Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SkiWelt/Kitzbuheler Alpen Snow Weather Report 2014/15

Poster: A snowHead
Lots of snow today. Only half of the pistes opened. Great powder at pistes.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks @mikeelsa!! snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It has snowed for two days and snow depth is amazing. Loafs of off piste and blue skies this morning to enjoy it in
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Loads not loafs
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Loads not loafs
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mikeelsa wrote:
It has snowed for two days and snow depth is amazing. Loafs of off piste and blue skies this morning to enjoy it in

Breakable crust?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weather in the Kitzbuhler Alps is like late March, and the forecast is for more of the same for the next week. It is warm during the day, but gets very cold at night to keep the snow in reasonable condition. This was the pistes above Jochberg yesterday.

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@johnbarr, what's it like on the lower slopes currently? Got a pic?! Be there in less than 2-weeks. Hopefully we'll get more white stuff and it won't be like April skiing! Cheers.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lower slope into johann yesterday was pretty much the same as up top as it was a little cooler . I skiied with espri and john on sunday and it snowed all day and into monday that meant great conditions mostly for the week. Yesterday was definately not spring skiing in most areas despite the sun as st johann is north facing a lot was fairly hard packed and some scrapped.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skied the SkiWelt for 2 days so far.

Everything is largely intact, the South side of all areas is thin on piste, and most of the surrounding land is brown/snowless.

When they market it as a linked ski area, how is it that you've no ski bus links from resort to resort? Having to wait 2 hours for a Post bus between Scheffau and Soll is a bit of a joke IMHO
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@oofaafuu, most people ski over, it is much quicker and easier for most people except perhaps absolute beginners wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.bergfex.com/kitzbuehel-kirchberg/webcams/c2555/

Some nasty people must have been shovelling the snow off the mountain and round the corner down into the valley to make the mountains look bare!!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Samerberg Sue wrote:
@oofaafuu, most people ski over, it is much quicker and easier for most people except perhaps absolute beginners wink
Sue, it depends on where you've been and where you're ending up as the lifts are closing.

First time we've been to Soll since 1998, I just assumed that they'd have the capacity and demand for linked buses as well as the 91 lifts.

20 years as an absolute beginner must be something of a record though......

Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
any news on snow conditions out in Soll, off there on Saturday....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Curzonian, I skied from Going to Scheffau via Ellmau this morning. For a while it snowed heavily, but not for too long. The snow is pretty good, pistes are well covered except for low, south facing slopes, which are thin in places. Still too many people around, hopefully next week will be quieter.

Have fun!
snow conditions
@johnbarr, thanks for the update, off to Westendorf on Saturday. snowHead snowHead
snow report
2waterford wrote:
@johnbarr, thanks for the update, off to Westendorf on Saturday. snowHead snowHead
we skied across to the furthest point South of the area (Westerndorf) yesterday and it's all intact, you just feel the change in the snow below the natural snow line.

There's a piste that is currently closed (51a) on the return loop to Soll now but the lower access to it is still open.

I'm guilty (along with about 20 others) for having missed the closure sign (the wife saw it but carried on in any case) but it wasn't a lack of snow, more a steepish 150 metres with big soft mogul like piles of wet snow.

Last day today - Suns out this morning, temparatures dropping this afternoon and they're predicting an few centimetres of new snow tonight.

4.45am departure to look forward to in the morning Shocked
ski holidays
I skied at Fieberbrunn today with fellow Snowhead espri. Car park was already half full when we arrived at 8:30, but the slopes were relatively empty (where did everyone go?). The snow was in fantastic condition before 12:00, after which the lower slopes were getting soft - but higher up it was still good. Piste 1c (through the trees) was great fun, but the snow was thin in places.

Most forecasts have lower temperatures and new snow for most days next week. Can't wait!
latest report
Snow was good above middle stations at Soll, Scheffau, Ellmau and Going until about 2.30pm

Stayed above the middle throughout and had a brilliant day's skiing.

Getting colder now and I understand there's some snow due tonight and more in Monday.

That's us done for another year Cool
snow report
This is useful info as I'm off to St Johann tomorrow and fancy touring around the area.
Where abouts did you find the best piste conditions?

Good to hear temperatures are due to drop. A couple of threads I've been using show rain on Sunday.
snow report
http://www.bergfex.com/stjohann-tirol/wetter/prognose/#2

tend to find Bergfex as good as any
snow report
@EdYarker, Probably rain in the valley on Sunday, snow on the mountain. Apart from a few south facing slopes that have caught a lot of sun this last week, conditions everywhere are good. If you want to tour around the area, a good option is to get the (free) train to the Kitzbuhel Hahnenkamm station, ski across to Skirast (bottom of the Pengelstein gondola) and take the 5 minute bus ride to Ki-West. You can then ski across the Westendorf area and get the gondola in Brixen to the main part of the Skiwelt. Depending on how early you arrive there you can either mooch around the Skiwelt - or just head for Ellmau. At the end of the day ski across the Ellmau car park (yes, there is a track) and take the lift up to above Going, but ski back to Ellmau village. You can have a drink at the Pub Memory (quiet) or Pub 66 (noisy) while waiting for the bus back to St Johann (there's one around 5pm). Oh, you need the AllStarCard pass for this route - but it's great value.

There's more detail on this route on the last few pages of my ski guide, that you can download free from www.austriaskiguide.com.

If you have any specific questions about the area please ask.
snow conditions
Some pictures from Fieberbrunn today.

Whenever I ski with espri I always end up somewhere I feel I'm not supposed to be. We managed it twice today... Very Happy

snow report
Thanks Johnbarr, that's really whetted the appetite.
The day around Kitz and SkiWelt looks great. Not sure the OH will have the legs for it though, but the Allstar pass looks like the way forward.

Glad conditions are good. If a forecast says rain, do you think the chances are that this is only referring to village level?
snow report
@EdYarker, this forecast shows the freezing level, with temperature at the top and at the village level. http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/St-Johann-in-Tirol/6day/mid
ski holidays
Ok, Thanks for that. Really doesn't look good for Sunday.

Fingers crossed is gets a bit colder, or that those shows are very few and far between.
Maybe we should head to Kitzbuhel or somewhere a bit further afield where the peaks are a little higher.

Thanks once again for your help.
snow conditions
See if this one cheers you up any
http://www.bergfex.com/stjohann-tirol/wetter/prognose/
Snowline will be 300m lower than the freezing level (as a rule of thumb)

We've skied rain sodden pistes in Schladming and they can be quite good fun, not as bad as you think.
snow report
Piste conditions pretty good today in Kitzbuhel, Kirchberg and Jochberg - all the way from top to bottom. Off-piste mostly tracked. The weather was sunny and warm, April-like. Some very light snow late afternoon on the slopes as the clouds came over. Rain and sleet down town this evening - hopefully snowing up top. Tomorrow should be good again @Camcap.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great. I think I'll head to Bergfex's version of St Johann! Interesting about the rule of thumb about snow fallen 300 m below freeze line. That also makes things a bit better. I would persavere if it did start to rain. More worried about getting soaking wet on the lifts than the piste conditions really.

Certainly keen to gives Kitz a day if conditions are nice as you say.

Thanks again
snow report
The rain expected on Sunday moved to Monday. It rained quite hard this morning at village level, and even some way up the mountain. The temperate is now dropping and wet snow falling in the valley, with temperatures higher up (reported by the Feratel cameras) varying from zero to minus 7. The rest of the week looks to be cold and snowy. But the best news is - half term is over and the crowds have gone home!
snow report
Heavy rain at village level in westendorf yesterday which eventually turned to snow in the afternoon. Tough going for a while and the pistes held up so should be good today.
overall conditions are good, better than I expected after the two weeks of sun.
snow report
I skied in Waidring with esprithis morning. What had fallen as rain in Westendorf fell as slightly stodgy snow on the mountain here. There was lots of fresh snow, but it certainly wasn't fluffy powder. This was a view down the blue run across the border into Germany.

By lunch time clouds were forming and it looked as if snow was on its way, but by mid-afternoon we had bright blue skies again.

snow report
Dumping in westendorf all night last night and all day today. Vis poor but it was very enjoyable with loads of fresh snow everywhere, tomorrow is forecast clear and sunny, it's going to be great Very Happy
ski holidays
It snowed yesterday, and a little this morning, but otherwise we've had tons of blue sky and sunshine to go with great pistes this week. Here are some pictures from the last few days...

Kitzbühel

Waidring

Saalbach Hinterglemm
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy