Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2014 - 2015

Poster: A snowHead
Can't say I used Chantel that much but losing Grand Renard is a bit of a pisser.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@peanuthead, @snowcrazy, I agree many of these "developments" appear retrograde, especially the possible closure of the cachette piste. If you love an occasional high speed blast then the upper part of cachette is usually empty, bashed as smooth as a baby's bottom and just the right angle for some nice high speed turns. However if they choose to reinstate the Tommelet piste it will be partial compensation. It all depends on what they actually do. There are only 2 (3 if you count Comborciere as 1600) slow lifts in 1600. I think that one reason that clocheret is such a beautiful piste is the very slow lift up to it puts many people off. But then I would take a slow lift and no queues over a fast lift and queues any day, which is why I will really miss the grand renard lift.

The Chantel lift appear to offer the worse of all worlds a slow lift and a big queue but at the very end of the day it gives you a gentle cruise back to 1600 that is very welcome if you are tired and especially if the visibility is poor or yo just make the last lift. I think I probably take it home 3 or 4 times during each skiing week. I agree with @snowcrazy, it is a very bad move. I even signed the petition in Arc 1600 to keep it. (I wonder if this was retribution after we refused to contribute to their golf course!)

But it is not all bad news: replacing the lift to the col de fretes is overdue and will relieve some of the congestion at the arpette lift. I wonder if it would make the edelweiss road dangerously crowded.

Anyway we are off to Les Arcs tomorrow for some climbing. The weather looks great but I suspect the glaciers will soggy sponges and rock falls will abound with the temperatures forecast.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great news for next winter AND SOME NOT SUCH GOOD NEWS!

I tried a little test for next winter. If you walk from where the new Edenarc gondola finishes along the road between Edenarc and the Chantel apartments you can get to the lower link onto the Blue Gollet piste back to Arc 1600. It will be a bit of a skate for the first 500m, but after that you should be able to ski home. Snow needs to be good lower down!

Also the new piste from the new chair at the top of Col des Frettes (in fact it is the lower piste route that has always been there) is now taking shape. It is wider and further away from the cliffs so should not suffer from avalanche risks as the old route always does. Good idea to make this safer and it has not had much effect on the off piste area either.

More news about stuff for next winter as I get it. Photos of all these developments are posted on my Les Arcs Summer page. Some nice new mountain bike tracks this summer and I am starting a little quiz to test your knowledge of the paradiski area. See what the area looks like without snow!

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsSummer

Follow this link and go to the Summer 2015 Album.

Hope you are all having a good summer.

AN UPDATE ABOUT NEXT SEASON SKI PASS!

I just tried to get some sense out of the different offices involved in the change in ski pass for next season and they are being very difficult about giving any real information.

Bottom line right now is that the pass for season card holders will stop unless you pay full price (this is what I have just been told) not sure if this is correct. The person I spoke with could say very little else. The weekly option will stop for sure and be replaced by the Alpine Legend pass which really IMO makes little sense for a 6 day pass.

More details to follow as I get them.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowcrazy,
had heard about the lower piste route into the 2000 bowl being developed from Frettes (friend out there last weekend - 'lots & lots of earth movement' he said) but... you can't get from that existing lower track (red piste Lac) to the blue Edelweiss or good old flattish Plan.
Can you tell if it is being terraformed to get the bluesy bits? or is it half way between the old and new - or indeed is there a fork to the old? - because benign as it is is when pisted, the Lac gully is a swine for beginners when mogulled up.

PS we're out on Fri 7th for 8 days - perhaps catch you in Georges?

AR
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The piste that they are improving will connect with the blue piste down to the arcabulle chair and Arc 2000 station. It will not effect the red piste. You should easily be able to access both the blue and red pistes so still easy for beginners. If you look at my photos on the les arcs summer facebook page I think you can see the route the piste will be taking. As they do more work it will become clearer. I will post more photos after more work is finished.

Not sure if I will be out when you are around, but if I am it would be good to catch up in Georges.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Double post so deleted

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 25-07-15 22:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you are very sad Embarassed Embarassed you will have noticed they have turned the cam at the top of Aguille Rouge back on. What is the glacier on the left, that La Plagne?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just got back from Les Arcs this morning afer a blisteringly hot 10 days. I have never known it so hot in the Alps with temperatures of over 25 degrees at 1600. We even got hot sitting in the raft drifting down the Isere. Apart from said rafting trip we tried to keep all our activities above 2000m or out of the sun just to keep cool. If anyone is interested the Croix de Verdon and the feratta up the Cochet South East of St Martin Belleville are well worth doing to keep the temperature down and the scenery up. The mountains to the North of the Isere towrds the Italian border give some excellent high level hiking away from the crowds and skiing infrastructure (thogh for some of the walks an iceaxe and rope may be useful). These are easily accessed from the road heads at La Savonne and Le Saut.

Back to the main points of my post:

The Cachette: They are building a tunnel under the Cachette piste to allow access from the Combettes chair to the Cachette and Mont Blanc Chairs. So it looks like this section of the cachette piste will be permanently closed. I suspect the equipment will then be moved up the hill to create a similar tunnel allowing the des Sources piste to pass under the Cachette. The top of the Cachette now has a line of red fence post lining it. It appears as if these posts will go all the way down to prevent any accidental traversing onto the race piste.

In 1800 work is underway on a new lift close the Vagere going up only a short distance to the vicinty of the golf course (as reported by @snowcrazy)

The Altiport Bar/restaurant has been demolished and looks like a new one is being built.

On the approach to Arc1600 an advertising hoarding shows a new apartment block in 1600. It appears that they will very expensive at about 5700 euro per m2.

@thefatcontroller, The mountain that dominates the skyline is Mont Pourri and the glacier coming towrds you is the Glacier du Grand Col. The ridge you see towards the right of Pourri is the Bellcote which is the top of the La Plagne ski area. The Glacier skiing at La Plagne is on the La Chiaupe glacier the other side of the ridge.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here are the latest details from Les Arcs.

Just finished updating the latest photos in the Summer 2015 Album of work in Les Arcs for next winter. Go to the Les Arcs Summer page.

There is a detailed plan of all the work showing how the piste and race area will be sharing the Cachette run so you can all stop worrying about not being allowed to ski down this piste. According to the details it will be shared from top to bottom. Two race sections as we had last winter. One on the top half, skiers right. One on the bottom section. Skiers left. Two crossing points (tunnels) if built in time. One for Arpette Blue piste (not called Source anymore) and one for the connection from the beginner chair (Combettes) to reach the main lifts. The stades will have timing points at these places as well for racing.

The Red poles johnE mentioned were there last winter and have a netting attached to protect the racers if they crash and also to keep those off piste from skiing down onto the course by mistake!?.

As I mentioned before. The old Altiport bar has been removed and a new place is being built. He hopes to have it open in time for this winter. See photos on the Les Arcs Summer page in the Summer 2015 Album.

The sign for the new apartments has been up for a while. Hard to see where exactly they will be built from the notice. I think they will be either over in the area near the swedish style chalets or possibly below the main road near to the right of the Funi. I will ask next time I am in the planning office.

johnE, There is NO glacier skiing on the Bellecote. Has not been any for years. The face you see on the webcam is the Bellecote North Face. Not really part of the La Plagne pisted ski area, but a very difficult off piste area. The pisted areas are all some distance below the back of the ridge on much easier slopes. Even the Bellecote Bowl black piste nature when open is much easier than the North Face.

For more detail please go to the Les Arcs Summer page. Follow this link.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsSummer

Also some photos of a VTT ride over in La Plagne and more rides in Les Arcs. Now that it is busy I used some of the less well known VTT tracks in the forests. If you are coming out this summer do not miss the chance to go White water rafting, Canyoning, Kayak Raft, Canoe Raft or Hydro on the river in Bourg. It is great fun!

Use this link. They speak English if you want to call them.

http://www.coureurs-rivieres.com/en

No more news about the change in lift passes for next winter. The person I need to speak with is on holiday until next week. More to follow on this when I have the correct details.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

johnE, There is NO glacier skiing on the Bellecote. Has not been any for years.

I thought the top of the La Plagne ski area at the top of the Bellecote telecabine was a glacier. It is marked as such on my map. I know it is not used during the summer but it is still a glacier. It is the easiest route up to the summit of the Bellecote.

The brochure for le Signal apartments shows them being built just after the right turn upto 1600 from the 2000 road
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@johnE, Yes, the top of the Bellecote gondola is partly still a glacier area and in winter you can ski there, but not in summer. I must have misunderstood your post being as it is July now. But it is not possible for most people to reach the summit of the mountain in winter or summer. That is a serious climb up for most people. Look at my photos from last season on the Les Arcs Winter page. We climbed up top a few times. Some really good although serious off piste routes from the top.

Thanks for the info re. the new apartments. When i am next up on my bike I will take a look and get some photos.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@johnE, we will be back I less menuires in a few weeks and I saw your comment on the via Ferrata on the Cochet. I have never tried this, and the other half had ankle ligaments repaired a couple of years ago so still a bit wary. I know it's a tricky question but how do you think we would cope?

Maybe the rafting would suit us better. We had a very memorable couple of days rafting in Costa Rica a few years ago. It was graded 3-4 and we got tipped out once!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If anyone is interested GSI immobilier are one of the agents for the Signal apartments see http://www.gsi-immobilier.com/fr/ARC_1600-T2-1_chambre_s1810 for an artist's impression
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@andy1234, I assume you either have or know where to hire the ferrata gear from (it seems to be getting very expensive). The Cochet ferrata was good and scenic. IIRC it was graded as AD, which is fairly easy. There was an easy walk in which consisted mainly of contouring. The path was fairly well made and will put little strain on the ankles. The decent, however, was tougher with a fairly steep path down (but very, very beautiful). I would recommend walking sticks if your OH’s ankles are week (I used them).

The ferrata is not in some of the guide books and I am not sure in which one we found it but there is plenty on the internet http://static.sitra-tourisme.com/filestore/objets-touristiques/documents/235/77/151019.pdf.
The drive to the parking needs some thought. We initially missed the turn to Châtelard in St. Martin and had to ask directions at the farm house where the tarred road finished. You keep driving along the unsurfaced track for a few km. The car bottomed out a couple times along this track.

We saw no other parties on the ferrata or cars in the car park.

Another, very popular easy and short ferrata (usuful to test out ankle ligaments) is the Cascade at Pralognan

The rafting is, indeed good, I think the Isere is about grade 3 or 4 below Aime, but I think there is other rafting in Bozel river, which may be nearer to you.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks @johnE, will have a look at your suggestions. I know the road to Chatelard having taken the car to the car park beyond the village and then done the walk up to the refuge at Gittamelon.
ski holidays
Talking of Via Ferrata - I notice that a new one has been installed somewhere in Le Plagne. Anyone know any more details, or tried it?
http://www.viaferrata-fr.net/via-ferrata-189-La-falaise-des-Bourtes-La-Plagne-Savoie.html
ski holidays
@ringingmaster, I hadn't come across that one. According to le Dauphine it has only been only open since the 13/7/15
snow report
Yes, I saw it was new for this season. If no one else has done so, we will try it in late August.
snow report
Photos from the last few days now posted in the Summer 2015 album on the Les Arcs Summer page. See how the new Altiport is coming along. The weather has changed and it has started to raiin on and off, but still plenty to do and still not that cold. Yesterday we did some new VTT trails in Les Arcs and on the La Plagne side. Today we did a Via Ferrata and tomorrow it will be a Canoe Raft trip weather permitting.

I am hoping to have more news about the lift passes for next season shortly. More details to follow. The Cachette piste is slowly being developed, let us hope this area and the new lifts in Arc 1800 will be ready in time for the start of next winter. Photos of progress in the Summer 2015 album.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsSummer/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

@ringingmaster, I plan to give it a go shortly. Will post some details later.
latest report
 xrdcarbon
xrdcarbon
thefatcontroller wrote:
Nice little sign of Winter on its way from the Transarc web cam this morning.

so pretty,i like
snow report
Its summer holidays xrdcarbon - but I agree very pretty!
snow conditions
Discount Lift Passes on sale Now - starting to get excited

• 10 % discount on 6-15 Day lift passes, for every order done before the 31st of October 2015 (Excluding Family and Tribu Packages)

Spending more than 20 days on the slopes? Treat yourself with a Season Pass :
• 20 % discount on Les Arcs/Peisey-Vallandry Season Pass for every order done before the 30th of November 2015 .
• 25 % discount on Illimité Paradiski Season Pass for every order done before the 30th of November 2015 .

lesarcs.paradiski.com
snow conditions
I also got the update from CDA. Good news to see that CDA (the lift company owners) did listen to the complaints when the changes for next season were first talked about. For season holders there will be no change. AS LONG AS YOU ORDER BEFORE END OF NOVEMBER. You will still get your free days in other resorts and summer pass as long as you buy a Paradiski pass,, but make sure you do so before the end of November.
ski holidays
Work visible now on the top of the new lift direct from 1800 to the top and into 2000. Will be great addition.

ski holidays
Showing my age here, but didn't there used to be a chair lift (quite a few years ago) which went up to the same place where the new lift is now being installed? I thought that was why the little drinks hut is there slightly out of the way.
snow report
Col des Frettes
ski holidays
The new lift is not directly from 1800. It is from the new Eden Arc development and this is accessed from a new lift coming out of 1800 which terminates just above the new lift from Eden Arc. Agreed, the two lifts will be a great addition.
snow report
Robert Hardy wrote:
The new lift is not directly from 1800. It is from the new Eden Arc development and this is accessed from a new lift coming out of 1800 which terminates just above the new lift from Eden Arc. Agreed, the two lifts will be a great addition.

Coming across from Peisey to get back to 2000 at the moment you go Derby/Transarc or 1800/Transarc or Vagere/Areptte. I'm hoping as you ski across you will be able to get to the new lift rather than ski down into 1800 and take a new lift up to the start of the other new lift? Anyone worked out the geometry?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@thefatcontroller, I think it will involve a bit of a skate up a gentle slope to do that.
snow report
You should be able to get across if you are wiĺling to do some off piste without to much difficulty, but if you stay on piste you must go up hill now to get round the millie 8 development and it could be quite hard work. Easier just to get the millie 8 lift up and then ski down to the new chair when coming from piesey vallandry side or skate across bottom of arc 1800 to the new gonola to edenarc. Still a lot of work to be done if it will be ready for next season.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, @snowcrazy, Thanks guys. If feasible a path shall become obvious when skating across, still better than present options. The 1st new chair should be a fairly short chair?
ski holidays
We did the brand new Via Ferrata in Belle Plagne yesterday. It is a nice route with a couple of great bridges - one is very wobbly. Happy It is rated as a PD, and on the whole that is spot on, but the very final descent from a 28 meter wood slat bridge is probably more like a D as it undercuts a bit, but there is a bypass just before, so no need to do it. It is quite a long via though - taking 45 mins to get to the start (from the signs starting just outside the Tourist Office), probably 3.5 hours on the Via, and 1.5 hour walk down. It took us longer, but we were being very leisurely at the start, and then the weather closed in at the end, making the last sector rather slippy in the wet.

ski holidays
Great job @ringingmaster,
snow report
@ringingmaster, you beat me to it. But the weather was rubbish yesterday. Was out biking and got very wet and muddy again. We plan to do the new VF tomorrow now that the sun has finally come out again. Seems like ages since there was a sunny day. Guess we were very lucky in July. Off to go canoe rafting shortly. Send me a PM if you fancy meeting up.

Back to the prep for next winter season. The building work in Arc 1800 has slowed down on the lifts. Guess they are waiting for the tourists to leave. The Mille lodge area now has it's walls on. They are hoping it will be ready for the winter.

The work continues on the higher sections of the new godola and chair, but has also slowed. Hope it is all finished before the winter arrives.

The work on the Cachette piste in Arc 1600 continues. They are making good progress and are not stopping for August.

Over in La Plagne the montalbert gondola is progressing and should be ready on time they say!?

They are having some bike races over here next week. Rumour is this is prep for the Tour next summer. We shall see?

Not much else right now. More to follow when I get it.
snow conditions
@snowcrazy, I thought you were working the two weeks we are out? Will PM .
ski holidays
@ringingmaster, sent you a reply. Canoe Raft and Mountain biking was fun today IN THE SUNSHINE again at last. Had a good look at the new Altiport bar above Arc 1600 near the snowpark. Hope it will be ready by the start of the winter. Look's good.
latest report
Bit late in posting these two shots of the new hotel at Arc 2000 - this is from about 2 weeks ago:

ski holidays
Looks as if what was the button drag up to the Cabriolet - in front of this new building - will still be a viable route up from the bottom half of the village. A lot of digging going on the other side of the Cabriolet - but no construction as yet - would imagine it will be a hole for this season. If I can find a reasonable shot of it I'll post in a second or two!
latest report
To the left of the Cabriolet (looking from Arc 2000). We think it will still be possible to ski out of 2000 to the Marmottes piste & St Jaques / Varet lift, but it will be tight.

And proof that at least some of the town now opens in the summer! (just a shame the cabriolet closes at 5pm so we didn't bother going up for the bowling in the evening)

ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, Thanks for photos. know of no building project defined for the other side of the cabriolet? Any idea what the hole is for?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy