Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Questions regarding freestyle skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hello

I've decided that I would like to buy some freestlye skis. The problem is, where do I start? I have lots of questions and I need some answers.
I'm 18, Male, 6Ft Tall, Weight 76 Kg / 170 lb, and I've been skiing for about 4-5 years now and I can happily ski down any slope. Last season I decided to hit the snowpark, and I loved it. I couldn't achieve what I wanted to with the ski's I'd rented, so I decided that for the following season I wanted my own skis.
I'd like to say thanks to everyone beforehand!

Here are my questions:

1) If I decide to use the skis just for normal piste skiing, will I have trouble with balance, control etc because of me having freestyle skis?

2) Major differences between all mountain and freestyle skis (advantages/disadvantages when it comes to snowpark & normal piste skiing).

3) How long do the skis need to be?

4) How much should I spend, bearing in mind that they're my first set of skis, and they'll be used aprox 5-10 days a year (it's not much but I want my own skis at this level). I live in Valencia, Spain, so an aproximation in euros would be kind!

5) What should I look for in a ski? The price varies, and the only difference is the make/style. Are we just paying for the brand, like we do with clothes?

6) What should I look for in ski boots? The price varies, and the only difference is the make/style. Are we just paying for the brand, like we do with clothes?

7) How long will the skis last aprox?

Cool Good makes of skis? (Recomendations).

9) Difference between a 200euro, a 400euro and a 600euro set of skis?

Thank you!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Google
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Voelkl Wall or Salomon NFX spend the cash, make them your skis, learn to love them, they'll last forever!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What type of freestyle do you fancy doing? Can you ride switch on piste skis,can you do 180 on piste to switch and back? Freestyle skis make that easier. Riding rails can be done on any type of ski. Jumps slope style on any type of ski. Freestyle skis have edges designed for rail ie last longer.
Freestyle does not need special kit if your just starting out.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its also practical to buy a set of second hand twin tips from ebay cheaply, and sell em on again without taking a big hit to the wallet.

Or easier still; rent some?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi guys thanks for the replies.

Could any of you answer some of my questions?

In reply to Stephen59, I can 360 down slopes no problem with normal skis, the reason I want to buy some skis is because a) I want to save money in the long run, b) they're better quality and c) it's always best to have your own kit.
The type of freestyle I've done and fancy doing it jumps (I managed to perfect 180s last season on my last day, and landed a few 360s, but the jump wasn't big enough). I haven't got the hang of box's/grinding, but it's something I'm definitely looking forward to learn.

I know that jumps, spins, box's can be done with any types of skis, but obviously it's much easier with a set of twin tips (I presume??).

Thanks

Rory
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RoryCrisp, what do you think twins do better, other than go backwards and land switch? Some are designed to be centre-mounted, but that just makes them worse everywhere else.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999 wrote:
RoryCrisp, what do you think twins do better, other than go backwards and land switch? Some are designed to be centre-mounted, but that just makes them worse everywhere else.

I don't actually know, that's the problem. They obviously weigh less and are more flexible so landing is easier.

I'd just like some answers, it's alot of money I don't want to make a decision not knowing 100% the answers.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RoryCrisp wrote:
it's alot of money I don't want to make a decision not knowing 100% the answers.

Well, yes. Hence the suggestion to rent. You don't really know what you want or what you'll like, which limits how useful any advice will be. What did you try before? what were you expecting? Why didn't it work for you?

Oh, but from your original question set,

RoryCrisp wrote:
6) What should I look for in ski boots? The price varies, and the only difference is the make/style. Are we just paying for the brand, like we do with clothes?

Visit a good bootfitter. Seriously. Well fitted boots make everything better, and a good fitter will be able to give you much more useful advice in person than you'll get on a forum.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Serriadh wrote:
RoryCrisp wrote:
it's alot of money I don't want to make a decision not knowing 100% the answers.

Well, yes. Hence the suggestion to rent. You don't really know what you want or what you'll like, which limits how useful any advice will be. What did you try before? what were you expecting? Why didn't it work for you?

Oh, but from your original question set,

RoryCrisp wrote:

Visit a good bootfitter. Seriously. Well fitted boots make everything better, and a good fitter will be able to give you much more useful advice in person than you'll get on a forum.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know what I want or like because I don't know what the differences are (hence the reason I'm asking). I'm pretty sure I want some twin tips that I can use in the snowpark, aswell as going down the piste. I don't want just piste skis, nor just park skis, but somewhere in between, perhaps pushing towards freestyle skis. The problem is that there's hundreds of skis out there, and I don't know which makes specialize in what, or whether it's just the look of the ski that counts (although I highly doubt that).

Could you tell me why freestyle skis don't have the bindings mounted on them, where as alpine skis do?

Thanks

Rory
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RoryCrisp wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

I don't actually know, that's the problem. They obviously weigh less and are more flexible so landing is easier.

Not necessarily - that varies hugely across brands and models. Plenty of stiff twins out there (more stable when hitting/landing bigger jumps, presumably pipes, and definitely pistes), and plenty of super soft for jibbing and buttering around.

I don't think there's any real part of twintip design that makes them easier to land forwards than other skis - just look at the air racers, or freeride competitors get, their skis also have to be able to deal with big airs. Probably some are designed with less weight in the tips = less swing weight for spins, but you could sayy the same about many other skis too.

I'm in no way saying you shouldn't get a pair (I'm all for new toys!), but it sounds like you need to narrow down what you want to do, then find skis to do that. Or just get a good allround ski that also has a twin tail, which should work well everywhere. Something like the old Scott Punisher, which you should also be able to find pretty cheaply (that was a really fun ski!), or Line Blends maybe.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I agree with the suggestion of renting, and combine it with lessons. Lots of ski schools do freestyle or park lessons, and most would have established links with local rental companies.

So find a good ski school recommended for those specific lessons and get them to put you in touch with the right instructor in advance to book the right skis from a good rental shop. You will hopefully then on the lesson have a good feel for how the skis compare against your own, whether you like the feel or not, whether you'd like something more/less flexible etc.

Of course that does depend on finding a good ski school and rental shop that take their jobs seriously and really want to help...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One thing though, I have all mountain twin tips which I find fine for small jumps, sking backwards etc, but I did find that when I put a tracker / guardian freeride / touring binding on and moved the mounting 20mm forward I was much more stable in the air and able to land with better balance. Going for a more central binding mount position seems to make more difference than the model of skis and I haven't noticed any problems for off piste, in fact for tree skiing they turn quicker.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you researching binding mounting point you will find a whole world of points. Bindings are set for trad and are set to the back of a ski. If you set more middle it alters how the ski reacts. Sckizo bindings can give you a chance to play about. Put a rental binding on and move it fore and aft to get the diff feel.
Watch YouTube.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks again for the replies.

I think I'd probably be better off with some light twin tip all round skis, that way I can do what I want when I want. Now I just need to know which skis to buy. How can I easily narrow down the choices?

Also what length skis would I be looking at? I'm 6Ft/182cm

Thanks

Rory
snow report
RoryCrisp, I'm 5'10", weigh 76kg and use 177cm and 98mm underfoot but these are not rockered. I'd suggest that something low to high 180's would suit you depending on your weight. There are so many good all mountain skis about, and many have twin tips and are fine for pulling tricks too. Maybe find a shop that has a good selection of rental skis on your next trip and just ask if you can swap each day. If you decide you want to buy some there and then they usually knock off the rental fee from the price.
ski holidays
That's a good idea, but instead of going on a week ski holiday every year, I tend to go up for a day/2 days, as I'm only 2 hours drive from the slopes. Unfortunately, they don't sell skis at the rental places round here.
ski holidays
RoryCrisp wrote:
I'm pretty sure I want some twin tips that I can use in the snowpark, aswell as going down the piste. I don't want just piste skis, nor just park skis, but somewhere in between, perhaps pushing towards freestyle skis. The problem is that there's hundreds of skis out there, and I don't know which makes specialize in what, or whether it's just the look of the ski that counts (although I highly doubt that).

It'll be a compromise. Consider that you might be able to pick up a pair of second hand piste skis and a pair of park skis pretty cheaply (though your window of opportunity for doing so before this season starts is kinda short, now).

I note ebay has a pair of 184 scott punishers going cheap right now. Might be worth a look?

RoryCrisp wrote:
Could you tell me why freestyle skis don't have the bindings mounted on them, where as alpine skis do?

I'm sure there are good reasons for using 'system' bindings that are integrated into the skis at build time, but they're by no means the only solution or even the best one, really. You can get unmounted alpine skis easily enough, if you wanted some.

Mounting your own bindings is entirely possible, by the way.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy