Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smart Watches...

Poster: A snowHead
kieranm, will take a look later cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stewart woodward, as far as I'm concerned with that design, you lose half of things nowadays these sort of watches (including Polar V800) are bringing to athletes. Not to mention biometry is in domain of Polar not Garmin Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Markymark29, I use the web site on the ipad as opposed to the app.

I'm not sure I understand on the 2 bike bit though? Are you wanting, for example, to compare PBs on a road segment on your MTB and road bike?

This website takes strava info and allows you to click per bike etc

http://veloviewer.com/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Torn between the androidwear watches. The sony swr50 the moto 360 and the lg g watch r

There are several ski orientated apps out and rossignal are updating theirs for androidwear soon.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@clashcityrocker, surely you will need one with GPS for ski tracking?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The phone has that in my backpack. All androidwear watches link up with the gps on that. That said, the sony has gps in the watch and i have one reserved at my local argos to take a look at tomorrow, alomg with a moto 360...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Got a Pebble. I was involved as an early adopter and specifically asked if apps could be developed for skiers. I find it much, much easier changing music, getting SMS and answering calls when I don't have to strip to get at my phone. You can also do weather checks and use Pebble Bike to track where you are how far/fast you have travelled, etc (watch has GPS). You can also attach it to a heart rate monitor via GPS.

If anyone is interested in the highly collectable Kickstarter Pebbles, I have one or two left that I can let people have at SnowHeads rates. Brand new in sealed box. They have standard strap attachments so you can change the watch strap if you want to.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@RattytheSnowRat, do they have ski apps for Pebble? I'm watching the BASIS Peak with interest for some reviews once it is out....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a fenix 2. It doesn't do texts etc but I didn't buy it for that, I rarely use my phone so don't care. It works very well for swimming, which is the only thing I have used it for so far. I'm going to try the skiing setting at christmas. It does hiking and biking too, I mainly bought it for that and swimming the skiing thing will be a bonus if it works.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@alicie, the fenix 2 can receive txts, emails and other notifications from your smartphone Smile

http://gadgetnerdly.com/garmin-fenix-2-review-smart-notifications-from-android-devices/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kitenski, don't have an android, not that I would connect it anyway.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@alicie, it does work with IoS as well I believe.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'll be interested to see what the Basis Peak can do. I've got a couple of Pebble and think they're spot on for what they do. I don't recommend the Kreyos Meteor, however. It's not as versatile as the Pebble and the USP of a mic and speaker is poorly executed, as well as it being much bulkier and less intuitive to use.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bought myself a Sony Smartwatch 3 today (AndroidWear) in the Amazon Lightening deals. It was £130. I tried one on it a store recently and liked it, but not for the £180 they wanted.

It's also got GPS, can can be used independently of my phone.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@clashcityrocker, be interested in how you get on with it, definitely one of the better ones out there currently
snow conditions
I have already tried a few instore (Argos do the Moto360 and the Sony SWR50). I really didn't like the look of the Motorola 360. In the promo pictures it looks great, in the flesh, not so. Way to thick. The round display is good for watchfaces, bad for displaying information.

The Sony looked the best on-wrist, and had the best specs. However I wasn't prepared to pay the £180 they wanted. (my only complaint with it was the charging method, microUSB port under a flap on the underside. When other watches charge wirelessly, or have docks, it felt a bit naff for the price).

When it popped up for £130 on the lightening deals, i couldn't resist. I can live with the charging port. It's handy for travel, as it doesn't need an special chargers or cables.

Will post some more info once I have it for a few days.

I am a bit handy at Android Development, so I might take a look at writing some ski-orientated apps Happy
snow report
@clashcityrocker, how are you getting on with the Sony?

It's £179 on amazon with a £30 amazon credit at the moment....
snow report
Really pleased with it so far. I'm a big guy, so it doesn't look too big on the wrist, the way it's designed, it looks quite "slim", not actually slimmer than the motorola 360 but it LOOKS alot slimmer due to it's design.

Battery-wise, 2 days is easy, hoping for a bit more when Android 5 arrives in the next week or so. (it's a staged rollout).

The Sony is the only one that goes for the transreflective display, which uses ambient light so, the backlight isn't needed. It works very well too. It could work better or worse when out in the white-stuff. That's an unknown.

The current apps are certainly very useful (make sure you install Google Fit). It's actually very accurate, I did 25mins on the bike at the gym and then 20 mins on the treadmill, and it measured it perfectly. I can also control my music, volume, see phone notifications with finding my phone (which for skiing is my main use-case).

It's not perfect, the charging is clunky (MicroUSB on the underside), but I still believe it's the best smartwatch on the market. This is Sony's 3rd generation smartwatch, all the others are on their 1st gen. It does show. There are smart design decisions. For sure smartwatches will get better, but at £130, I was prepared to jump in, and I have not regretted it.
ski holidays
I'm sick of always being connected, and I see smart phones as just another way to achieve that.

So no, not for me.
snow report
I don't do facebook, and have effective spam prevention and filtering, so don't get loads of interruptuons. I may tech work for me, not me for it (sadly, I do work in the Technology sector, so that last bit it tecnically untrue).
snow conditions
@clashcityrocker, can you control what notifications you receive? Ie not get notifications for new emails but do so for text/phone calls??
snow conditions
Yes, you can block specific apps from sending notifications to an AndroidWear watch using the AndroidWear smartphone app.

https://support.google.com/androidwear/answer/6056843

More than happy to try and answer any other questions people might have about general AndroidWear or the Sony SWR50 (Smartwatch3).
snow report
@clashcityrocker, cheers, does the Sony do sleep tracking? if so do you have any screenshots of what it tracks??
snow conditions
I don't believe it does. There is no heart rate monitor. I have never worn it at night.

My previous activity tracker did (Withings Pulse), before the missus put it through the washing machine whilst still clipped to my jeans... It was interesting stats for a while, but ultimately a novelty. OK if it came with it, but not a deal breaker if it didn't.
ski holidays
@clashcityrocker, well it looks like it does Smile

using the lifelog app

latest report
Quote:

the missus put it through the washing machine whilst still clipped to my jeans...

Laughing it was obviously her fault!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy