Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newly qualified instructor in need of insurance.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

My daughter, Nadine, has recently passed her CSIA level 2 qualifications and is embarking on her first season as a ski instructor. She will be working for 6 months at Squaw Valley, CA USA. (I'm not a jealous Dad at all !).

The advice we are after is can anybody recommend an insurance provider who caters for ski instructors for a season long trip ?

Many thanks

Wheely
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ha! If I'm not mistaken she may be sharing a house with my stepson L and his girlfriend A, as he mentioned he had recruited housemates from Woking. Not sure, but I think the ski school provides medical insurance if that's what you're concerned about. (He'll be mortified to know that I am even discussing his plans with anyone on a ski forum!). BTW-I can confirm he is an all round lovely chap as is A.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The ski school will have accident and liability insurance for while she is at work, but she will need the usual travel and medical insurance, plus accident and liability insurance for when she is not at work. Try MPI - http://www.mpibrokers.com/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
quinton, +1 My son is covered by his ski school.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

My son is covered by his ski school.

My point is that instructors (and many other seasonal workers) are usually only covered by their employers' liability insurance while they are at work. Outside of work, they need their own personal insurance. For travel and work in the US and Canada, this is particularly relevant for medical insurance, repatriation and personal liability insurance.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies and I agree with you Quinton about the usual travel and medical insurance so thanks for the link.

Perty you are correct it is your stepson that my daughter is sharing a house with, small world !!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski School insurance may not give all the cover you might want, repatriation for example. This season I am with ERV as they offer a policy which suits what I am doing best.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Only place I could find it was BASI. My daughter nearly went to Squaw too but ended up join back to Whistler. She has CSIA but also has BASI so not sure if you can get it without BASI reg.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CSIA membership includes liability insurance while working, but only in Canada and it may possibly also cover USA, but OP should check. Either way, the ski school should have employers' liability to cover their employees while they are at work; and it is important to check this. Outside of work, a seasonaires insurance from someone like MPI will cover for sickness, travel, repatriation, personal property etc, but the MPI policy expressly excludes injuries and liability while at work on the mountain.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the advice. I have used ERV and they were very good. We are checking with the ski school to see what is covered. Thanks again.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
quinton wrote:
CSIA membership includes liability insurance while working, but only in Canada and it may possibly also cover USA, but OP should check. Either way, the ski school should have employers' liability to cover their employees while they are at work; and it is important to check this. Outside of work, a seasonaires insurance from someone like MPI will cover for sickness, travel, repatriation, personal property etc, but the MPI policy expressly excludes injuries and liability while at work on the mountain.

It is worth checking out what an MPI like policy considers "while at work on the mountain." At the ski schools I have worked for, workman's comp insurance covers injuries while teaching, but many of the schools expressly say that it does not cover other activities like non-paid training clinics, skiing in uniform while waiting to be assigned a lesson and torchlight parades (which may not be "mandatory" but in which 1st year instructors are strongly encouraged to participate).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy