Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Feldberg

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am planning a trip to feldberg at the end of December for a few days. I found cheap flights to basel and it looks much cheaper than going to any of the swiss resorts. ( I know that it is not the best skiing experience ever but I am taking my kids one of whom hasn't skied before and so I wanted something cheap -we won't need miles of piste.)

Just wanted to ask if anyone has been if I could have a few tips pls? Is there a reasonable likelihood of snow then?
Any ski school recommendations? Also a lot of accommodation is booked up so I think I will be staying in a local village - are there any ski lockers around as I hate the whole carrying skis and boots business!

Thanks a lot
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
munchimo, I skied there quite a lot when I was studying in Strasbourg but that was many, many moons ago. It is OK, but we switched to touring in the end to make it more interesting.

Try here for starters and see what you can find out: http://en.liftverbund-feldberg.de/ - most of the site is in English. for what you want to do I would recommend staying in Feldberg itself (see here: http://en.liftverbund-feldberg.de/Skigebiet-Schwarzwald/Feldberg-Winter-Sports-Centre ) There is a list of accommodation down the right-hand side.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
munchimo, check your accommodation comes with the Hochschwarzwald guest card- it includes loads of free stuff (transport, leisure pools, bike hire, even a theme park) and importantly it includes all the area ski lifts. http://www.hochschwarzwald.de/Card
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So, as Sunnbuel said find accommodation which provides Hochschwarzwald guest card. This card is the ski lift and except that gives you the opportunity to go to the Aquaworld in Titisee.
Badeparadies Schwarzwald. If you go with kids DONT MISS THAT. I love the feeling of being in the warm pool, with a cocktail and see the snow falling.
Feldberg is a nice cute ski resort , but it is low altitude. If the weather is cold and snow come as most times, then you gonna have good times. Especially if you go after the ski to the Badeparadies
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes I am getting the Hoschschwarzwald card - that is one of the reasons that I am choosing it over Switzerland as free lift passes really help! I did try to find accommodation in Feldberg but it seems to all be booked. I have found in Titisee and Schluchsee - has anyone ever stayed there - should I pick one over the other?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
munchimo, I know both places, interesting but both very quiet and some way from the slopes on Feldberg, so you have to rely on buses if you don't have a hire car. Of the 2 I would probably choose Titisee as a base as it has more interesting stuff to do if the snow fails to materialise.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks. Do you know if there would be anywhere in Feldberg that I could leave my skis (Lockers?) I did email the snow area but they don't answer!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
munchimo, No idea as I always had my car with me and my stuff was easy to transport.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are not so many accomm. options in Feldberg. I usually always stayed somewhere around Titisee...i love this place (even if i am Austria Fan) and we usually go for a couple of weekends Winter and Summer.
But i have a car , so its a little bit different
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stayed in Todtnau approx 5kms away from Feldberg, which is the other side of titisee, the town is lovely and is very convienient getting to the Feldberg slopes at the top of the mountain pass. The guest card from the accomdation will give you free transport on the bus which are regular from the town. I did on a couple of occassions drive to Feldberg but the parking is horrendous and you find that you have to park on the road up to the resort, which sometimes could be over a mile away. Lovely ski resort, very small. We managed to find the accomadation from here (http://www.bergwelt-suedschwarzwald.de/en/unterkunft/freie-unterkuenfte.php). You can leave your ski gear in the lockers at the ski school at a price, never used them so not sure how much. Good luck
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Simon94, I think you mean the other side of Feldburg, not Titisee. wink As for the distance, it is pretty well 6 to 1 half dozen to the other as they are about equidistant from Feldburg itself. As the OP has young children as a priority, I'd say Titisee wins as it is a more open and "sunny" location, Todtnau is pretty well in the shade all day at that time of year and quite honestly said to be "Arschkalt und dunkel" in the back end of December. The options for things to do other than skiing are slightly better in the Titisee area.

To the original OP: if you are looking at Titisee, make sure you are clear about the location as there is Titisee (on the lake shore) and a wee bit further away is Titisee-Neustadt, which is nowhere near as pretty, as it is a proper working town squashed into a rather narrow valley. This means it is also rather dark and cold in winter as well. The swimming pool people are talking about is in Titisee itself not Titisee-Neustadt.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Munchimo, how did it go? Any tips? How was the skiing? Did the hochschwarzwald card work out? We're planning a similar trip for February.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You maybe interested in this
(In German)

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=295
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm afraid that I don't really understand it!

I'm more interested in the general experience. I'm just planning a 3-day trip with very young children (1 and 3) and hoping to go to Feldberg at least once. Also interested in what else the card would entitle us to in the winter.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I should say that I've booked flights to Baden-Baden on 6th Feb, and am going to meet a friend in Strasbourg on the evening of 9th Feb. Everything else is yet to be determined so I would be pleased to hear suggestions for a trip with wife (beginner skier) and two toddlers.
latest report
And I'll be hiring a car.
snow report
Feldberg is reputed for extremely long queues and parking congestion over the weekend, once there is snow.

La Bresse in France is about the same distance from Basel, and is much nicer. With french food as a bonus.
http://labresse.labellemontagne.com/en/summer/?saison=ete

Here's a trip report with lots of photos from alpinforum - google translated from german (alpinforum) - prepare for a laugh
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alpinforum.com%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D47%26t%3D29432&edit-text=
Laughing
latest report
@Onnem, depends on when you go. I used to go to all the resorts around Strasbourg while I was studying there every weekend I was not down in the Alps. Feldberg is by far the easiest to get to from Baden-Baden and Strasbourg I'd often go for a morning or an afternoon (depending on lectures and seminars of course). La Bresse is not as easy to reach as you have to go over the Vosges and around the other side - more often than not we gave up and stopped at the top of Col de la Schlucht and went touring or cross-country skiing along the routes up there called Les Crêtes. Another area that was quicker to reach was called Gaschney- Stosswihr on the east side of Le Hohneck (the mountain that forms the basis of the highest runs in La Bresse) but I'm not sure if it still operates as a ski area.
snow report
@Samerberg Sue - Gaschney is still closed.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Gaschney-La-Station-Sportive-des-Vosges/356776101003735

There's some discussion about reopening it, I but I don't believe this will happen. If ever new ski areas or new parts of ski areas will open, then
-this will be in a snow sure thus higher area, to compensate for global warming
-this will stir a lot of opposition from environmentalists

There's quite some discussion on alpinforum about preference for Feldberg or Vosges. I have never been in either, and don't have any emotional binding with either area (not suggesting you do). Just reiterating the general opinion on alpinforum, where there's quite a few "connaisseurs" who have been in both areas. The general opinion there, based on a number of arguments you can read on alpinforum, is that Vosges is to be preferred over Feldberg. The Vosges resorts are not perfect either BTW.

Here's a list of user reviews of the Vosges resorts
http://www.skipass.com/stations/index.php?RegionId=4

It's all in french - just copy the URL of the review page in google translate.
https://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.skipass.com%2Fstations%2Findex.php%3FRegionId%3D4&edit-text=
snow report
@Onnem, I'm just pointing out that the areas are different in terms of access - tcccambs is only around for 3 days and committed to Strasbourg one of those, albeit in the evening, therefore time on the snow as opposed to time travelling is important.

I worked as an instructor for UCPA groups in La Bresse so I know it well, the journey from Strasbourg is not as straightforward, while from Feldberg you can be back within and hour or so maximum. is. I also know the Alpinforum and the discussions that go on there (I'm a translator for German and French, so I can also understand the subtleties of the moaning that goes on there). Given @tccambs's information (no time/dates given) Feldberg gives the easiest option. Even in the school holidays I've never seen Feldberg as overrun as some of the people on alpinforum state, yes weekends can be bad in terms of waiting times, but that is the same in a lot of areas close to big urban areas - Cairngorm or Glenshee on a sunny sunny with good snow for example are way worse.
latest report
Thanks for the advice. To clarify the points raised:

1) This isn't really a skiing holiday, it's a short family break but I was hoping to go skiing for a day or two if the conditions are right. I've got my own adults trip to Saalbach sorted to satisfy my own cravings.
2) The priority is for my very young children (1 and 3) to have fun, so I'm not really bothered about the quality of the skiing for me. It would be nice to go somewhere with a good kids area and a bit of sledging.
3) We arrive late-ish on Saturday 6th Feb, and plan to have a short-break somewhere before going to Strasbourg on evening of 9th Tues Feb. Therefore we have more or less three full days, a Sunday, a Monday and most of a Tuesday.
4) The big appeal for Feldberg is that the hochschwarzwald card seems like it would get us onto the lifts for free, and also get us into some other fun family things in the Black forest. I was hoping to get some first hand experience of how this card works out in practice, and if there are any other good tips for its use.
snow report
@tccambs, I would use the Sunday to look around other areas if the weather and snow are good then use the card to go to Feldberg on the Monday &/or the Tuesday as they will be very quiet then.

Are you staying in the Baden-Baden area or somewhere closer to Feldberg?
latest report
I haven't booked anything yet, but there's no reason we'd be tied to Baden-Baden. I was thinking of following the advice in this thread and staying in Titisee at a place that includes the hochschwarzwald card unless you have a better suggestion.
latest report
@tccambs, Titisee would be perfect considering your needs. Lovely there any time of the year. Toofy Grin
latest report
@Samerberg Sue - I share your reasoning about travel time and thus Feldberg would fit the TO better Wink
latest report
Definitely find an accommodation wich provide the hochschwarzwald card
Furthremore except the skiing if you have the card you have free entrance to the Badeparadies for 2-3 hours (you can extend it with a couple of Euro i think)
It will be lovely place for children, and also for you...especially if there is snow is pretty cool to be in the warm pool and outisde a nice snowfall...
Try to avoid feldberg...there are many othe small ski resorts in the area which suits to chlidren...or maybe check out whats going on...if the parking is full, go away
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy