Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help Needed Trip February/March 2015 5/6 lads

Poster: A snowHead
Hello lads/ladies

I am organising a trip for 6 persons for 5-7 nights end of feb- or march, all six are lads 30 yr olds, going to use airports geneva or zurich or salzburg,,,,looking for beginners - intermediates resort, lively resort, good apres ski and not too expensive. have done the mid range to upmarket fully catered chalets in france last few years with the girlfriends. open to options catered/ non catered.... will austria work out cheaper? will be needing to rent gear, ski school and passes too. geneva is cheapest to fly into but i wouldn't mind heading back to austria for a few nice beers and apres ski, we are not clubbers...lively bars with good fn and good beer.!!! value for money is what we are after but still we want a happy medium

thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Austria would indeed work out cheaper than France and would be my recommendation if you are looking for value for money.

The easiest option to sort out beginners' kit, lessons etc would be to book a mainstream tour operator package, though DIY is perfectly feasible if you are prepared to do some legwork. You could do worse than look at:

- Mayrhofen
- Solden
- Obertauern

If you decide to go for France, somewhere like Les 2 Alpes, Alpe D'Huez, Les Arcs or La Plagne could fit the bill. Plus Serre Chevalier and Montgenevre would be decent, depending on where you fly to - both can be easily reached from Turin/Milan.

Or Italy is reasonably priced and has suitable places for your group - eg Courmayeur, Cervinia, Sauze D'Oulx.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you do go to France try to avoid the main school holiday period which, this season, is from 7th February to 7th March. It is busy and accommodation is expensive.
The following week is usually less busy and the accommodation a lot cheaper although last year we seemed to have a mad rush of childless people arriving the weekend the school holidays finished so maybe not as quiet as you would expect.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think flying to Turin and going to Courmayeur would be a good option for your group. I went there with a group of friends once and we had a great time. There are some good 3 star hotels there. It is too long since my trip to make a specific recommendation. The skiing is more intermediate than beginners but there are a couple of nice blues. You may find yourselves drinking grappa rather than beer though!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Would mayrhofen and solden be snow sure first week of march or is that a silly qtn....or is france safer? for nice bars and good apres what do you guys reccommend? any one been to kirchberg? yay or nay? will be flying from ireland also which hinders flights
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kirchberg -

Amazing and overlooked ski area, lots of sparkly new lifts with few queues, hammenkahm gondola used to be busy on holiday time.mornings and weekends, probably similar with the kirchberg bubbles, but always cleared by 09.30. Lots of mountain bars around, most start to pick up the cheesy music and jager bottles around 3pm, then a gentle meander into town to find which bar is busiest that night.

Easy transport links to Salzburg or Innsbruck. If Kitzbuhel is offered, go for it, its shaken off the Glitzbuhel image, solid nightlife without being 'clubby'.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cheers matteevan90....so real lively apres in kberg then? Or would you go kbull? any ideas on accommodation?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Depends on the definition of lively. You won't find hordes of students vomiting in the street a la mayrhofen/Anton, it's a bit steadier. The Londoner in Kitzbuhel is always a good shout, at most times of the night, live music, good staff, beers at 4 euro (but remember the smoking ban doesn't extend to inside most Austrian bars).

Flannigans, typical Irish bar, some live music, monday nights used to be frog on the Tyne, Geordie and his French wife, awesome duo, with Geordie guitarist venturing from an acoustic, to an electric, to riding a double bass. Requests accepted, and most fulfilled.

Only did Kirchberg once, at the end of a mountainwide drinking based challenge day, so I'm a bit hazy on the locations. I remember somewhere busy. It had a DJ. They didn't like me drinking my own red bull. Notmuch else.

Accom might have changed since I worked there, very few major TO's offering a full package with the UK staff running the property. Most deals are for a rep service within an Austrian owned, owner operated property, there's a degree of uncertainty with these, but trip advisor is your friend.

From personal experience, go Kitz, its easy to go either way for pass thurn across the 3s, or over to kirch for the autobahn blue to the bubble stations. Also has the kitzbuhler horn, worth half a day for an explore.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ok cool kitzbuhel not too expensive? basically we are atter a good resort....nice village, nice bars lively apres. we are not teenagers either so nightclubs are not necessary and we are all around the 30 mark. dont wan to be paying over the odds either
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimel, As beginners and intermediates, you can choose almost anywhere in Austria, although I'd personally not go to St Anton (there are better places for beginners and it's pricey), Kaprun (great glacier skiing but boring village) or Kitzbuhel (nothing like as cosy and friendly as smaller villages, and pricier than most places). Surely 6 guys are bound to have a great time as long as there is snow, beer and people.

If you fly to Salzburg, you are spoiled for choice with plenty of resorts within 90 mins.: Flachau, Wagrain, Kleinarl, Radstadt, Altenmarkt, Zauchensee, Eben/Filzmoos, Bad Gastein, Bad Hofgastein, Dorfgastein, Zell am See, Saalbach/Hinterglemm, Rauris, Leogang, Maria Alm, Schladming, Obertauern etc are all villages that make their living from ski tourism and are experts at providing it. You won't find them all on UK Tour Operator sites, but you can easily DIY. Flight to Salzburg, minibus transfer to your resort (there is a list of transfer companies here > http://www.salzburg-airport.com/en/passengers-visitors/arrival-parking/bus-train-taxi/taxi-transfer-service/ ) and then an apartment, B&B or Pension/Hotel in the village (see the local Tourist Office websites, Booking.com, Homeaway.com etc for options).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kitzbuhel is a year round working town and in some ways it can show, but it is still very picturesque at night, I didn't find it expensive, and this was on a typical chalet chef wage, especially compared to the bigger French domains.

Ski a made region as suggested above is also a good shout, I've only stayed in St Johann im pongau, which involves a bus ride up to alpendorf to set off round the area. Bar tenne was always rammed and had a steady mix of lively groups, then catch the last bus back into town. Mamasitas Mexican bar and restaurant did offer a half board deal, great food every night, typical Mexican fare, unlimited ribs, and the cosiest but busiest bar in town.

Lots of suggestions, as there always are, but it seems like Austria is going to suit your requirements more than others.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimel Mayrhofen has loads of high altitude skiing up and down the valley (including Hintertux Glacier) so yes, snowsure. Solden has two glaciers and a lot of high altitude slopes - so ditto.

On the other hand, Kitzbuhel/Kirchberg is relatively low and may be more of a gamble, depending of course on how late you go.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hi mountainaddict its looking like 28th of february we will be travelling
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimel, I'd suggest Saalbach/Hinterglemm.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
will saalbach be ok snow wise first week of march....and will there be snow around the village
ski holidays
First week of March isn't that early and there certainly should be plenty of snow at village level.

Of course there are no guarantees, last season that part of Austria really struggled, but that was out of the ordinary.

If you want to gurantee snow you could head somewhere higher like Obertauern (or St Anton or Ischgl, but they are both a bit more pricey).

The Men's World Cup Downhill and Super G take place in Saalbach the weekend before.

http://skiweltcup.saalbach.com/en/
snow report
Quote:

will saalbach be ok snow wise first week of march....and will there be snow around the village

There has been ample snow the last 10 seasons (even last year, which was the sketchiest for 20 years), so I'd say 99% chance of there being plenty of snow this season too. Saalbach village is at 1000m, but you take lifts up to the main skiing areas that start at 1500m and are well-served by snow making.
snow conditions
Mayrhofen will tick all of your boxes. Good accommodation at all price points, ski hire and ski schools well priced and a good fun resort.
snow conditions
You could also consider Zell Am See. The resort is a little low - altitude but in the ski pass is also Kaprun Glacier included. So you will definitely can skiing whatever the weather - snow conditions.
Same for Mayrhofen (Hintertux Glacier) or Sölden.

However usually late Feb. is a very good time for skiing in Austria. Maybe some low alt. slopes dont have the pefect snow quality but usually there is not a problem at all. Only if the Winter is a little bit strange but that is a rarely ocassion.
The options are so many...choose your filights and then you could decided where to go.
latest report
skimel,
Saalbach, great skiing for your party,
great early apres
don't know about late apres (too knackered most nights!), suspect its just as good

cheers, Geoff.
latest report
We have done boys trip to Mayrhofen 7 or 8 times, done one to St Anton, 5 to Sauze and one to Soelden. Going back to Soelden this year as we enjoyed our first visit last year. Mayrhofen is however our favourite and we will be returning in 2016. And I will be there at New Year this year. Huge skiing area as pass covers all of valley, freee train, a glacier if snow conditions aren't great (although they always are, pretty much) good apres and decent hotels and restaurants. What's not to like? Certianly for 5-7 dyas I would sya it beats Soelden hands down, for our 3 days skiing Soelden made a change.

St Anton was great but expensive.

Suaze was good fun but snow conditions variable.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy