Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl Inuks - too light for the piste?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, have found a good deal on the Inuks at Glisshop, and as I'm looking at moving increasingly towards touring they look like a great pair of skis. However at the moment I'm spending most of my time in a resort skiing on and off piste, and I was wondering if anyone has experience of the Volkls on the usual tracked up off piste/ice/crud. Are they a lot harder to drive than the type of all mountain ski I'm used to (eg Line Prophets).

I'm thinking that another option would be to get a pair of light ish all mountain skis and just live with the weight as I'll only be doing short tours. Any advice would be great cheers!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
a. I don't think that the ski's mass or swing weight really makes so much of a difference when compared to the forces applied to the ski and the weight of the skier.

b. I haven't skied them but zzz has a pair of the Volkl touring skis and reckons they ski just like his mantras.

c. BiL stocks them in his ski shop and thinks the range are all great.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice, that sounds like a pretty good endorsement. I guess if they behave differently it might just take a bit of a modification the skiing style then.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
cdavies92, I really don't think you'll notice such a huge difference. I intend to demo the Nanuqs once the base is safe enough but that won't be soon enough for you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you're only doing short tours (1-2 hours up?) then frankly I wouldn't worry about ski weight at all. Unless you're were thinking about some XXLs or similar anyway.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Touring skis won't compete with race carvers / GS skis on the piste.
However, Volkl touring skis are often Volkl's All-mountain skis without the metal in them. If you are not too heavy the touring ski might be better suited to you anyhow.

http://youtube.com/v/A5H4DrE3ApI
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

you are not too heavy the touring ski might be better suited

Interesting thought there, I'm only around 70ish kg and 6' so like you say might work better for me than a stiff ski. I've never skied race skis on piste so I won't notice any loss of performance relative to them!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB, good point. We are going to put Mrs UANN on a slightly shorter pair of Nanuqs than her Mantras to see if they suit her dodgy knee.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Now you've got me looking at Nanuqs... this won't help my bank balance.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cdavies92, ha ha. We went Mantra as they were frankly the best all round ski either of us had skied. We both have (very) amateur racing backgrounds and found modern race skis excellent in powder (due tip width).

But wanted skis that would work a bit better around Chamonix.

Anyhow, hardly ever take race skis out now, the Mantras are just so good. So... The Nanuqs, seem to be an interesting option.... Twisted Evil
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://buy-ski.glisshop.co.uk/pack_ski/volkl/nanuq_squire_11_90mm_white_mint_black-57468-51258-64161.html

Looks like a storming good deal, but it is a fair bit more than the Inuks. However if the Inuks turn out to be too narrow (83mm) for my crappy powder technique then it could be worth the money...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy