Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

MY SUMMER SKI MARATHON (4 UK SKI CENTERS IN A DAY)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
SKI FOUR UK INDOOR SNOW CENTERS IN ONE DAY!

The interest in British winter ski and snowboard sports have risen significantly since the Russian Olympics in Sochi 2014, where Team GB took home 4 medals. (An increase from 1 back in 2010!) Lets have a look how a country with no reliable snow coverage achieve so much in sports usually dominated by countries where mountains provide plenty of the white stuff almost year round.

On a sunny and warm Wednesday 10th September, having just climbed the ‘The Cobbler’ near Loch Lomond, the idea came to ski as many ski centres as possible in a single day. Why not! I was in Glasgow and with my own ski gear in the car so I planned the journey back South, lined up few ski centers on the way and decided.

Next day Thursday 11th September I rushed with my son who is student in the town towards Glasgow Braehead Snow Factor for the part 1 of my challenge.

My ski marathon ‘GB style’ began

The Snow Factor is not far from the centre of town and within few minutes we were at the car park.
9.45AM
[img]http://image_url[/img] (alt+p)
I tried to park as close as possible to the entrance and we quickly got our skis boots and clothes and head towards the door.
However, what struck us is that the actual ski piste is located far inside and up and down some stairs so word of advice: if you are bringing your own gear make sure you have plenty of hands available to carry your gear to the reception. Good exercise anyway.

The friendly and pro-active staff made buying tickets really easy. I noticed apart of the plenty of lockers the space had shower rooms, useful if you want to clean the sweat away before going home! Useful if you brought with you towel so, remember to carry a towel if you want to refresh après-ski.
I was in a hurry anyway so had to forget about that extra. Unfortunately the lockers don’t return your change so make sure when you place the pound coin in the door to lock it, you have left all of the gear you want for skiing out.

The one hour slot had begun. My son and I started skiing and immediately found the snow quality to be of a very good texture taking into the account that it was the beginning of the day and the entire slope was freshly groomed. Good depth and consistence, which was just fine for 60 minutes of good snowy fun. The hall is nice and music not too loud, all in all creating a pleasant atmosphere for the snow lovers. Big plus is the ice wall for climbing. Thumbs up but no time for that right now!

11AM and time to leave.
Again after a long walk through the shopping corridors I loaded the car, said goodbye to my son and headed South. Beautiful road and not too much traffic were the order for the next few hours, with the next stop of my little indoor ski marathon in Manchester.

Part 2
Just passed 3PM and I noticed the very imposing one end of the Chill Factore centre next to the Trafford Centre. The Sat Nav has taken me right to the entrance. Good! I thought this time rather than walking and buying tickets and then again going out to the car for my ski gear I would carry the still soaking ski gear straight to the reception, which is an island just in front the large glass windows looking into the ski slope. Perfect atmosphere! The happy attendant was very active and helped me to get into the ski mode again. After hearing of what I was in the process of doing for that day, he was very eager to find out how the other snow centres compare.
I pointed out that in Scotland for example I could have had a shower – Oh Yes we have this facilities too-was the answer. Do I loose the pound coin for the locker? No- was again a very good answer.
And just before I entered the slope, the attendant who was looking very proud to be working for the centre mentioned that this place was the longest indoor ski slope in UK. Very cheered and pleased I went for my second hour of skiing for the day and found the slope space in my opinion to be very well organised. It looked newer. The drags are well maintained and the path below them is well kept.

4.45PM Second pit-stop over.

This time I have decided to keep my ski pants on to save time as rough calculation was showing me that it would be very tight if I wanted to ski the next two slopes today. With a run towards the car I loaded my gear, typed the new destination on my Sat Nav and looking at the steady traffic of cars, joined the flow heading south.

The peak motorway time full of traffic jams was upon me so while I was surrounded by many other drivers going back home from work or for their apres activities and during the slow flow on the motorway I started inevitably comparing the ski centres. The ones in Glasgow and Manchester were new to me but I had skied before in Milton Keynes and in my favourite – Hemel Hempstead. It was difficult to pull a clear winner though.

Since the creation of an indoor slope at Hemel, I stopped going to Milton Keynes to avoid the horrendous traffic on the M1 as much as possible. But even after a few years I knew I was getting close to the well-known shiny looking dome in the relatively new town of the many roundabouts. I managed to park near the entrance of the Xscape building and suddenly was jogging to the reception remembering where the entrance was and slaloming with my ski gear around people going for dinner for a drink or to the cinema in the same building. At that time I knew that an hour skiing here would leave no time to ski at Hemel so I asked for half an hour instead. I convinced the manager my reasons for skiing for 30 minutes only and he agreed.

My part 3 challenge has started.
I ran to put my ski boots on, noticing that the pound coin for the lockers was non-returnable and there were indeed showers for after if you need them.

8PM I took the first drag up the slope.

The place was buzzing with skiers and snowboarders all with glowing faces of all ages from very young to elderly snow lovers. Both drag lifts were working and the run was very varied with ramps, jumps, an ice tunnel and great snow. One minor point was the condition of both paths below the drag lifts, which were showing bare wood patches in places and dragging from time to time but if you can avoid the areas by sliding sideways, you will be fine.
Take into account that is almost the end of the day so the slope was well used the experience was very good.
30 minutes was up and my revisit of this fine ski centre confirms that it is still attracting many snow enthusiasts and it is serving the whole area brilliantly.

Rush again.
5 minutes later and I was already on the way to my last destination
Part 4 Hemel Hempstead and The Snow Centre.

This is still the closest to the Capital and one of the main hubs for skiing excellence. Rumours are circulating though that there is an application for a snow centre in London’s Stratford Olympic Park.
I can only imagine that if that happens the new place will be mega popular for the Londoners.
Imagine going skiing and taking your ski gear into the underground and expecting to plunge into winter almost direct from the platform.
But this is in the future.
For now as the time was already 9:30 I had no time to spare and virtually stormed the second floor to where the reception is and in a flash I was quickly back skiing again. Taking into consideration that it was the end of the day and the snow was very well used it felt good with lots of bumps and jumps for a pleasant change.

In them final minutes I did not see one sad face on my forth slope for the day.
In fact I can say that on my marathon day I did not see anyone not enjoying the slopes. Even off the slopes the mums and dads waiting for their kids were with happy faces.
All this confirms that the good network of real snow centres is having a very positive effect and influence to a lot of people, some to learn the basics, some to improve, some to simply have fun for an hour or two or others who are in teams or clubs and enjoying the sport of their choice during the summer. Places like that allow people to stay attached to the white stuff, all year round.
So my day is at an end.

My stats are as follows:
-I have driven just over 8 hours (500ish miles)
-Visited 4 centres,
-Skied 3 ½ hours in total
-Taken (dated and timed) 4 Selfies
-I fell almost as skiing all day in the mountain Smile

In short: All real ski snow centres are good addition and valued replacement to the UK’s lack of the real stuff –simply thriving places for snow lovers.
The UK successes in Sochi 2014 Games are a good barometer that being able to slide on one plank (snowboard) or two planks (skiing) all year round although not up the mountains, keeps the interest through the summer, cools you when you want it and polishes your style or just brings back the 'snow feeling' so when the real winter comes you can continue on a higher level and into the real thing.

...and year after year allows you to reach top level and bring some rewards.

As for the youngsters coming into contact with snow all year round there will be no stopping I am sure of it.

Next summer I will try to do one better:
Squeeze and Snow dome in Tamworth to make it five in a day with a bit of motorway luck of course or do the safer way with the same number 5 without Glasgow but including Snowzone Castleford .[/img]
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why not do all 5 Scottish ski areas in one day? Disability snow sports used to have a sponsored day doing this every year but didn't do it last year for some reason. I haven't done it but sounds good fun. Maybe this season!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can be done. I can be done. If you manage to get a day when all of them are open and drive around why not.
I have done 4 different ski resorts before in a day (the ones that are not connected with lifts of course).
Mind you they were in one large lift pass though. Otherwise you will be stung by 4x daily pass.
My 4 in a day were just one off and that way I broke the long drive from Glasgow with nice refreshing pit stops.
If I want more hours, the daily passes in the indoor centers are always good value.Have 2-3 hours skiing then brake for lunch or drink and then again do some more or even finish some work while resting.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
my 4 in the FR Alps were: Aussois, Valfrejus, La Norma and Val Cenis all within 30 mins drive from one to another. I could have added 2 more easily: Bonneval sur Arc and Bardoneccia in the Italian side (via the tunnel). They are all on the same lift pass (Bardonneccia though is only with 3 free lifts passes per season) so apart of 60 ish kilometers petrol cost and a tunnel return fee of 50 euros you could ski 6 independent and not linked ski resorts in a day on the cheap.
My UK ski marathon was diesel for 500 miles ( I was going that route anyway) plus each individual indoor center price for one hour. Not cheap at all. Look at it that way: I saw 4 different centers. It is like to ski 4 different runs in 4 different sceneries that day so I enjoyed it a lot.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
miro, great trip and write up - thanks for posting!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy