Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Outgrowing Salomon T3's - where next?

Poster: A snowHead
My youngest is 12 years old and a size 8 adult boot. He is a ski the whole mountain skier and likes to go fairly fast. He is still outgrowing ski boots at an alarming rate and I don't really want to spend hundreds putting him in really decent boots until his feet stop growing. He has been in Salomon T3's for most of his ski life, but this year is going to need a Mondo 27/27.5 - UK size 8 and I am not sure how big the T3's go. The thing is he doesn't weigh much for his height, and I don't think he needs an adult boot yet, can someone please advise on what sort of boots they have put big footed kids into at this sort of size range? Cheers

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 14-09-14 18:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, Nordica dobermann teams go quite large, up to uk 8.5

Variety of flexes 60. 70 and 80
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carroz, thanks for that, I'll take a look at them. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
carroz, I've been and looked and there are precious few of those for sale - yes, the size looks OK - I've seen a couple of second-hand pairs, but there are that few on the internet, that I wonder if they still make them?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, I don't think this will be that easy. Are you certain his feet are really that big (for ski boots)?

A couple of others which I've just seen go that big Lange RXJ Jr and Salomon X Max LC 65 Jr, if the X Max are like the adult ones they come up big.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Why don't you hire until his feet stop growing?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, I just have always had a preference for his own ski boots - all our party has their own gear and it means a trip to the hire shop for just a single pair - and again no guarantee that even they would be able to offer him a suitable boot in his size.

sarah, thanks, I'll take a look - its these boot names that are useful to me as I have no idea what the kids/youths ranges are called and without that knowledge it is difficult to Google for them. Yes, his feet really are that big - he is into an UK 8-8.5 Clarks shoes - I've got ski boots that fit my wide UK 7-7.5 size foot and he is very uncomfortably tight in even those so I see the next size up as the next logical progression, but there isn't much of him to power a set of adult boots yet. Big footed heffalumps of kids don't seem to be well catered for in the ski boot world esp. when, without asking, I don't know what to look for!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 14-09-14 18:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, have a look here

http://www.sport-conrad.com/ski_boots_for_kids/35/

http://www.ekosport.co.uk/liste.asp?id_rayon=195&promo=0&nouveau=0&id_marque=%200&id_vente_flash=&id_theme=0&id_operation=0&back=0&id_pointure_mondopoint_recherche=13
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sarah, Sport Conrad are looking good and the right sort of price. I see them recommended fairly often on SH's so I don't suppose there are any problems in buying from them?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, I've not bought from them but I would from reviews on here.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The postage will add around another 20 Euros, but that still puts their boots at a reasonable price. I think I'll go for the Salomons - he has been fine in a Salomon last up until now and I think I shall be more confident of them fitting OK if I stick with the same manufacturer. Apparently the Salomon lasts are fairly wide, but not quite as wide as the Head ones.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, They still make them, just not that easy to get. last is quite narrow however.

Conrad are excellent
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carroz, Very Happy Thanks for the vote for Conrad - I always think it is possible to hang a question mark over something sent from a foreign country esp. with the possibility of customs charges (which I have been stung with a couple of times previously). We not only have big feet here, we are also a wide hoofed mob too, so maybe a boot known to be on the narrow side might not be ideal. I might see if I can get a try on some Salomons in this country before we buy them actually - it might be possible and seems a good thing to try.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, there's no customs/import charges when buying from within the EU.

Every boot manufacturer produces a number of different last widths/volumes/shapes etc so it's incorrect to assume that a particular brand has a particular feature throughout their range, ie all Head boots are wide etc. The manufacturers quote their last widths based upon a size 27 mondo (well in for adult boots, not sure about kids sizes) but that width will reduce/increase as the sizes reduce/increase. And has CEM has written here many times, it's more important to get a tight heel fit first then the width can be tweaked to suit.

Mondo sizes in theory should be consistent from one maker to another but in reality they vary from maker to maker just like street shoe sizes & the charts that convert mondo sizes to shoe sizes are often incorrect. I'm a UK 8.5/EU 43 & every alpine boot I've had has been a 26 mondo so I'd caution that a 27 could be too big.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, We also have trouble with ski gear for our now 14yr old son who is 6ft 2 and size11.5 feet and is a lightweight. We have used Sport Conrad and found the delivery and service perfect. We got skis from them as they went up to 160cm in a junior range which were great and lightweight enough when he was 12/13yrs( but now about to be sold )

His current ski boots which are Head we got from Decathlon...It might be a dirty word round here but for £65 he got to try a few different pairs on and I looked for ones from the leisure range which seemed to be more lightweight and flexible, he has had 2/3 trouble free weeks out of them last season and because the inners have compacted slightly I think I will get this season as well and he says they are much better than hire boots.
Then they will go on gumtree for £20/£30!!

I agree at that age they just keep growing especially just after you've bought new uniform/clothes etc so while I take a trip to Bicester for my boots I'm not paying £££ for his ski gear especially as I know (hope!!) his sister will never fit into his size 11.5 boots.
latest report
Megamum, I'm UK/US 9/10 and I measure a true Mondo 27.5. Stick the wee snotminer's foot against a wall, mark the vertical tip of his longest toe on the floor and measure in mm from the wall, that'll give you his true Mondo. Shape, width etc. are for a conversation with CEM but 27.5 is my boot size without rubbing or much mucking about with. Agree that Decathlon is a good place to start.
ski holidays
Thanks all, I've been away for a few days and didn't get back to see where this had gone. At the moment I'm still looking - don't really need them until next Feb. However, Decathlon might well be worth a look, I don't tend to think about them as I don't have access to one and had clean forgotten to consider them - I might be able to visit one when we are in Manchester (unfortunately where we are is about as far from a local Decathlon as it is possible to get, but when we are Manchester there is one about 15 mins away Very Happy ). Decathlon is the sort of place where he could try on a few pairs without me feeling under so much obligation to part with ultra many £££. I like to slide in under £100 and pref. under £80 for boots that are just going to be outgrown within 12 months. I have been really lucky in the past, I've had end of lines, really v.good second-hand and the like, and he has been happy and comfortable with the fit of them. I just need to pull another cat out of the bag this year.

Masque, If that is how to get the Mondo size then I'll take a measure - thanks for the tip.

muppet, I think I will end up feeling your pain. My one has not deviated one iota from the 2nd from top centile growth line since he was young enough to be on that page in his growth book that they give you when they are born. Assuming that he doesn't deviate this also puts him at 6'2" by the time he is 18 years old and judging my the other tall men in his pedigree he seem likely to go to an 11 or 12 shoe by then rolling eyes

I'm not so bad with his sister, she is now 14 and has gone to a UK 7-7.5, this puts her my shoe size and I suspect that this is where she will stay - I didn't increase much from around 14 years. She might also need a new pair for February, but if her feet don't change before then I'll bite the bullet and get Skee-tex to sort her a properly fitted set that hopefully will last many years. Though they might still need to be a bit of a compromise for a while as she again doesn't have the weight to power a full blown adult set.

spyderjon, I've already noticed the difference in the Mondo sizes over the different manufacturers - I found a web-site that had several makers size charts on and, as you mention, I noticed that a 27.5 in one make is only a UK 8 or so, but in a different make, and it may have been Salomon, the same mondo was a UK size 9 - which may be on the large side - this made me hesitate to buy online again if I wasn't getting another T3 set. The T3's have been excellent each year I just incremented a Mondo point and they fitted. It is very useful to know that customs charges won't apply to purchases made in the EU - that is something I didn't know. Very Happy That variation you note - in length with width is something I have seen in adult shoes. I once went to a shoe store, and when they sold me a larger width they actually fitted me into a size 4!!!! rather than a UK 7 - which someone astounded me. Mind you it also seems to be the case with Bra's too - a B cup in a 38 chest is actually a C cup in a 36 chest and a A cup in a 40 chest - I don't know why I expected ski boots to be any different Laughing Laughing

Mind you there does seem to be a hole in the ski boot market for teens (and not just limited to those crossed with the genes for elephant feet) that doesn't seem as well covered as other age groups, which seems surprising given that there must be similar numbers of kids skiing at each age range.
snow conditions
Megamum, if your paying £80 for a new pair for one season, I really can't see why you wouldn't just rent for a quarter of the price??

I've never bought boots for my kids, my eldest has weird feet and the shop has always got a pair that suited her, occasionally we've had return trips but not that much hassle.
latest report
kitenski, Up until this year I haven't really had a problem, what has fitted one has then fitted the other and we have had a good number of weeks out of some pairs which has more than outweighed the cost of buying. This year things have flipped and I no longer think my daughter's feet will grow any more and her brother has overtaken her. At the moment I don't quite know what to do. I am still tempted to buy, just so he doesn't end up with his feet in something that has had dozens of pairs of feet in, but if I can't get a pair at the right sort of price mark, then I guess I will go the hire route. However, I doubt that I can rent for £20 - I last rented in Switzerland a good number of years ago and IIRC it worked out about £40-£50 per week.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy