Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing shin pads

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Last trip I got really sore shins from the ski boots so have been looking into buying a pair of shin pads specifically designed for skiers. Has anyone bought these products and if so how effective are they?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just get some boots that actually fit would be a better solution.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tomboofey, I have used the Sidas stickon reusable gel thing and it works well.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would think your probably tightening your boots too much, it is something that can happen.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have used Epitact reusable tibial protection. I couldn't have skied without them last year so recommend something like it if you are having problems. It's not always a question of boots fitting incorrectly IMO...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No but sometimes when doing up boots people can tighten the top clip more than is needed, so will bruise their shins, worth checking it out and saving money on pads if you don't need them. Sometimes it is just a matter of making the tension less tight if you insist on closing them on the last possible clip.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tomboofey, i used to have a pair of what you describe.
2nd year skiing i foolishly hired a pair of racing boots.
Seemed wonderfully comfortable in the shop, but by the end of the day my shins were agony.
I thought the whole trip was ruined.
Changed to rear entry salomons (remember them?), but still agony.
Then someone showed me these padded thingies that went right round my shin (rather than shin-pad a là football), slightly cone-shaped with an elastic but that went round the bottom of my foot.
Saved the day. Never had to use them again, but kept them for years. Might still be up in the loft somewhere.

So, yes, best to get boots that fit proper
but if you get clobbered by the Wrong Boots, special shin protectors might well be the answer.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was saved by a pair of shin shields I think they are, boots went from great to agony overnight and they sorted it right out.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If your shins hurt, the boots are too big or not done up tightly enough.

You may also have hiking or tennis socks, multiple pairs of socks or leggings tucked down your socks. You shouldn't.

The pads are good if you've already bruised them by ignoring the above rules.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
the epitact gel shin pads are great for people with a very sharp tibial crest, scarring or bone callus from a break, (or if you have done the damage and need a quick fix) but for the most part pain like this can be alleviated with a boot which fits that area snugger, it is not about cranking up that top buckle, but having it loose to the point where your leg is banging back and forth inside the shaft of the boot is a recipe for pain... the pain can also be caused by a twisting motion of your lower leg if the foot is not well supported in the boot.....ie if the foot pronates excessively there will be an internal twist of the lower leg which puts a force on the shin

other things which can cause shin pain (depends what you mean by pain of course)

socks (either ribbed or too short)
hairs on legs (coming through socks and catching with the friction..shave shins if this happens, they will be plucked bare after a couple of weeks anyway)
hanging on the front of the boot or sitting back (stance & technique related problems)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good explanation CEM Smile My boots fit well but I've always struggled with my Zipfit liner tongues (which have had more gunk injected each season). They have caused me loads of discomfort for the first few weeks then my shins are generally OK for the rest of the season. Last year I went out very hard and fast on my first day, skiing loads of chopped up and bumpy powder. I was in agony for weeks and suffered all season with bone spurs and swelling on my shins. So I'd agree that shin bang or pain is a symptom of something not being optimal with the boot but not the only reason like Colin has listed above. Any news on the new pair CEM?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
juliad, new pair?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy