Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hokkaido, Japan 2014/15

Poster: A snowHead
Spring is definitely here! The weather has been awesome this weekend. Sunshine and temperatures in the mid teens even up in the hills. We were at Teine and Yubari enjoying the sun and slush. Not really any new snow on the horizon, but we can expect another solid month or more of spring skiing.

Put together a little edit from 'Locals Only March'

Locals Only March from Andy Evans
https://vimeo.com/123530871
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Warm temperatures and sunny days continue! Snow is melting from almost all low lying areas now. Still some snow sticking around on the local hill, so I've been hiking the park section most afternoons.

Still a few days snow left on this jump

Surrounding area almost all free of snow now. Sapporo hills, Teine etc, in the background.

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Saturday 28 March 2015

SPRING TOURING ON THE SHAKOTAN PENINSULA

SPIRIT

http://youtube.com/v/wwQdJMQo5fU

My last Hokkaido ski for the season was a solo tour of Shakotan-dake (1255m) and Yobetsu-dake (1298m) on the Shakotan Peninsula.

Further information and links

Hokkaido Backcountry Club
http://www.tetongravity.com/story/ski/creating-the-hokkaido-backcountry-project

http://www.hokkaidobackcountryclub.com/#!-Hokkaido-Backcountry-Project-Ep-4-Exploring-Shakotan-/crp0/4B778D40-FDE2-446A-913E-B19F26F953FA

http://youtube.com/v/sXUV9Mj7RMg

Backcountry Magazine & Cascade Designs
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/blog/hut-skiing-on-japans-shakotan-peninsula/

Japanese vid

http://youtube.com/v/nU5fKXCYmmk
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice one @Mike Pow. Awesome weather for it!

We hiked Fuppushi, one of the Lake Shikotsu mountains yesterday. (Without skis) Fantastic views of the lake and surrounding mountains. Would be a decent mountain to ski, but maybe a little earlier in the season.

View over the lake to Eniwa-dake

View south to the distinctive shape of Tarumae-zan

Looking down to Yotei. Shiribetsu-dake and Rusutsu Resort to the left.

Heavy rain today unfortunately.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers MagSeven. It's a fantastic area with some superb terrain.

Great shots. Fuppushi has been on the list for years. Great line.

Lake Shikotsu peaks pics from last season here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=104830&start=240
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We headed out to Eastern Hokkaido over the weekend. Not for skiing unfortunately, but a hiking/sightseeing trip with my brother who's visiting Hokkaido. Just sharing some photos of the amazing scenery out that way.

Kurodake from the top of the Sounkyo Ropeway. Still very nice conditions up there. Looks like some fresh snow in the week, so we're contemplating heading back with our skis next weekend.

View from the Akan Pass. Sun setting behind Oakan-dake, with Meakan-dake behind and to the left. You can just about see the volcanic smoke billowing from Meakan, a semi active volcano.

Another view of Oakan-dake, from Lake Akan which is still mostly frozen.

View from Bihoro pass. Overlooking the northern edge of Lake Kussharo to Shari-dake.

Skiing will resume on Saturday, hopefully with a bit of fresh snow.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow this morning. Big heavy flakes and starting to settle even down here at sea level.

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great photos.

Enjoy the pow Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
After the midweek snow, we had sunny days Thursday and Friday. Any new powder melted into the snowpack quickly unfortunately. I went to Teine on Saturday, snow was holding out well, with good cover everywhere. Fairly slushy lower down but decent up top. Bowls will still be rideable for a good few weeks.

100th day of the season. Teine

Today (Monday) I went to Nakayama Touge for a spring park session. The snow is still very good there, and the park set up is, as always, really solid. I'll definitely venture up there a couple more times this month.

Nakayama Touge ski area and park. Muine-yama in the background.

Yotei-zan from Nakayama
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow, what a thread .... Very Happy would someone "local" mind sharing some advice pls?
Would 1st half of January be OK to go to Niseko?
What is approx budget once in place, say for 10 days - average accomodation, skipass, ski rent?
Is there specific changeover days like in Europe?
Accomodation - from what I read, there is no ski-in/out type of accomodation in Japan? How far from the lifts people usualy stay?

Thinking of doing DIY, any advice is mostly welcome (appologies if it is repetitive, went through the thread and did not find this info).
Thanks a lot!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi @mooney058. Yeah, first half of January would be a good time to be around. Usually very regular snowfall, and enough of a base built up to make the off piste areas very accessible. Sorry, I'm not really a Niseko local, its been a couple of years since I've been there in the winter. I can give some info though:

I'm not sure the average cost for accomodation in Niseko, prices seem to be going up quite steeply. It really depends on what kind of accomodation you're looking for. There's anything from hostels up to luxury penthouses. An all day, all area lift pass for Niseko United is around 6,000. Not sure about ski rental though I'm afraid.

Don't think there's a specific changeover day per se. I assume overseas visitors would usually do weekend to weekend trips, but I don't imagine its as set in stone as with many places in the Alps.

There are a few ski in ski out properties in Upper Hirafu in Niseko. They're definitely more on the luxurious/expensive side of the spectrum. There is plenty in Hirafu that is walking distance to the lifts, and also shuttle buses that do the rounds from more distant areas.

If you're DIYing, I'd definitely recommend hiring a car to get out of Niseko for a few days. Both to beat the crowds, and to get outside the Aussie/Western bubble.

There's a fair bit of info on Japan if you search the Trip Reports section of SH. But if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask me here or by PM!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We had ski in/out at Furano for very reasonable prices in the old Furano Prince Hotel. Not up market but clean, friendly, breakfast included and a number of restaurants within easy walking distance. Center of town was only 150 yen on the bus for lots more food choices. A mainly Japanese resort well worth a few days.
In Niseko Hirafu the free bus service will get you to the lifts in just a few minutes no matter where you stay so location is not really an issue and depending on exactly where you stay there is the possibility of skiing in at the end of the day. We paid about $1500 NZ for seven nights in an apartment in Niseko, seven nights in the hotel in Furano with seven breakfasts, six days skiing at Furano, transfers from Sapporo airport to Niseko, Niseko to Furano (via airport) and transfer back to the airport. Each transfer leg was about 3hrs by bus. All in all very reasonable. We self catered in Niseko and found eating out cheap, tasty and filling.
We all absolutely loved the whole trip. This was in early Feb so missed the very busiest time.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@MagSeven, @Sarge McSarge, thanks to you both! My family ski for next year is under big question mark, so instead I though why not to make two consecutive weeks with my friends, and why not in Japan? I mention Niseko as this is what I mostly see/read on here. Other suggestions to Japan 'virgins' would be mostly welcome, although flying into Sapporo looks like the best option. Hiring a car sounds interesting, but as I come from Belgium driving on the 'wrong' side scares me a bit Smile Although one guy from our company have lived in Ireland for some time so should in principle be able to drive also in Japan ... to be checked.

What would be areas/resorts falling into Aussie/Western radar - as it would be my first time in Japan, trying it for several days would not be a problem, but visiting more 'local' areas would be certainly interesting. Also getting into local envirenment outside skiing for a day or two would be fun too. I know this is not very specific, trying to put my head around as it would be a novel experience, new area - each name is googled to see where/what/how.

So far Niseko-Furano combo looks like a perfect plan (except driving). I'm surprised of how 'low' JPN mountains are ... but vertical is +/- as in Europe. Also lots of old(-er) infrastructure as I can see.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Driving really is quite simple, even on the wrong side of the road! The roads are well marked and as long as you leave plenty of time for your journey and don't travel if there are blizzard warnings, then you'll have no problems.

I'd say a Niseko-Furano combo is a good idea. Niseko is a good base for 5/6 days, but also visit other nearby resorts - Rusutsu, Kiroro, Moiwa. Then when you travel up to Furano, Sapporo is also worth a few days, mainly for its larger ski areas - Teine and Kokusai, and also to spend time in a really fun city. Then finish up at Furano, with trips to Kamui or Asahidake/Kurodake, and potential touring in Daisetsuzan if you're into that.

You could also then fly out of Asahikawa airport to return to Tokyo. Asahikawa itself is a fun city and worth a night.

More and more westerners are getting to the smaller places now, but they still definitely feel more Japanese than Niseko. The good thing about having a car is that you can explore as much as you want. There are dozens of smaller ski areas all over the place, so if you're driving and see one, you can just stop off and ski for a couple of hours, usually lift tickets don't cost much at all.

You can still quite easily do a Niseko and Furano trip using buses or trains, plus a few trips to other resorts. There are shuttle buses from Niseko to Rusutsu and Kiroro now, and also from Furano to Kamui. Although I do think they can fill up. Of course, using buses and trains would avoid the potential stress if you're not comfortable driving, but you'd be a lot less flexible with where you could visit and when.

Yes, mountains in Hokkaido are significantly lower than in Europe. The tallest mountain is just under 2,400m. But most of the ski areas top out between 1,000 and 1,500 metres. Many are lower, and the bases can be as low as sea level! Most people who visit are suprised at how flat the island is between the mountains.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The season continues here in Hokkaido. We had a fun day up at Sapporo Teine today. Slushy snow but great weather.

Blue skies, empty slopes

Some fun lines through the trees.

A few bare patches on the lower slopes.....

Heading up to Nakayama Touge tomorrow for another park session.
snow report
Getting really warm this weekend. Very sunny today at Nakayama Touge. Very slushy and tough to get speed in the park.

This guy not struggling too much though:

From Nakayama we had a good view of Mt Yotei, which looked very tempting. Weather is looking great tomorrow, so we're going to get an early start and have a crack at the summit.
snow report
Had a very early start yesterday, for probably my final day of the season, and my final day skiing in Hokkaido this time around.

Left home at around 3:00am to get to the foot of Mount Yotei for 5:30 just after sunrise.

Surprisingly we were able to skin straight from the parking lot. We made our way up the approach through fairly rotten and debris covered snow onto the lower slopes.

The snow turned firm higher up, and we bootpacked from around half way.

Around 2/3rds of the way up we paused for about 30 minutes, waiting to see if the wind would die down as forecasted. It was very gusty early on, but fortunately it slackened off, so we were able to continue to the summit.

View down to Niseko resort area from just below the top.

Kampai at the top, looking over the crater. The climb took us about 6 hours.

My mate Peter was knackered so rested at the top, but I couldn't resist skiing into the crater. I skinned around the rim

And dropped this line in the centre of the shot.

After a 20 minute hike out the sun was really warming things up. (It turned out to be the hottest day of the year so far, temps of 29 recorded in Sapporo!) Time to head down. The snow was really great for most of the long decent, nice spring corn almost to the bottom.

Me

Peter

A really awesome day.
latest report
Grainy video of the line into the crater

Skiing into the crater on Mt Yotei from Andy Evans
https://vimeo.com/126251660

So that's probably it now as we'll be leaving Hokkaido this summer after 5 years here. 406 ski days over the 5 winters. It's been incredible. Thanks for following!

Feel free to contact me on here in the future if you want any info or advice on skiing or general travel to Hokkaido. If you want to keep following and see what we get up to over the summer months, keep an eye on www.ezopow.com

Stay tuned for the next adventure - we'll be returning to the UK by bicycle. Leaving here in August, getting to Europe by early 2017, hopefully in time to get some skiing in the Alps!

It's going to be tough leaving. But we'll be back.
ski holidays
Very well played.

Great to ski with you.

Safe cycing.
snow report
Quote:

Stay tuned for the next adventure - we'll be returning to the UK by bicycle.

Looking forward to your reports on this trip. Good luck.
snow conditions
Cheers! If you're interested, our blog for the cycling trip is at www.pedallingwest.wordpress.com
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy