Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter 2015 - Need help with where to go

Poster: A snowHead
Good evening,

Apologies if I'm asking the same question, I've searched previous topics and my head is about to explode with too much information.

I'm looking to book our first family holiday next year, around April 4th or 5th for a week. We have two boys aged 10 and 7.

Originally I looked at Tignes with Crystalski, they've got 1 week HB at the Hotel Diva, Tignes Val Claret for £2685 plus roughly £900 for lift passes, lessons, ski's etc

Then someone suggested Andorra, looking again we can get a weeks HB at the Hotel Piolets, Soldeu for £1650.

Straight away there's a saving of £1000 but I'm not sure of general snow conditions in Andorra in April, we don't really fancy a catered chalet or a self-catering apartment for our first trip. Being our first time, it might be that the boys don't take to skiing(highly unlikely) so was thinking of a cheaper introduction

Can someone help me and shed some light on the subject

Many thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have done the Tignes, Easter Week and was fantastic. Snowed everyday. Does not always happen like that but it is a VERY snowsure resort. Andorra may or may not be fine depending upon weather. Its much more of a risk. Others to try, Ischgl, Val Thorens, Chamonix, Alp D'Huez, La Plagne, Hintertux.

Cervinia Italy would be a great option. A bit bleak, but fantastic gentle cruisers. Guarantee of good snow and connection to Zermatt. One of the great places for beginner/intermediate skiers in the world.

That time of year is great at Alpe D'huez. It has some very sunny slopes. Great lodging. Easy access. Good food. Highly recommended.

Sierra Nevada Spain is famous for big April snow falls as well.

However, if you have never been to L'Espace Killy, I can not recommend it enough. Absolutely fantastic skiing. every skier must visit at least once in there life.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would not recommend Chamonix for a first ever ski holiday. Especially in April. mjh1972, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Don't be put off a catered chalet - they can make for good family holidays especially if there are other families with similar aged children.

If none of you has ever skied before it might be worth looking at some of the specifically "family friendly" ski companies who will help with getting kids to (and from) lessons and set up entertainment for them too. It's not that easy without some assistance.

Do try to find accommodation which is VERY NEAR the ski school meeting place. Carrying your own skis and clomping a short distance in ski boots is hard work. Helping kids and having to get you all on and off buses, or to walk a long way - no fun at all.

There's plenty of time - do lots of research and read all the (probably conflicting!) advice you'll get here before making any decisions.

If the budget allows, having an introductory lesson or two at one of the indoor snowdomes will make the first days of your holiday a lot more fun.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Many thanks for your replies.

Just priced up La Plagne, HB is £2596 with a 300 euro credit within the hotel. I'm searching with Crystalski as they have quite a few Free child places for that time of year.

If there was more of us going, I'd definitely stay in a chalet. My previous experience of a chalet is I felta bit claustrophobic if your stuck with people who you dislike. The idea of a hotel being you can go to the bar and be anti-social
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another option would be to book the flights now, roughly £300 return, for all 4 of us to Geneva and wait to see where the snow is good.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There,s a lot to be said for that mjh1972. There,ll be plenty of choice and you won,t be restricted to the TO offerings. Sorry, my previous post assumed this would be your first ski holiday, obviously not.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Apologies, I didn't make myself clear. I use to go years ago and absolutely loved it, so now looking to take the family.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mjh1972, if your looking at the Terra Nova in La Plagne, I would avoid it, we stayed there in 2013, and had probably the worst food in a hotel, particularly when Crystal class it as a 4*. It's not, it's an OK 3* accommodation wise, food wise I couldn't rate it it was so poor, they also had a problem with winter flu the week before we were there, which ran on for 3 further weeks, half way through our week, notices were posted advising of the problem, and that the self service for the buffet would be done by the staff, why it took 4 days to do this when they knew there was a problem baffles me, check out trip advisor reviews for it. We have use the Crystal free kids places to other resorts which were fine, I really miss Le Totem in Flaine, they no longer have it in their schedule, try looking at the free places in other accommodation, the free places are based on their using their own charter flights.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Many thanks for your help, it looks like we're going for the Hotel Diva in Tignes Val Claret.

It's got good write up's on trip advisor and a great location.

Would you consider flying to Chambery for an extra £70 instead of Geneva (2.5hr transfer instead of 4hrs from Geneva, not sure if that's right)

I'll be booking with Crystalski and looking at the extra's, it looks to be a better choice to book lessons etc separately:

For ski hire etc, i'm looking at Ski republic which looks to be a few doors down from the hotel
Lessons for the kids(Aged 10 & 7, total beginners), I'm looking to book with Evoulution2 (again, good reports on this site)
And finally, booking the family ski pass at a total of €832 for Espace Killy or €704 for Tignes, which would you recommend for beginners?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mjh1972, on the transfer options, depends how well you kids travel? I'll always pay extra for shorter transfers due to travel sickness issues.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is Geneva really 4 hours, a couple of websites are say 3 hours with Chambery being 2.5 hours
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Is Geneva really 4 hours, a couple of websites are say 3 hours with Chambery being 2.5 hours

it all depends. In my own car, 3 hours would be normal, except on very busy Saturdays and Easter could be fairly busy in Tignes. But TOs doing transfers are going to allow time for loading up the coach, a few people going to the loo at the last moment (and maybe allowing for loo stops en route too) and general faffing. With a TO I'd expect it to take 4 hours door to door, be pleasantly surprised if it was less and not too hacked off it was a bit more.

No, I wouldn't pay extra to fly to Chambery. It's a small airport and very unreliable in bad weather. The minor time saving isn't worth the risk of being diverted to Lyon.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, you also forgot the 30mins weighting in a car park for the change of driver as your original driver had reached the limit on number of hours (ok that has only happened to me once but still)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickyJ, yes, that's another one. And, of course, your accommodation/area will be the last on the route.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I can't speak for the hotel but Tignes val claret is our favourite. We have been at Easter and half term. Ski republic were great and managed changes in kit really well (and didn't charge us extra when we swapped to better kit). They are in the main shopping bit and an easy walk. I can also recommend evolution 2. At Easter there were only five in the kids group, we didn't book before hand and they were flexible with the numbe of days etc. the kids needed the full ek pass by day 3 and they had only done 2 hours on a dry slope beforehand. I would suggest talking to the instructor as they will tell you which passes needed. You'll have a blast!
latest report
I can't speak for the hotel but Tignes val claret is our favourite. We have been at Easter and half term. Ski republic were great and managed changes in kit really well (and didn't charge us extra when we swapped to better kit). They are in the main shopping bit and an easy walk. I can also recommend evolution 2. At Easter there were only five in the kids group, we didn't book before hand and they were flexible with the numbe of days etc. the kids needed the full ek pass by day 3 and they had only done 2 hours on a dry slope beforehand. I would suggest talking to the instructor as they will tell you which passes needed. You'll have a blast!
latest report
Quote:

I can also recommend evolution 2

I've only done a few days with Evolution 2 - but the instructor (Kevin) was excellent.
snow report
Oh I forgot to mention, re Tignes, we've only done self catering driving all diy but you could get an awesome apartment and eat out every night for that money. We did this half term 3 adults and a teen all in for 3k and that was peak week and everyone in ski school. 2013 we had 2 adults, a teen and two kids out at Easter and did it for £2500 plus eating out a few times and a hotel stopover both ways.

We did Arinsal in Andorra at. Christmas and half term the year before. Not sure about the snow at Easter but tax is low in Andorra, real bargains on beginner and improver ski packs which include everything. On your sort of budget go for a bit of luxury and try out the Princessa parc. Bowling alley, games rooms and an awesome spa. Food and service were also incredible! Booked through direct ski which was loads cheaper than Thomson and an identical package.
ski holidays
Oh I forgot to mention, re Tignes, we've only done self catering driving all diy but you could get an awesome apartment and eat out every night for that money. We did this half term 3 adults and a teen all in for 3k and that was peak week and everyone in ski school. 2013 we had 2 adults, a teen and two kids out at Easter and did it for £2500 plus eating out a few times and a hotel stopover both ways.

We did Arinsal in Andorra at. Christmas and half term the year before. Not sure about the snow at Easter but tax is low in Andorra, real bargains on beginner and improver ski packs which include everything. On your sort of budget go for a bit of luxury and try out the Princessa parc. Bowling alley, games rooms and an awesome spa. Food and service were also incredible! Booked through direct ski which was loads cheaper than Thomson and an identical package.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy