Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis gauged against height, with or without boots?

Poster: A snowHead
When skis are being gauged against ones height, is with or without boots on?

Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd go for with street shoes on, unless you've got 6" stilettos Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It doesn't matter. Gauging against height is a blunt instrument at best. Weight matters a lot more. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
^^ that.

If the size guide was scientific, accurate and well designed it would tell you exactly how to take the measurement. None do, because a few cm either way doesn't matter.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
capability, how would the skis know how tall you are?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I thought you just pick the ones that's looked nicest and coordinated with the new season jacket ...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I recommend sizing whilst in ski boots to my students.

With the tail of the ski on the floor and the ski standing vertically the tip should be between the chin and nose.

May not work for gorilla and Serriadh but works for my students and me.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
capability, how would the skis know how tall you are?

Well, one could bring up boring subjects like 'moment of inertia' or 'leverage', but instead I suggest you spend a little time skiing some snowblades and report back snowHead

Of course height makes a difference, its just that you don't need to be very precise about it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike Pow, I'm not saying it doesn't work - clearly it does otherwise people wouldn't do it. I'm just not sure that sweating the details of a rule of thumb - especially if you aren't messing about with other aspects of gear set up that might be more important - is worth the headspace.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Approx. 5-8 cm between chin and nose on most people, which takes care of the differences in sizing for most manufacturers.

In my experience there are still way too many people skiing skis which are too long for their height and ability.

The marketers are very persuasive though Smile

And agree that skis are part of the gear thought process not the only consideration.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Serriadh, but surely you'd need then to adjust for weight distribution as well?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
limegreen1, THIS Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://ski-calculator.com/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dulcamara, I find that a bit rubbish tbh. Suggests I should be on 160cms for "all mountain" (I prefer 175-180) and the race setting only produces 165cm. Not really accounting for discipline.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As ever . . . Try before you buy even the same ski in differing lengths can feel remarkably different. I agree with Mike Pow, for learning and general pooting about having fun, tween chin and nose is the starting point. . . . I started on 160 Atomic SX10s . . . Perfect for all but moguls. . . . Still crap on skis in the bumps, quite like them on me board. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
gorilla wrote:
...I'm not saying it doesn't work - clearly it does otherwise people wouldn't do it...
That's poor logic - there are many things which people do or believe in which manifestly do not work.

It's nonsense for snowboarding at least - you need to ride the board in the length it was designed to be ridden for your weight and ability. You can easily design boards of a single length for a range of rider weights - the original Burton Fish was sold that way - giving the lie to the idea that height and board length are related other than through some other factor (rider weight).
ski holidays
capability, This is such a "can of worms" topic.

The right answer is "it's not that easy", but you'd like an answer and anyone who tries will just feed the pedants!
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:

In my experience there are still way too many people skiing skis which are too long for their height and ability.

Funny I'd have said the opposite given the propensity of grown adult males to opt for the second or thurd size down in a given range. Ability point taken though.

Almost everyone seems to shoot short on their furst rockered ski frinstance.
snow conditions
What about weight too?

e.g.

a) In your birthday suit
b) With just clothing
c) With clothing and boots
d) With clothing boots and backpack (& helmet where applicable)
ski holidays
DB wrote:
What about weight too?

e.g.

a) In your birthday suit
b) With just clothing

Bodyweight in relation to the stiffness of the ski?

Bodyweight in relation to width of the ski & flotation?
snow conditions
Fore / aft balance with / without an erection.
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
Fore / aft balance with / without an erection.

Trying new kit would surely be with.

Agree dulcamara's calculator is off. It says 165 for me but I'd say 175 is about right.
That's with an un-rockered skis: perhaps should be more with rockered, if I buy new All Mountain skis? But that might be a problem in a 2m couloir...
ski holidays
DB wrote:
What about weight too?

e.g.

a) In your birthday suit
b) With just clothing

Has to be a, especially in the middle of a ski shop on a Sunday morning Smile
snow report
?piste ski
? Powder ski
? Rocker or no rocker
?park/twin tip
Tip flex tail flex
Tortional stiffness
Turn radius, single dual
Camber
Personal style/preference

Trying to find a rule of thumb that suits all is just nonsense. Try before you buy not only different makes/models but also in different lengths as that can make a massive difference. So with or without boots makes no diffs.
snow report
PP wrote:
?piste ski
? Powder ski
? Rocker or no rocker
?park/twin tip
Tip flex tail flex
Tortional stiffness
Turn radius, single dual
Camber
Personal style/preference

Trying to find a rule of thumb that suits all is just nonsense. Try before you buy not only different makes/models but also in different lengths as that can make a massive difference. So with or without boots makes no diffs.

It may surprise you but 85% (this number comes form the ski manufactures not magazines) of all skis sold are piste type skis - so Mike Pows's recomendation of betwen chin and nose is a good rule of thumb in most cases.
latest report
Idris, Well that is a surprise figure, I have a limited market Sad Sad Toofy Grin
snow conditions
livetoski wrote:
Idris, Well that is a surprise figure, I have a limited market Sad Sad Toofy Grin

But you probably have quite a discerning market Very Happy
latest report
livetoski wrote:

Yebbut take rental stock out of Idris' proprtion and I bet things start to even especially as your punters tend toward quivers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Idris, I can see how that statistic is important to the industry for strategic planning etc. However I don't see how this rule of thumb is relevant to individual skiers decision making process beyond being merely a starting point, and in this context the 1-2 cm of height added by boots imv is probably not material.
latest report
livetoski wrote:

The UK market I belive is quite different to the majority of the skiing world - being the land form which a disproportionaly large number of explorers and mountain conquerors came from in relation to the size of our mountains - we tend to go for things others might not.

If you look at ski sales in Austria, Germany and Italy you son see why 85% of all skis are carvers, these countries buy lots of skis and almost exclusivly for the piste.

A German or Russian on holiday in Chamonix will ski the Valley Blanche on their carving skis while dressed in theri Spyder insulated 2 piece and think thins is normal behaviour - to them it's a mountain with snow on it no diffternt form any other place they might ski.

To a Brit, for starters Chamonix is a place steeped in Mountaineereing legend, the run itself heard of possibly before starting their skiing carreer - they will have searched "ad nauseam" the whole undertaking and will know this is a mountaineering environment and one sholud dress apropriatley, the of course off piste skis Wink

As for ski lenghts, unless you are doing something specific, keep em relatively short, makes life easier .
snow report
Idris wrote:
livetoski wrote:

As for ski lenghts, unless you are doing something specific, keep em relatively short, makes life easier .

A whole lot easier.
latest report
Shorter may be easier in case of a stiffisch, small radius piste ski without camber. But when you pick a ski approppriate to skill level, terrain you are going to ski, snow conditions you will encounter... THan I wouldn't go too short. For me, I'd rather have a longer ski that flexes well than a short stiff one.
snow report
Idris,

I own at least 10 pairs of piste skis and one pair of off-piste skis. So that figure seems about right Happy
latest report
hyperkub wrote:
Idris,

I own at least 10 pairs of piste skis and one pair of off-piste skis. So that figure seems about right Happy

Wait. what? You're a racer not just a rec skier I hope.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy