Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best time to ski Dolomites (and avoid school holidays)?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all!

My friends and I are planning a week of skiing in Dolomites this winter, probably some time in February. We would like to avoid the school holiday crowds, if possible, but are unsure which country holidays we should be on the lookout for. Obviously Italy, but what about UK or France or maybe Germany? It seems impossible to avoid school holidays in EVERY country in Europe, so the question is which is likelier to affect Dolomites. Or are there perhaps other factors in play as well when it comes to skiing Dolomites? I am assuming that the snow should be good in February and the days reasonably long, but perhaps I am missing something? I'd appreciate any and all advice Smile. Thank you!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Simply read the chart in this link and then go in Jan or March Smile

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=107562
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I did read that chart Smile. That's why I was so confused as to when to go Smile. We are based in US and so lack the knowledge of who skis where and if I should be worried about French/UK holidays if I go to Italy. But last year we did a week in Val Thorens during the French school break (we had no choice with the dates back then) and vowed to never make that mistake again Smile. Your response makes me think that February may not be a good time altogether... I love skiing in March, but am concerned that with the lower altitudes in Dolomites the snow may get mushy. So perhaps I will look into the last week of January.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
there will be 120 snowHead yes snowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHead snowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHeadsnowHead in the Dolomites february if that sways your decision Toofy Grin - big place though, im sure youll miss us!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nice Smile. The more the merrier!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
alenchic, how many are there in your group? - we celebrate snowHeads' Birthday in Arabba every year in the first week of Feb.
There are places left but not very many. S11BB

The pluses of a group like this are:
That between the lot of us, there's a huge amount of useful knowledge to draw on.
With that knowledge we tend to dodge the crowds
- there are busier areas, of course but also virtually deserted ones. Queues are rare but it is a colossal area so there can be the occasional bottleneck.

There's always someone to join up with if your regular friends are going too fast/slow or skiing days too long/short.
With the strength of the group we get a good deal and often a few benefits around the area.
There are stickers.
There will be Cake!
It's just fun snowHead

Further, if you want to make the journey more worthwhile by coming for two weeks, we've got a low-cost Warm Up Week in a nearby resort (You get to ski between the 2 venues - I'll sort out getting your luggage over.) PreBBWUW

Just a suggestion Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you for the invite, Admin Smile. The trip certainly sounds like fun! I don't yet know how many people there will be in our group. In theory I have at least 6 friends that are interested in going. But last year the process of organizing a similar trip was a rather frustrating experience for me, so this time instead of asking everybody when and where and how they would like to go, I intend to just choose the time and place with the input of one reliable friend who is DEFINITELY going Smile, and then inform everybody else that they are welcome to join us if they like. So it could be as few as 2 people and as many as 10, which makes it difficult to really commit to anything any time soon. How many spots do you have left? Also, are both of the hotels mentioned on the event page still available?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't mean to be coy but it's hard to be exact about how many beds are left as the hotel assigns me a certain number of rooms and we define as we go which need to be twins, triples, quads etc.

I do have spaces left in each hotel and in theory, every rooming option is still available but only just.
For example, I only have one empty room in Belavista. This could be assigned as a Double, Twin or triple so a request for any one of these will remove the others as available options but I also have a girls-only room with 2 'flexibles' in already so it could end up as a twin, triple or quad depending on who turns up.
So in Belavista, I have between 3 and 7 places remaining.
In Portavescovo, I have between 9 and 15 beds remaining depending upon which requests come in first.
The option that will disappear first though is the exclusive use rooms ie. a double for a couple or a twin for friends who don't want to share with anyone else.

The joy of this model is, you can commit - with your 'reliable' friend and tell the others, "Great opportunity blah blah... Space is running out so get a move on or miss out" - get them registered (as it's commitment free) then just point them at the thread and at me and I'll do the old Smile / Sad as required Wink

If you want to keep costs down, take flexible or quad places and I'll fill the rooms/apartments with whoever is available. If your friends make it in before it's full, I'll room them with you or near you; if they don't, it's no loss - the power of the group snowHead

If this all sounds a bit complicated - don't worry: that's for me and my spreadsheet to keep on top of Madeye-Smiley
Suffice to say: right now, all options are open but the closer we get to full, the more flexible you need to be to get a place.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Got it! Thank you! Let me run this by my friend and see if she's game.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy