Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas Fee November 2014

Poster: A snowHead
Hoping to travel to Saas Fee at end of November for our 10 year anniversary for a couple of days. Flying in to Zurich and hope to get the train. Any suggestions for good hotels or other resorts easily reached by train welcome - thank you.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Engelberg is 2-hours from Zurich by train, changing at Lucerne. Not sure when the ski season starts though, Nov-end may be a little early.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mrs johnboy, Engelberg opens Mid October - Early November normally, Saas Fee is probably one of the prettiest resorts in the alps! I Winter in Engelberg, so its hard for me to say it but it is true. Train takes 2.5 hours from Zurich to Saas 30 minutes of which is the final bus ride up the hill, Swiss transfer ticket available from the Swiss rail site will be the cheapest option for getting to Saas Fee.

Mrs johnboy, Depends what the Budget is but in order of cost and quality for saas Fee, Ferinart Hotel, Schwizerhoff, The Dom, the Parkhotel there is also the new Welness hotel 4000 at the top of the village.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you want resorts closer to Zurich-Voodoobob is right about Engelberg-Went to Engleberg in March-it was an easy train ride from Zurich. I can't say I was bowled over by the place. Horrendous queues at the bottom lift as it was a weekend-the worst I'd seen anywhere in years. We had an instructor for some off piste guiding, and he was allowed to queue jump there, but nowhere else on the mountain. There's lots of accommodation, but not a lot of on mountain piste skiing unless you are into serious off piste. We skied the Laub-twice, and it was great, but came to the conclusion that there are better places for a short break.

We are big fans of Zermatt-just booked 3 nights there from 25th Nov on a ski testing package (you can also do that in Saas Fee). It's not much longer by train than going to Saas Fee. You should get enough snow to ski over to Cervinia by the end of Nov. There are some awesome hotels in Zermatt, though I think our current fave (the Europe Hotel and Spa) is full that week. I have my eye on the Hotel Matterhornfocus for another trip. If you want to be near the open lifts, it's best to stay at the south end of town close to the Matterhorn Paradise gondola.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Perty, You are doing Engelberg wrong!!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey Fattes13, would be interested to hear your opinion on Engelberg, particularly on any experience of conditions in December. Having done some reaserch I'm having doubts on the extent of the piste runs. I don't wish to hijack this Saas-Fee thread, so if possible please comment at http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=112110. Cheers.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skidm, Done on the other thread for you, drop me a pm if you need anything
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mrs johnboy, Saas Fee is great and really is picture postcard pretty as Fattes13 says. I'd think it would be ideal for an anniversary get away. The glacier is open all the way through from July so that is definitely available but depending on snow there's a reasonable chance it may be open down to 2500 metre mid station (still 1000m vertical) and you never know your luck may get down to resort.

We've done train from Zurich airport and its pretty easy, one change on the train before getting off and postbus up to resort. All in I think it was just over 3 hrs. The swiss rail site is helpful and gives you times, including buses, for the whole journey. If you're going on a Saturday and there's ski test or anything like that going on it might be worth reserving on the Postbus as they can be busy.

There are a couple of pretty swanky hotels if that's what you're looking for given its your anniversary - the Schweizerhof and the Ferienart. I've had a nosey in the Ferienart but never stayed in either as way out of my budget with the family! The Hotel Bristol is meant to be decent and is right by the lifts and in full on winter conditions you can ski back to it.

If you have any other questions about it just ask, I've been there a few times.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Rowlski, have you skied Saas-Fee in mid December? If so how did you find the conditions?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
VoodooBob, sadly not though next year considering a Warren Smith course there as a 40th birthday treat! I have met a few regulars whilst there who have a place and go a lot. December can be great by all accounts though one thing to bear in mind is that Dec / Jan Saas Fee is surrounded by 4000m peaks so doesn't get the sun at all at that time of year so can be bitterly cold ...

We've tended to go later, more snow and its a bit warmer.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Check out http://www.swisswintersports.co.uk/saas-fee.php for the complete low down on Saas-Fee. It was the first resort in Switzerland I ever skied, and I go back nearly every year. November is early in the season so you can't ski down the village, but there will be good snow at the top. Remember it is high and you might suffer a bit from altitude sickness unless you take it easy. There are some great hotels in and around Saas-Fee, but for cheaper accomodation there are some deals in the nearby villages like Saas-Grund (http://www.swisswintersports.co.uk/saas-grund.php) which is easy to get to by the ever-reliable buses. Saastal rocks!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Was contemplating an early season trip to Saas-Fee, but have noticed on the offical web-site that quite a lot of the lifts will be closed until the 20th December. Is it really worth going prior to this date to ski for a few days? Would love to hear people's thoughts.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi I spent the last week in Saas-fee and had only two days where the lifts were open.
I couldn't wait to get home. Never known anything like it in 40 years of travelling.
Hotel Europa "VORSICHT" Buyer Beware!
Hotel Europa Saas-Fee offered me an upgrade to a more expensive room.
Then on checking-out I found they'd charged me full price for the better room.
Other things to watch:
The Fire alarm is disguised as a communal stair-lightswitch. Press it and it'll cost you SFR400. (As I found out to my cost fumbling about in pitch dark basement)
I told them of my silly mistake (Well, it wasn't that silly as there was no emergency lighting and no proper fire alarm signage- just a single point of light by the switch in the pitch black stair. I couldn't even see my keycard in front of my face and tried to turn on a light.) The Fire alarm break-glass switch looks like a lightswitch and the glass breaks with the slightest finger pressure). I had apologised -So that, I thought, was that, until check-out when the guard gave me the bill with an exra SFR400 for fire alarm on it. Two staff - including the scary Dutchman appeared behind me to ensure swift payment.
They offer Free Internet - but they don't tell you that is for use in the tiny, cold lobby only. Proper internet in your room costs SFR6 per day.
The Service level from one or two of the staff was reminiscent of WWII Escape movies where the heroes get to Switzerland only to be handed over to the Gestapo by the trusty Swiss. You get a feeling that they really don't like you.
My recommendation: Book for two days maximum. Then once you get there and want to stay, book two more. The hotel is empty, but they'll hold you to your booking days.
The twin rooms are the size of single-rooms. There is no room for two people to change at once.
Don't expect things to work properly (Yes, I know Switzerland is supposed to be perfect).
Don't expect them to have your interests at heart.
The Resort.
After a snowfall - even on perfect days, the resort lifts may remain closed. It's a dangerous place with glaciers beetling over everything. They need a whole day at least to let off the avalanches before they can open.
Most of the resort is shut. No bars, no restaurants. The locals are all away on holiday.
Wind
If there is a windspeed above 30kph at the summit, they'll be shut.
When the resort is shut - there is no refund of your pass. You might get a credit for another day - but that's no good if you bought a week's pass. I chose to buy only two days' pass at a time. It's not much more expensive and a lot cheaper than eating the cost of a day's closure.
I don't want to put you off. You may very well be luckier than I was.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Train or Hire-Car?
I would hire. Even for one person. Check that the train will get you back to the airport in time for your flight.
For Zermatt, you can drop-off at Tasch, and hire again nearer the end of the week.
This will save on parking fees. Get covered parking - or you could end up spending half an hour clearing the car on your return.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@SkiPresto, Doesn't seem like a good week but nobody can predict the weather.

Did you send that email to Admin requesting a change in your user name to your real name Puzzled or are you happy hiding behind your user name when criticising a hotel wink
latest report
As far as I could tell, visiting for part of a day, there was no off piste available without a guide because so much is glacier - and only a very little with a guide.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy