Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Useful Phrases In A Foreign Language

Poster: A snowHead
What phrases in a non-english language can you come up with (either skiing or non-skiing related) that could be useful when out on the pistes this winter?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Deux serieux s'il vous plait
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Où est la neige?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH

wink Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is a useful translation service provided here
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Always apologise in French.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
(Je suis désolé)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
T-Dub wrote:
Always apologise in French.
Even in Italy and Austria?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ever noticed how easy it is to speak dutch after a couple of pints? You go to the bar, catch the barman's eye and "Two beers please" comes out as "Do beeersh pleesh"...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Babelfish is useful in translating - up to a point anyway - babelfish
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is my aunt's pen.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If I'm in Germany and trying to find out someone's name, if their English is poor I try;

"Vot eez yoor name?"

Works for me.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"Tu resemble un boite aux lettres" wink or "Je suis TRES TRES TRES desolee" - cue icy glare from a 60 year old francais grand-mere after you accidently stood on her ski in a chair lift queue....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bonjour! (plus smile). Works wonders. Never, ever, march into a French bar and order your drinks without it (unless it's a Meribel bar staffed by gap year muppets who haven't learnt the French for beer yet).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tres bien cuit. the only way to get meat cooked in a French mountain restaurant. Ignore the glares from behind the counter Very Happy
snow report
" Un Demi", might cut the price of your beer in half too. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
CP, Even in Italy and Austria?

Especially in Italy and Austria.
snow report
"Tres bien cuit", could be the perfect description of how many French picture the Brit on holiday, pint glass in hand wink
ski holidays
PG,
Quote:

"Tres bien cuit", could be the perfect description of how many French picture the Brit on holiday, pint glass in hand

Agreed, do you have a better phrase for getting meat cooked through for me pl ?. I really hate it with raw bits. I was served a beefburger in the Peisey self service and it was completely raw inside Shocked
snow conditions
"What COLOR is that run?"

Zee, not Zed

Restroom, not toilet.

After that, it's plain sailing! Laughing
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Restroom, not toilet.
Why do some countries use the term restroom rather than a less euphemistic word? Is it some sort of racial lazyness whereby they need to go and have snooze in private every so often? By contrast we British are active and so use the smallest room for its proper purpose and get out and get going again as quickly as possible.
snow conditions
After looking after our transatlantic visitors for the last 30+ years. I still want to get a photograph out when they ask for a 'Pitcher of Worter' to go with their meal. "Sorry we don't have a picture of water will a photo do?" Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Adrian, no, we go to the "bathroom"...
snow conditions
Our night class teacher told us there's no word in the Italian language for "hangover". According to her (she's Sicilian) , only British people get hangovers as they they drink too much! Can anyone shed light on if there is such a word in Italian?
snow conditions
Useful things to say in an Austrian Resort:

"Oan Jagatee bittschön" : "One pot of hot alcohol please"

"Herrgottsacra steigst jetzt von meim schi oba?" : "Goddamnit, are you going to get off my skis now" (helps with lift queue problems)

"Schau doch wo das't hinfährst, Arschloch" : "Look where you're going, asshole"

"Zwa Stamperl Schnapps und zwa Weissbier ah no bittschön" : "Two shorts (schnapps) and a couple of beers as well please"

"Wenn Dummheit schmerzhaft war, dann wurds't du aber ständig schreia" : "If stupidity was painful then you would scream constantly"

"Habe die Ehre" : "The honour is entirely mine"
snow report
snowbunny, très bien cuit should do the trick, though there's never any guarantee the message will get through!
snow conditions
PG,
Quote:

snowbunny, très bien cuit should do the trick, though there's never any guarantee the message will get through!

Very Happy I will try and emphasise it, and hope it works! Very Happy
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Adrian, no, we go to the "bathroom"...
Sometimes true, but surely only when there is actually a bath in the room, in which case the word "bathroom" is quite valid. Do "restrooms" have special comfy thrones where snoozing is easy, or just the normal hard wood or plastic seats?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maybe it refers to a large percentage of people in that country needing to sit at the toilet for long periods, for one reason or another... Shocked
snow conditions
Adrian, All words for the room in which we excrete are euphemisms. Any that were not would be picked off by the net nanny.

For example, lavatory is from the Latin lavabo meaning I wash. Toilet also means washing. As for WC.....
snow report
Chris Bish, OK so what about the word 'loo' then?
snow report
Without inside knowledge, WC sounds like it could refer to a cupboard with your boiler in...
snow report
I was taught that you only need two phrases in any foreign language. The first is the translation for "How much?". The second is "it's my friend who's paying."
snow report
Isn't WC short for Water Closet. And let's not forget the flushing bogs made by the wonderfully named Thomas Crapper but not apparently invented by him.
http://www2.exnet.com/1995/11/01/science/science.html
ski holidays
Ian - I always thought Tommy had the word named after him, it sounds like you think it was the other way around Toofy Grin
snow report
PG, snowbunny, But when I order my steak to be 'Bleu' snowHead - I get the response 'Vraiment bleu ? - Vous est Anglais ?' rolling eyes

(sorry for the spelling)
snow report
kuwait_ian wrote:
Isn't WC short for Water Closet.

Once charmingly referred to by the French (don't hear it much these days) as les "Waters" (pronounced 'Wattair')...
Quote:
Oo son lay wattair seal voo play?

But definitely better to stick to:
Quote:
Oo son lay Vay Say seal voo play?
or
Quote:
Oo son lay twalett seal voo play?
ski holidays
However if you fail to get your message across with the above, you may have to resort to:
Quote:

Ooo la la ! jay fay peepee don ma queue lot!
latest report
geetee, Most likely etymology for loo is from "gardez! l'eau!" Or watch out for the water! I rest my case. Euphemism is the only possibilty when seeing a man about a dog.

snowHead
latest report
az én -m légpárnás hajó van teli -ból angolnák
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy