Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenevre advice - transfers, travel companies, etc

Poster: A snowHead
Busy planning a group trip to Montgenevre at Easter (6 adults and 5 children), we have lessons sorted with A Peak, flights are about to be booked, and now looking at accommodation and transfers.

I can't see any good flight+accommodation packages so I think we will go ahead and book flights, before they get any more expensive, and then find accommodation separately (there are plenty of apartments available).

Ideally, as we are in a group, we were looking at catered chalets, but the only one I can find available is the Chalet Genepy through Zenith Holidays. The few reviews I've found on the chalet sound ok, but I've also read negative reviews on Zenith so a bit wary. I've been told the new public swimming pool is due to open sometime this winter which would be a bonus, but wouldn't count on this just in case.

We are not overly keen on a self-catered chalet with the group (previous experience even without children in tow was too stressful - don't ask!), but we are also considering three separate 2-bed apartments in the new CGH Napoleon due to open this winter (centrally located and has heated indoor pool). The cheapest place I can find this is by booking through CGH directly (unsurprisingly), however we would also want transfers from Turin. Can anyone recommend a company that does airport transfers on its own, and could accommodate the 11 of us?

Lastly, is there a particular ski hire shop that anyone recommends? I think the Napoleon is very close to the ski school meeting point, but if we go for the chalet which is further out, I would be tempted to find a ski shop that offers ski lockers so we don't have to carry them very far.

Thanks for any advice you can give me on any of the above!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SkiPenguin, have a look at the Alpine Transfer company which is based in Serre Chevalier for transfers, or have a look at Go Montgenevre for more inclusive packages of accommodation and transfers.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Hells Bells. I am already in touch with Go-Montgenevre, but it doesn't look like they have any accommodation to suit so I wasn't sure they would offer transfer only. I will ask them. I will have a look at the Alpine Transfer company. Thanks.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SkiPenguin, no I don't think they will offer separate transfers, but ATC certainly will be able to offer something I think.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SkiPenguin, try Ski Etoile as well as Go Montgenevre. Volfy is on here from Ski Etoile, always very helpful. Also look at Peak Retreats for Montgenevre packages, really good company to deal with.

Independently there is a nice chalet http://www.lepotdemiel.com/en never stayed but looked at it.

Ski hire, ask A Peak who they recommend and ask them if they have lockers.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You could try James at sauzeonline.com. He's a very helpful chap.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sarah, I have tried Ski Etoile. They have found me some apartments to look at which I have sent to the rest of our group to look at. They also have the Napoleon ones which we like, but more expensive. It may well be that they end up cheaper all-in if I take their transfers though so they are on my list.

Peak Retreats - I haven't had a great first impression from them to be honest. I filled in an online booking form for transfers and accommodation and they quoted for Eurotunnel crossing and accommodation. I emailed back reiterating I wanted a quote with airport transfers and they haven't replied!

Le Pot De Miel was recommended by A Peak as it is owned by one of their instructors. Does look lovely but a bit out of the way in the Hameau end of the resort, whereas we want to be more central. It does look great, I agree! For our first trip with children, we don't want the hassle of shuttle buses or long walks in the mornings so we have crossed it off.

musher, I will try James. Thanks.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have also tried Igluski, GetSkiing, Crystal Ski and Thomson Ski but none have availability for that week. I was told that some operators are only selling Montgenevre till the week before (28/03/15) due to risk of no snow?!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SkiPenguin, there's also http://www.rocketski.com/ which has a hotel in probably the best location in the resort but it is quite basic I think as it's generally used by school groups. Having said that I think it's quite cheap and it's all in with flights and transfers.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SkiPenguin wrote:
I have also tried Igluski, GetSkiing, Crystal Ski and Thomson Ski but none have availability for that week. I was told that some operators are only selling Montgenevre till the week before (28/03/15) due to risk of no snow?!

More fool them then. It's one of the safer bets for late season.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's what I though, sarah, after reading quite a lot of Easter reports for Montgenevre on here!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just looked at Rocket Ski - they have no availability for the Easter weeks. Ah well, worth a try. Thanks!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SkiPenguin, I can vouch for the fact Montgenevre is a good bet for skiing at Easter having skied there twice late March/early April. Our children had lessons with Apeak the first time and the lessons were very good.

We stayed in Le Hameau des Airelles with Peak Retreats both times the second time in a group of six families (all with our own apartments). Some of the families from that trip have now been to Montgenevre three times at Easter as they loved it so much! Another set of friends are going to Montgenevre this season with Peak Retreats and have had a quote for a transfer from Turin airport so I believe they do offer transfers.

Les Chalets des Dolines apartments are across the piste from le hameau des airelles and would be a bit more luxurious if your budget will run to it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you snowymum. I have been very impressed with the communications from Victor at A Peak so far, and am already excited about the children learning to ski! It's even more exciting now that we have decided to go in a group and they will have ready-made friends with them.

I am still waiting to hear back from Peak Retreats but it's been a few days since my last email whereas the other companies have emailed or called back the same day.

The Napoleon apartments are the same company that own the Chalets des Dolines, I believe, and so it looks luxurious, and right in the village centre, so we are almost set on that now.

I am now trying Erna Low as they are offering these apartments and seem to do transfers. There must be a good deal to be had!

Flights are now booked so it's all getting very real. snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SkiPenguin, the Napoleon is the same chain and is in a good location for Apeak meeting point. However I would double check that it will be fully built for next season before going ahead with your booking. We booked another CGH MGM place (Le centaure, Flaine) in its first year and later changed accommodation when it transpired the pool would not be available. Check if the underground carpark will be available too.

The beginner slopes at Montgenevre are ideal for kids learning to ski. It was the resort where both my children really took off with their skiing (even though not their first ski holiday). I don't remember Victor from Apeak but it is a few years since we used them so I expect new staff have joined.
snow report
SkiPenguin, good choice with Monty, great resort!
We've been twice, once in Jan and the other time in April, both times were excellent, great snow, quiet pistes etc.

The first time we went we were with Neilson, but I don't think they run catered chalets in Monty any longer. We stayed in the Chalet Soleil (next door to Chalet Genepy), which is a newish chalet and was lovely. Might be worth trying to find out who runs that chalet now?

Second time we went with Zenith and stayed in the Chalet Genepy. Your info re the chalet and Zenith are accurate....decent chalet (not in the same class as Soleil), and only decent service from Zenith (the food was poor compared with other providers, staff ok but not great, etc...).

The options you stated (apartments) all look good (quite plush from what I remember), and there is the Hotel Anova (spelling?) if you wanted a catered option, but I think this may be rather expensive?

Re: ski shops & transfers, might well be worth asking A-Peak for their thoughts - they're a really helpful lot and I'm sure would have some ideas for you.

Enjoy!!
latest report
Thanks snowymum - I have checked with a couple of providers and the Napoleon is on track to be complete and fully open for the beginning of season. Based on that, I'm confident we should be fine for April. Thanks for prompting me to check!

jellemr, thanks for your recommendation which got me looking at Montgenevre. The Genepy, Soleil and the other one in that group are all run by Zenith now. I think we're set on apartments now, and should make things straightforward, and more flexible.

APeak have given me some ski hire recommendations so I'll start on those once the main items are booked. snowHead
latest report
Hi SkiPenguin, Montgenevre is a great choice of resort and very popular with groups and families, I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful time. At Peak Retreats, we can arrange everything for you including transfers and ski hire and we have availability in some fantastic accommodation during the Easter period. I’m sorry there may have been a misunderstanding during your communications with our reservations team and be assured that this is not our standard practice. If you are still looking to book, please call our reservations manager Marika who will ensure you get a speedy response.
ski holidays
+1 for Ski Etoile, we went with them a couple of years ago and were very happy.
ski holidays
We stayed at le rois mages with rocket ski at christmas a few years ago and like people have said it is very basic but served its purpose.
The only bad thing was the 5 hour transfer from Grenoble Shocked
ski holidays
We have booked! In the end, we went with Erna Low who didn't just price match, they beat the best price I could find to ensure that I would book with them. They called me rather than e-mailed me, discussed what it was I wanted, checked the prices I had found, then undercut them.

I have to say that the communications from Ski Etoile and PowderBeds were both good, and I would look at them again in the future.

Surprisingly, I have still not had a reply from my e-mail to Peak Retreats asking for a requote for airport transfers instead of Eurotunnel.

All the communications with Seb and Victor at A-Peak have also been good, and we are looking forward to their lessons.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and recommendations.

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
gad, FIVE hour transfer?!?
snow conditions
SkiPenguin, sounds like a combination of traffic and bad weather. The Col du Lauteret can be tricky in snow especially if it is windy too. We were driving to Serre Che one Christmas Eve, got as far as Grenoble and had to divert via Gap.
snow report
Wow, 5 hour transfer sounds rather depressing!
Seems odd to fly you to Grenoble for Monty, when Turin is such a great option?
ski holidays
Yes that does seem odd. Saying that, at least one of the quotes I had from an operator last week was only flying to Grenoble. I asked if they could do Turin instead but it wasn't an option. I didn't query any further as it wasn't very competitive/accommodation wasn't suitable.
latest report
SkiPenguin, I don't think there are quite so many charter flights going to Turin these days, maybe that landing charges are cheaper at Grenoble.
latest report
Hells Bells, Is that really the case? I've kept an eye on Gatwick but can't comment on other airports.

A few years ago there weren't any direct flights from Gatwick to Turin. Now I think there are direct Easyjet and BA flights.
ski holidays
Yes, we are flying out with BA and back with Easyjet to Gatwick. I guess maybe the quote I had was a package with charter flights. I can't remember to be honest. I think BA do 2 flights a day and Easyjet 1 (certainly on Saturdays anyway).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowymum, Turin flights have always tended to be on Sundays I think. One of the larger TOs used to do a Saturday, but that appears (with a very quick search) to be the one that has disappeared and of the places I know that offer Saturday arrivals to Serre Chevalier, all seem to be arriving at Grenoble. BA have always flown to Turin from Gatwick, but I thought we were talking about charter flights?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy