Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Opening a Bank Account in France.

Poster: A snowHead
@LaForet, It sounds like Miss FZ is in France not Switzerland. My debit card is both Visa and Carte Bleu and has worked fine online every time I have used it, I do need to have enough in the account for the transaction but no more than that, didn't need an initial deposit.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We've had a debit card for our French account since 2005. Again both Visa and CB, I know there is a separate section of the account for the cards, but there's rarely anything in that section to look at when I view online. I have a feeling at one time that it worked like a charge card, and was paid off on a certain day of the month, but nowadays, transactions are debited from our current account. I certainly didn't have to transfer a large sum to it, int fact they were the ones giving me money in the form of a mortgage.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Miss FZ is now sorted with Lydia. Thanks all.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rjs wrote:
@LaForet, It sounds like Miss FZ is in France not Switzerland. My debit card is both Visa and Carte Bleu and has worked fine online every time I have used it, I do need to have enough in the account for the transaction but no more than that, didn't need an initial deposit.
I had, actually, worked that one out. My point was that in getting an account and cards in another country, it's best not to assume things work the same as in the UK, and to consider if it's likely that that at some future point, you may need a credit card, and if it is, then that into account when looking at the Ts+Cs.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@LaForet, I was describing my experience with a French card in France, I presume Hells Bells was too. Real credit cards are not common in France so vendors are used to handling debit ones.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rjs wrote:
@LaForet, I was describing my experience with a French card in France, I presume Hells Bells was too. Real credit cards are not common in France so vendors are used to handling debit ones.
Ah OK, so you're saying it's likely that the OP can manage in France without a real credit card, then, as debit cards are accepted almost everywhere? Presumably, even if they needed a 'proper' card - like when hiring a car - they could use their UK credit card anyway, and so it's so rare a situation that it isn't worth searching for a French 'proper' credit card.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Folks,

Having to set up a French bank account, any more recent experiences? Currently trying to set up with hsbc but they keep saying my documentation isn’t correct. Driving me nuts!!

Looking for alternatives.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sparkzter, I have a "proper" French account, but also a Wise one (fka Transferwise) which seems to do everything the real one does, with much lower costs, better IT and much less random bureaucracy as well. I'm gradually migrating stuff over to Wise.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We had no bother with HSBC, done by phone, they made us an appointment in UK branch to scan docs and opened very rapidly (charge cards and cheque book arrived in a week). We use that for our 'normal' french banking, mortgages, insurances etc. But we've taken to using Revolut for a lot of day to day. You can get a UK sort code and account no, and I think you might be able to get a French IBAN...?

A lot of people rate CA Britline; haven't had any experience myself, but friends in similar set ups to us use them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We have HSBC for direct debits to come out of but use Revolut for transfers to top up. French banking is generally a bit of a pain. Getting money or of the account used to involve a face-to-face sit down with someone. I thought I might have to go to lunch with them or play a round of golf if I needed anything more completed... Fortunately, UK cards like Halifax and others give you a clean rate and are free to obtain.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I thought I might have to go to lunch with them or play a round of golf if I needed anything more completed...

Arranging a transfer for a new car was an all afternoon event. I was given coffee…
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sparkzter, It took me a couple of visits to my local HSBC branch to set mine up. Found that several household bills didn't have the correct details, they had been close enough to get delivered to me but wrong in some way.

What is wrong with your documentation?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Credit Agricole Britline
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sparkzter wrote:
Hi Folks,

Having to set up a French bank account, any more recent experiences? Currently trying to set up with hsbc but they keep saying my documentation isn’t correct. Driving me nuts!!

Looking for alternatives.

Thanks.

My daughter spent a year in Paris and used Revolut for the first six months. She did get a Lydia account later but only because her 2nd internship needed a bank with a proper RIB. I think she still used revolut 99% of the time.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think Britline is for property owners only. We have one for our French mortgage, and I cannot begin to tell you the amount of info they needed to open the thing. We just use it for the mortgage and some of the house bills. We don't use it for day to day cash, supermarket etc.
Get a Revolut card - you can hold sterling and exchange to euros as you go along/when the rates are good and hold euros in thew account too. As long as you don't get the "source of funds" request (which we had real hassle with 2 years ago when using Revolut to exchange and transfer significant funds for our french house purchase-it meant the account was suspended for about a week at a time), it works very smoothly, though mine doesn't always work on every contactless terminal (Mr P's does for some reason!).
latest report
Quote:

We don't use it for day to day cash, supermarket etc.

May I ask why not. We use our Britline account all over the Euro zone with no problems at all. Just transfer money in every now and again. The only slight hitch is that there is a limit on how much you can use the debit card in any calendar month. IIRC it is about 3000€
ski holidays
Revolut is certainly the bet option. You will be able to have a EU IBAN and if you move premium you will have insurance for ski included...... For the record HSBC is looking to sell it's french branch.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy