Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go, 20th December to 2nd Jan?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am looking for your advice please on where to go on a ski trip this Christmas holiday.

I have 20th December to 2nd Jan to myself. I am a 43 year old, intermediate skier looking for somewhere in Austria to just get some skiiing hours in. I am looking for Austria because I speak some German, I like the food, beer, prices and the gentle craziness. Austria seems a lot easier than France (not that I've actually been to France...). I plan to drive from the UK and I have all my own ski gear. I am not looking for "banging" nightlife, but somewhere where there is some life would be good.

Any tips on where to go and how to get the best prices?

Thank you,

Keith
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you looking to just travel and stay by yourself?

If you want to hook up with others visit this board:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewforum.php?f=19

Christmas week is quite expensive and new year really expensive. Do you have any budgetry constraints.

There are people on here who know the Austrian resorts better than me.

Oh, and welcome to Snowheads Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Keith_b, welcome to snowHeads.

There are quite a lot of us out in Austria most of the season. I'm based in Altenmarkt for the whole of that period staying in a 3 star Gasthof. Price for the room is the same all season, 70 euro Half Board. Like you I have my car with me and I decide where to ski according to how I feel and what my friends want to do. http://www.gasthof-rosner.at/en/home.html
As a result of its good location, I can be in one of many ski areas within 30 minutes maximum. Altenmarkt is in the heart of the Ski Amadé area (smallest ski pass) and within easy reach of all the resorts on the Salzburger Super Ski Pass.

Staying out of the main places is the best way to get a good deal. Altenmarkt is connected to Zauchensee with shuttle buses going up all day every day, but it is also a real town with lots of opportunities for other things. Evenings are also interesting, quietish on the whole but there are places to go if you want to party.

Layne, Christmas and New Year are not necessarily expensive if you look around. Most hoteliers who run all year round have a price for summer and another for winter. The upmarket places slopeside have seasonal variation, my previous base has priced itself out of my pocket by appealing to the rich and famous as well as the Russians (they may wish they hadn't this year!). But step back away from slopeside and fewer "wellness" options and you will find most places stick to a simple price.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Layne, Somerberg Sue,

Thank you both for your great replies, exactly what I hoped for. I like the look of AltenMarkt, I was in Sankt johann im pongau back in March this year with my neighbour who worked out there. I'll now go and do the "justify how much I'm going to spend" with myself now.

Keith
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy