Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2009/10 volkl racetiger sc. Am I making life hard as a novice/intermediate?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, only my second post so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I'm going to mayrhofen in February and have been given some of these by my brother in law. It's my 6th ski holiday and spend most time on reds with occasional easier black thrown in. I took them last time and suffered with fatigue quite bad. Already in training this time! When I had them edged at my local shop they said they were 'race' skis and at my level weren't ideal and would be fast and harsh. I'm wondering if that contributed to fatigue? The question is should I even take them or just hire some 'normal ' carving skis? Thanks Whitty
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whitty, They are "recreational" race skis. But if you aren't using good technique on them, (do you take lessons? It's hard to teach yourself to ski...) then you'll likely be working against them rather than them working for you.

So something softer/more forgiving/easier will probably be less tiring.

But then, learning to ski properly will mean it's always less tiring and more fun.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm going to get a lesson or two on the first days I think. My brother in law is a good skier and is planning to qualify as an instructor so he will be on hand also. My fitness really let me down last time l,hence already been running and cycling for last month. Last time there I was practicing my carving which was going ok but on the steeper stuff I had more tumbles than ever before. I was/am on a tight budget, that's why I took them but not sure if my ability matches the skis. Also the shop said my boots may not be stiff enough. They are Solomon rs ones which I got purely for the fit as I seem to have really thin feet. I'm 5'10 and 12 stone, the skis are 163's by the way.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitty, Get some lessons --- fatigue/tiredness = poor technique ! Why not go to your local dryslope/fridge and start the process before you go away ?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ski,
Quote:
fatigue/tiredness = poor technique
Or could just be symptomatic of having skied a lot that day!
I would say that Race Tigers are not really a good ski for an intermediate though. You're probably not doing yourself a lot of favours with those. I'm sure you can get plenty of advice on what constitutes a good intermediate piste ski here on Snowheads.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitty, those skis of yours are well thought of, I think - and a useful length. If they're in good condition you might well be able to sell them here and acquire a pair of more forgiving skis without having to spend more. I agree about the need for lessons, though can see the problem if you're hard up.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Actually, I have a pair of 162 Rossignol Zenith Z1 skis which I am going to be selling. They're a good few years old but in decent nick. Forgiving all round sort of ski. Not worth a lot of money now (I'd swap them for the Race Tigers but that wouldn't be fair to you).

Where do you live?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steilhang, This is what the OP said...

Quote:

and suffered with fatigue quite bad

which (IMV) does not sound like
Quote:

having skied a lot that day

to me.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm from West Yorkshire. I'll be going to chill factor.e at Manchester from October onwards. I've only been on dry slope once at halifax and hated it. Thinking of trying rossendale to see if its any better. I do try to ski alot when I'm there as I don't know when I'll get another chance.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitty, one of the most common things that hold people back is lack of fitness, even if you are reasonably fit you then need to get ski fit and acclimatise, so it's not necessarily the ski.
But, I have those skis and while they carve superbly, are fast edge to edge, and are great for short radius turns, they are unforgiving and not good skis to learn on.
Get something a bit softer, a bit wider and more forgiving, you can always dust them off later.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitty,
Quote:

I'll be going to chill factor.e at Manchester

Great :sH:If you can --- get a lesson there --- or at one of the dryslopes -- which are waaay cheaper. Plastic is something of an acquired taste tho, so best to give it a couple of goes first to get used to it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitty, if you can spare £10 then Ski Ross have a relaxed coaching session on Friday evenings - you get 90 mins of slope time, a level 4 SSE coach and ski hire included - sorry for that shameless plug Embarassed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sunnbuel,

Have PM'd Whitty, re the hourly and the coaching prices at Ski ross but to keep it balanced the monthly prices for CFe ( so best of both worlds )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
speed098, yes, some decent offers on Cfe at the moment.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Replied Happy Plug all you like:-) Definitely going to give rossendale a try. May struggle with Fridays though with work etc.
Thanks for the responses. I must say, as I'm new to the forum. I'm very impressed at the knowledge and helpfulness I've got and read in other posts!
Looks like I'm better off keeping the skis and trying to elevate my skills and ski fitness levels to match them!
snow report
Quick update on the racetigers/my fitness and technique. I've been to chill factor.e quite a bit over last two weeks on them. Making progress but if I'm not concentrating 100% it ends up with arms and legs all over the place! It was very cut up/choppy yesterday and they were horrible! I went to the early session today as it was mayhem yesterday with it being half term. I did first hour on them and they felt really good on the newly groomed snow but then when it started cutting up I swapped to some rental head rev 70's. They felt so easy to ski on and did wonders for my confidence! Also on the plus side my fitness regime seems to be working as not hardly felt my thighs which is probably also helped by trying to get better posture. (less bum out and hunched shoulders) Last visit tomorrow morning on my monthly pass so may go straight for the rentals.
ski holidays
@Whitty,

I was there in the afternoon conditions were not the best with all the kids on half term ( going to brave it Thursday and Friday I must be mad Shocked ). You probably did right swapping skis part way through.
snow conditions
As @speed098, The first hour is always the best until the point when the slope is that used that you get the nice icy channel down the middle when sharp edges and SL skis come alive Happy

In between those times id throw my SL skis in the car and bring out something more fun to ski on like the Titans Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@PaulC1984,

Until last week the early morning starts have not been possible but hopefully next month will get as many as I can in. I only have two sets of skis plus plus a pair of skiboards unless you include my old P9 RS supers Very Happy and the new racetigers which have no bindings yet Sad .
Roll on the skitest snowHead
snow report
Happy I dont really need to be getting more skis, current arsenal includes Head I SL, 3Vs, Rossi World Cup, Head Titans and Preachers - I think there maybe room in the wardrobe for another set Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

So something softer/more forgiving/easier will probably be less tiring.

But then, learning to ski properly will mean it's always less tiring and more fun.

What I said. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy