Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Labral (hip cartilage) tear– recovery time; surgeon recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any of you good people had experience of having a hip cartilage tear repair? Also any recommendations for surgeons and any information on the time it takes to return to skiing? I’m told it can take as long as 12 weeks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, Phil Thomas in Cardiff is very good as is Mike Cronin in Coventry. If neither of these are local, let me know and I will ask my colleague who is good that is local to you. Good luck!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Coco. I'm based in Glasgow and although it looks like I can get it done here there may be a significant wait even with a private option, so considering all the possibilities.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Ski lots, I found this thread with interest, I have just had surgery to fix my labral tear last week, and am wondering if I'll be fit to ski by January. My surgeon said I should be, but still wondering if I should leave it. Did you have surgery and did you ski after? If so how long did you wait?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah, I have just found this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=118393 where you've described some stuff post-op. So if I read correctly, seems it's not recommended to ski that soon after surgery then?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As per the other thread it got rather more complicated. When the surgeon went into repair the tear he found some underlying bone damage. Eventually had to have a hip-resurfacing. I was back on skis 3 months after (I would not have been confident of heading to the mountains at that point, although it turned out rathr easier than I anticipated), I've since had a day of glacier skiing and I've now ben back instructing (part-time) for 6 weeks indoors. It is not perfect, but is getting better all the time and I'm hill walking, cycling etc. From the research I did there does not seem to be a firm consensus and we are all different. I would always describe myself as very active rather than fit. I did put some effort in post opp, but I've never been keen on exercise for exercise sake. I'm not sure the untrained eye would be able to tell the leg has been operated on when I'm skiing now - but perhaps I flatter myself. I think as a patient you need to make sure that your Doctors understand your needs (emotionally as well as) physically and if they ski/board/climb and understand your ability level then so much the better. Good luck if you are going through the same process, from my experience there is virtually no pain in the recovery.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy