Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PDS Swiss plus Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2016/2017 NOT THE WEATHER

Poster: A snowHead
@snoozeboy,
Quote:

Has anyone anything to say about La Ferme des Pistes half way up Linga? I always liked the look of that place but didn't eat there yet.

We stop there regularly. The food is good and reasonably priced. Inside it's really cosy with some big stand alone heaters where there is plenty of space to dry kit. It's at its best when it's tumping down outside. They also have a very friendly dog who will help you with any food you can't finish.

Oh and most importantly the wife likes the fact that the loos are on the level and clean.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can anyone advise best locations for picnic lunches (i.e. bring your own) in Morzine/Les Gets? We are on a budget and don't want to p*ss off restaurants who might not be best pleased if they see us eating our own sandwiches...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Every restaurant would be pissed off @bigMatt, we normally just find somewhere sunshine facing - there aren't many salle-hors sacs like in some other French resorts.
If you're on Pleney and get there early there is a good picnic table and sun dial/ stone table thing with great views about 150m from the top of the bellevedere chair drop off
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@bigMatt, We use the Indian Village (Mappys?) area up Chavannes in les Gets. It has a bunch of benches and is off the piste, so quiet. If the weather turns, you can also have your picnic inside a teepee...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@bigMatt, there are some benches up at the area near the Belvedere café at the top of the Mont Chery gondola. If there weather is fine you can sit there and look over towards Les Gets.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Couple of questions about the resort if I may:

Timings. Starting from l'Amara in Avoriaz how long would it take to get to (a) Mont Chery (b) Super Chatel? In each case on skis.

For Mont chery I'm assuming the best way is to ski over to Super Morzine then down the gondola and walk across town to the Pleney?

Second Q: there are a couple of runs which were marked on an old piste map but are now called Snowcross (e.g. black from Mossette, red and blue from Fornet). What should I expect to find on something g called Snowcross?

Final Q: Restaurants near l'Amara. Any recommendations (good or bad)?

Very many thanks - all comments will be gratefully received.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@L8, depending on queues and ski speed between 1.5 to 2 hours to Super Chatel.

Lift out of Avoriaz, ski to Lindarets, Chaux Fleurie, ski to Plain Dranse, Chaux des Rosees, ski across to Combes lift, Combes, ski down Linga, new Gabelou & Portes du Soleil lifts linking through Vonnes, up one of the drags, ski to Super Chatel. So 7 lifts and 4 and a bit ski runs. I have a rule of thumb of 10 minutes per lift or run but if you press on you might do it a bit quicker.

Faffing, looking at the map or getting lost would add time. Easy enough to head over there in the morning, ski around a bit, have some lunch and head back in the afternoon.

Snowcross is controlled but unpisted terrain
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@L8, Similar timings to MC, some would say the Crot run to Prodains and navette to Pleney is "better" than the super-morzine link, ie a classic blue/red+bus, vs. a couple of greens/blues+2chairs+bubble+walk. If you then took the Pleney bubble and the Chardons piste to Chavanne, and cut across at the bottom to the skiers-right end of the front de Neige, you can be on the MC bubble in under an hour. But going via super-morzine, skiing over to LG taking in a few runs along the way, a good ski around MC, quick lunch at the Chanterelle over the back, and then home via Prodains is a (fantastic snowHead ) full day trip.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, @sarah, @snoozeboy, thanks all for the suggestions! In the end the missus and I ended up at Chez Babeth - what a hoot! What a crazy lady (where does she get that energy?!) but the food was well enjoyed (Croute and the entrecote). Rather enjoyed the kitsch atmosphere of the restaurant and found the portions very hearty, to such an extent we had no room for dessert!

Now that we have our pad out there I'll be making it my mission to try as many of the different restaurants as possible over the season. Are there any that serve good quality sit down meals that are a bit off the beaten track? Whilst Plaine Dranse is fine, it's a bit too accessible and rather busy!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@MorganW, as you might imagine, restaurants don't want to be off the beaten track, rather right on it!

the two just below the top of the linga bubble are good.

Avoriaz way, any of the Brochaux ones equally. The one skiers right on approach from Abricotine in particular iirc.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Heading out to Ardent this weekend (23rd Jan). Looking at the current forecast, there isn't a great deal of snow forecast between now and then but was wondering if there might be any powder stashes remaining and where I would be best to look? Also, will the snow park in Avoriaz be up and running? I did a season in Avoriaz many years ago but only had a local lift pass, getting the full PDS this time so planning to get over to the Swiss side. Are there any highlights? I'll be doing an avalanche awareness course and a couple of afternoons guiding with Mint Snowboarding. Any other Snowheads on the course?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@MorganW, I agree with UANN regarding Abricotine - the one skiers' right of Abricotine piste in Brochaux is called Abricotine, but there's also the one hidden behind on skiers' left that I like, but can't remember the name.

There's a new one "Escale", which is also a hotel, to the left of the gondola as you look up the hill in Super Chatel. The Plat du Jour can be good value and it has a large, sunny terrace that's in sun all afternoon, even in January.

Possibly La Ferme des Pistes, which looks nice but no one here has been to, but Sarah has someone checking out.

Haute Bise on Bassachaux during the summer.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@MorganW, have had a couple of good lunches in hotels in Morgins, but many years ago. Avoid any mentions of turnip fondue. Just horrible, as if that wasn't obvious in advance.

"I like turnip" + "I like fondue" does not equal "I like turnip fondue"
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bigMatt there is also a Hors Sac room underneath the Pointe de Nyon restaurant IIRC
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can anyone give me some gumpf on whether there are ski lockers in the new Pleney lift?

If there are lockers what size are they and are they big enough for skis/boards?

Apologies if this has been raised elsewhere.
ski holidays
Yep there are loads of lockers to rent at Pleney that hold skis. I think they are around 60 euros per week but not sure
ski holidays
Can anyone tell me what the Reds are like on Mt Chery please? Am a fairly confident intermediate who is skiing with not-so-confident intermediates and a boarder. Really keen to go to the Grande Ourse for lunch next week but don't want to bite off more than I can chew Puzzled
ski holidays
@Evan Roberts, Thanks for that info. Are the lockers big enough for 2 pairs of skis and boots or would I need 2 lockers?
ski holidays
@shep @DJL ...many thanks both
snow report
@Mountaindoc, I love Mt Chery and I'm exclusively a red run person. The Mt Chery pistes are super wide and so quiet, that any slightly nervous skiers should be fine.
If the back of Mt Chery is open, be sure to take the red there to the bottom (and you can even scoot onto a pisted black for the last part). No flat bits for boarders.

Someone else can comment on current conditions.
snow conditions
@Bertie Wooster generally most ski lockers hold a few pairs of skis and boots. I can't actuallt find any information online on the Pleney gondola lockers strangely so maybe they aren't for public use, if so you can store your own skis at the nearby ski shops for a similar fee. also consider, cold damp boots aren't very nice so you may want to store them somewhere warm.
ski holidays
We have just spent the morning on MC. The nicest run was the red back down to the village which we did a few times first thing and then when we finished. Marmotte fine, very poor viz along the ridge at the top. We scooted over to the little bar at L'Encranaz by the car park for coffee only to find it completely shut up, maybe they are away on holiday as the upstairs shuttered as well. Plan B coffee at the Grande Ourse, and that is closed today as they have a problem with water - so we went to the Belvedere - and just got there before a huge rush of GO refugees. the snow everywhere up there is lovely.
snow conditions
@Mountaindoc you can get to the Grande Ourse down a blue run, which carries on to the top of the bubble. T then you can take the bubble from the mid station back down to the village if people don't fancy trying the red down the front of Mont Chery. As @Rois1980 says, none of the reds are too nasty, although the ones off the back can be icy in the mornings and in that situation are not nice for nervous skiers.
snow report
@Rois1980, @Pamski, @Wrekingirl, Thanks so much for advice. Will book lunch and beast those reds next week Very Happy
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Kinkerne at Prodains is meant to be good...

Danger, Will Robinson!

Despite staying in Morzine we hit Avoriaz for the Ice Crash last Friday. It was pants so we decided to head back down the Prodains and go for food and a couple of beers in Kinkerne...well it was an experience!

1. Kinkerne claims to offer an Austrian apres experience but was quiet and not rammed when we walked in, having no trouble finding a big table for 12 of us. OK it was 7pm so maybe we'd missed the apres/restaurant transition point.
2. We ordered 9 beers, 2 vin chaud and 1 coffee. Beer and vin chaud took 5-10 min to arrive and the coffee needed to be chased-up.
3. We ordered food when the beers came, 6 burgers and the "Mont Blanc 1kg of nachos with home-made guacamole, for 6 to share". The nachos confised the waitress who clearly had no idea what was on the menu.
4. We drank our beers and ordered more.
5. Eventually the beers came and we chased the food - time was getting on now and we had to catch the last, 8:50 bus.
6. Nachos came out. They were about the same size as a single portion of nachos from Changabang. They probably didn't weight 1kg including the plate. They were burnt (yes, burnt - I didn't know you COULD burn nachos!). There wasn't any guacamole.
7. We chased the guacamole and got a tiny portion of pureed baby poo that was clearly out a packet and NOT home made.

And this is where our host, company owner and friend went Hulk on them Smile

8. We left having only paid for the drinks, with the nachos returned and the burgers wrapped for take-away as it was by now 8:45.
9. The burgers were so dry the sucked every trace of water from the eaters mouth.

The best bit, we had both our own chalet hosts and the 2 hosts from another chalet in our group. Don't think they will be recommending Kinkerne to either guests or their many friends in the resort...

Other than that only 2 poor experiences; the self-service restaurant at the top of the Pleney (a 10Euro omelette and chips spoilt by costing 15Euro) and the vin chaud from the first place you hit in the Tronics Express/Chamiaz bowl coming from Morzine (it was LITERALLY vin chaud - it was wine and it was hot).

Outside these 3 little thing everything and everywhere was good food, good drink, good service and good fun.
snow report
@under a new name, I just spotted your reference to "turnip fondue" and gave one of those of those involuntary shudders you get when you swallow something you can't stomach.

Of course, according to your formula, "I don't like turnip" + "I don't like fondue" (both applicable to me) may well equate to "I like turnip fondue"; but I doubt I will ever take the time to find out.
snow report
Turnip fondue sounds like a dish Baldrick might come up with! Laughing
ski holidays
Just what you need on a Monday morning, an email from the agents to say my chalet was broken into yesterday Evil or Very Mad
Seems a bit strange though, the clients had stuff taken ipads, computers, money, bijoux etc but all our stuff was left. Sonos, TV's, DVD players and DVDs, printer. The agent is going back to check if the car is still in the garage!
No signs of a break in all doors and windows still locked. Sounds a bit wrong to me! Would they really re lock it after if they had picked the locks?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Chattonmill, that is bad luck certainly. We have had a couple of break-ins to our chalet in Les Gets. A few years ago the front door (well the garage door that we use all the time) had the lock broken. Things that were stolen were cash, my handbag, and a bag from the bedroom that unfortunately had things like my Filofax (yes still use one), camera and other bits and pieces. Laptops were not taken or TVs and things like that. The broom was left outside and we reckoned that someone went in and quickly swept things up and someone else stayed on watch outside 'sweeping' the porch.

Then two or three years ago our agent reported that there had burglary again - this time there were visitors here and it was all their "I" stuff that was taken, about five iPads and phones. But these visitors admitted that they hadn't locked the doors onto the terrace so entry gained that way. Are you sure this might not have been the case? We never heard any more about that one.

Will keep an eye open for suspicious bods around the place.
snow conditions
@Pamski, it seems a bit strange that it was all locked up again afterwards. No signs of a break in according to the Gendarmes.
Either they left a window open, or the thieves are very good. The Guest entrance door wont shut without being locked, so would assume that either it is made up to collect on the insurance or someone with a key has done it.
Pretty sure the only two people with keys are honest or this would have happened before now. They also know what else of value there is so those would have gone too.
All a bit odd!
ski holidays
@Chattonmill, Do you know the clients?

It wouldn't be the first time that a spurious travel insurance claim was used to fund a holiday.
ski holidays
@DJL, No, they were sourced by my Agent. It does look suspicious though.
snow conditions
Anyone know if I can get Quorn products in the Hyper U or is it now Carrefour in Cluses? Paying a whistlestop visit to the PDS on Friday/Saturday for a snow fix and will stop if it's likely they stock anything as a ski storage gift for my friend's veggie daughter working in Les Gets.
snow report
Thanks @Sarah, @Mountain Addiction for the advice on bus times.

Can anyone advise the 'must do's' of the Chatel area, any must visit viewpoints, bars, outstanding runs, terrifyingly ancient lifts?

We have only previously skied Andorra and Tignes over the last 5 years, excited to try somewhere new
ski holidays
New restaurant/bar in Plaine Dranse - La Folie des Neiges

I went with the missus the other day for lunch, a few days after it opened. It's on the right-hand side in Plaine Dranse, at the arrival of the Pierre Longue chair from Pre la Joux. They seem to be looking for more hedonistic, Folies Douces, atmosphere than many of the usual, rustic Chatel on-piste restos, with an outside bar with DJ, a visible rotisserie with suckling pig (on the daily menu) and lots of champagne branding. In my view this is a welcome addition to Chatel's other restaurants, though I wonder if Chatel will offer the market it targets. Maybe it's a response to the new developments in Chatel which continue to pop up everywhere.

I had the suckling pig, which was very, very good, though the gratin it was served with wasn't, as the potatoes were cut too thin into ribbons and cooked al dente, which in my opinion, didn't work. The missus has a salmon en croute, which looked fine and wait for it, the chips were proper chips, from potatoes instead of the freezer.

Prices were pretty good, on a par with other restaurants. We lunched early and left before the DJ started, so I don't know what that was like.

A lot of restos open with enthusiasm and then go to pot, or rather freezer/microwave, when the novelty of running a restaurant succumbs to the attrition of the daily routine. I hope this one doesn't. Along with La Ferme aux Pistes in Linga, it's my new fave on the Chatel side of the PdS.

(Edited to correct the name of the restaurant)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 8-02-16 21:43; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@snoozeboy, sounds interesting, let's hope that it lasts.
ski holidays
Following this weekend's Rugby Games... can anyone suggest the best bar in Morzine for bigscreens that will be showing Saturday (13) and Sunday (14) games?
snow conditions
@jamescollings, The Rhodos were this weekend "showing all the matches live in HD on our 4 Mega large screens." so imagine that will be the case next weekend also.
latest report
@jamescollings, Pretty sure Dixie bar will be showing all the games.
snow report
I'm off to Avoriaz next week. I realise its likely to be busy as its half term so any tips on what might be some quieter runs to enjoy in the area? (I'll be getting an area lift pass)

Cheers! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy