Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Circus/maria alm non skier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My 15 year is just after making it back to fitness after having a repair done to his ACL and playing his first match has torn his other ACL. Having surgery to graft on 17th October, we have family ski trip booked for New Year so unfortunately no skiing for my son this year. We usually ski Lofer and Waidring. This year we had planned to ski Saalbach/Leogang and Maybe Maria Alm. Just looking for recommendations for Runs/gondolas that would allow for easy access for my son for us to ski and meet him at a restaurant. Thank you
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

My 15 year is just after making it back to fitness after having a repair done to his ACL and playing his first match has torn his other ACL.

Sad Sad Sad you must all be really fed up about that.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am just disappointed for him, he worked so hard all summer on his physio to get back to fitness, it is heart breaking to see him so down over this but once he comes to terms with it and will realise that it is repairable and he will recover from it, could be so much worse but that doesn't make it any easier for him to accept.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
2waterford, try a pm to Tatman's Tours - he is resident in Saalbach for the winter season and has an amazing knowledge of the area - probably just the sort of resource you're looking for. I'd be confident he'd be able to come up with some excellent ideas.

From what I recall, a bus trip on the road out of Saalbach, away from Hinterglemm, to one of the outlying lift stations certainly provides uplift access to several restaurants . Vorderglemm rings a bell - the Schonleiten lift?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
2waterford, Tough luck with the injury - but fortunately Saalbach-Hinterglemm is actually a very easy resort for non-skiers to meet up with skiers. Your son can have a non-skiers 'Sonnenkarte' which allows him 2 ascending lift journeys a day (riding down is free) - if he was born in 1999 or later, this only costs €37.50. Take ID with you to purchase.

All of the main lifts out of the villages are gondolas, and these take you up to eight main areas:

Schattberg (Saalbach) - a few nice blues and reds, as well as the black back down to Saalbach. The Sky Restaurant is at the top - good local food at reasonable prices. Sun terrace where son can watch people falling off at the top of the Limberg chairlift.

Kohlmais (Saalbach) - mainly blues and reds on the sunny side of the valley. There are two restaurants (Asteralm and Ederalm) at the mid-station, if he can walk a few hundred metres. There is no restaurant at the top station - but there is a great picnic area and a viewing platform on top of the lift station if you get a clear sunny day.

Schonleiten (Saalbach) - this is at the far end of the Kohlmais/Panorama area and there is a gondola here too. Son needs to take the free ski bus to Jausern (5 minutes) and then the gondola, and you can meet him at the Wildenkarhutte at the top station, or the Rachkuchl at the mid-station.

Bernkogel (Saalbach) - the lift is near the top of the pedestrian street, behind Hotel Peter and the SkiPro shop. Gondola takes you up to the Barnalm restaurant. This area is fairly small and easy for skiing - just a couple of easy blues.

Reiterkogel (Hinterglemm) - if you are staying in Saalbach, then you'll need to take the free skibus to all of the Hinterglemm lifts. It takes less than 10 minutes from the centre of Saalbach to Hinterglemm. If you have a car, there is parking by all of the lifts - get your parking ticket endorsed at the lift ticket office before you ride up to get free parking. At the top of the Reiterkogel gondola are two restaurants; Sportalm and Wiesealm. Lots of easy blues/reds on this side of the valley.

Hochalm (Hinterglemm) - at the end of the valley, 5 minutes past Hinterglemm on the skibus. Son can ride up on the gondola and you can either take the same route, or ski across from Reiterkogel (or indeed from Bernkogel in Saalbach if you keep going anti-clockwise around the circuit). 2 restaurants here as well, and 2 chair lifts to take the skiers to a really nice area with some good challenging slopes and fantastic views.

Zwolfer (Hinterglemm) - on the opposite, shaded side of the valley. Lift is in the centre of the village. There is a restaurant at the mid-station and a snack/drinks bar at the top station. Variety of skiing, including the run for the forthcoming World Cup.

Westgipfel (Hinterglemm) - just along from the Zwolfer (but a bit of a walk if son is crocked). This is also a skiing route back from Hinterglemm to Saalbach, via Schattberg. As usual, a nice restaurant at the top and one at the mid-station. From the top, you can ski back down to Hinterglemm, or across to do the same runs as on Schattberg.

All of these areas are linked (for skiers) so you can do the circuit in either direction and meet your son wherever is convenient. All of the lift stations have free Wi-Fi.

Leogang - Unless you have a car, your son won't be able to get to Leogang. But if you have your own transport, if one person drives him over to Leogang (it can take 45 mins) then the others can ski over (via Kohlmais/Schonleiten/Asitz). The Asitz gondola and the brand new Steinbergbahn gondola, both in Leogang, meet at the top of Asitz, where there are two very popular restaurants (Alte Schmiede and Asitzbrau) and the world famous Chicken Man (if his shack has not been cleared away to make room for the new gondola).

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 11-09-14 18:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank You Quinton for such a detailed reply. Schattberg looks very promising for our family and I see it has a Wifi hotspot which is very important for a non skiing 15 year old.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
2waterford, You are welcome. There are Wi-Fi hotspots at all of the lifts and most of the restaurants on this list.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy