, Swiss Wall included. I've seen many a moniteur looking pretty ordinary in there...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ok, so true to my forum name I made the rookie mistake of rocking up at a private rental without any bedding....
is there anywhere I can get some in Chatel before I am lynched by my holiday group??
snow report
@shep,

1. You were smoking when you typed that, weren't you? I nearly pooped myself.

2. I have never, ever, seen you smoked by Combette wink go ESF Shocked rolling eyes
ski holidays
@rookierich,

Too rookie to " find" a bed?

Go sleep in the snow.

Seriously?
I doubt it...
snow report
@rookierich, you can rent from La Lavandiere in the village (opposite the Avalanche) but it is cheaper to buy some stuff in Intermarche.
ski holidays
@DJL, thanks so much for the pointers, headed to Intermarche this afternoon

@under a new name, aside from the trolling aspect, your comment makes no sense whatsoever
snow conditions
@rookierich, just check Intermarche will be open this afternoon. It is Sunday.
ski holidays
@rookierich, hmmm, so you don't understand the difference between trolling and being facetious either...

Nor smart enough to check whether Intermarche is open on a Sunday afternoon (it doesn't look like it).

Most French supermarkets don't open Sunday and if they do, usually only in the morning.

I can't believe the purchase cost is less than rental.
ski holidays
@under a new name, you can buy some stuff in IKEA which costs less than laundry costs. I have at times felt like equipping my chalet with that and just saying bung in the dustbin at the end of the week. But I don't know what prices in Chatel are like.
I am just wondering what@rookierich, managed to find at 11 o clock at night.
snow conditions
@Pamski, IKEA yes, local Intermarche? Why? If I was the manager I'd be just at least as expensive as renting, if renting was so pricey.
latest report
Morzine Carrefour is open non-stop on a Sunday, I nearly crashed the car when I realized.
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, why were you driving around the supermarket? Thought you'd get away with it cos you thought it was closed?
latest report
Thanks for the advice @pamski, all sorted. Thanks again to @DJL.
snow conditions
@Nadenoodlee, yes the Morzine one is open isn't it all day Sunday, and the small one in SJD doesn't close during the week, can't remember what it does on Sunday, but the large one on the way there still closes in the afternoon on a Sunday. But that one is open all day Monday. You just have to remember which day of the week it is. That is what we have trouble with sometimes.
ski holidays
The big one hasn't been opening on Sunday's since Xmas @Pamski, it's all been rather sporadic! little one in SJd is open until 12:30 on a Sunday- the 'corner shop' in Montriond is open till 8pm 7 days a week - it's saved my behind a few times- particularly in inter season. Oh roll on inter season Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Nadenoodlee, we have the Sherpa just up from the Chinfrey in Les Gets which is a bit open all hours and has improved so much and much easier to get there and park than fight all those people in the town wandering around off the paths in front of cars with their brains left at home.
ski holidays
I beeped and gesticulated twice on a 500m stretch of the Route de la Plagne today @Pamski, why do people think they can walk on the road? It's not like there's even any bloody snow on the pavements!
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, bugs me too.
snow conditions
I read somewhere on a thread recently a little list of some of the off piste areas in PDS. I can't flipping find it now, which is annoying - off there on Saturday. Can anyone else recall seeing a list recently?
snow report
Unless you have Avalanche gear, know how to use it, and are skiing with people who also have equipment and know the area @Jenniper, DONT. Quite a few people caught in slides today.
latest report
@Jenniper, it may have been "where is REALY GOOD nr GVA March 13" thread in which somebody made a nice shortlist of their favourite routes.
ski holidays
Thanks both.
ski holidays
Really struggling to get my head around the PDS piste map so thought it's just easier to ask here. Is it possible to ski from Les Gets across to Avoriaz reasonably easily ( a bit of bus is OK) or do I need to/is it simpler to just drive across to Prodains?
snow conditions
@Annie, drive to prodains (pay) or ardent (free). It will take a good hour with lifts/ buses to get to Avoroaz via Super Morzine or Prodains
ski holidays
@Annie, no expert on the PDS area but I went from Avoriaz to Les Gets and vice versa last week a couple of times. From Les Gets you go over to Morzine and to the bottom of Pleney bubble. From there walk down the hill, cross the road and continue perdendicular to the main road walking down the pedestrianised street until you get to the Tourist Office. Take Bus A to Avoriaz Prodians. They go every 10 mins or so. It takes 15 mins ish. Prodains bubble takes you up into Avoriaz.

Alternative is to take a little train looking vehicle from Pleney (it drops you on the main road nearby, I don't know where it goes from if you want to get from Pleney to Avoriaz) which goes to the Super Morzine bubble, then it's a couple of other lifts and runs from there to the top of Avoriaz resort.

It's not super easy, but not too bad either. From Les Gets, Chavannes, I think it takes the best part of an hour to get up to Avoriaz all told.
latest report
On a different topic, last week in Avoiaz on a few ocassions they fenced off and closed the run from the Stade lift down back to the bottom of Stade / Lac Intrets. It's a short red with some slalom gates on the piste and some moguls on the other. Loads of people, including ESF ski schools ducking under the tape to go down it. I couldn't figure why it was closed?

It made sense to me that the run that goes round the corner over to Le Fornet etc could be closed if it's not safe. But not the short red run straight down?

Made me think of the tragic accident earlier in the year with school children getting caught in an avalanche on a closed piste. Not because I think there was an avalanche risk on that short red run, but because of all the people ducking under the tape and the message it gives to children in ski school.
snow conditions
@Themasterpiece, I would suspect that they were going to be using it for racing or training. The clue is in the name "stade".

@Annie, if you want to ski over it's quite straightforward and you just need to walk from the bottom of Pleney to Super Morzine. Taking buses or baby trains is just a pita.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy