Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon Access 80w or 70w...or other????

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This year as a treat to myself I am finally going to buy a pair of ski boots as I am fed up of spending hours trying to get a pair of rental boots to do the job. I am a size 5 foot, with a normal width foot, but I do have very large, fat calves (which is why I have so much trouble in rental shops). Last year I had a pair of Salomon Access 80 boots, which were wide enough (as they have a very useful ratchet strap), but rubbed my ankle bone to death, I found out later they were men’s boots!
I have been into my local snow and rock, and a very helpful lady there suggested I get a pair of Salomon Access 80w boots. I am slightly concerned as these don’t have the ratchet strap, but she says they should be wide enough. She said I measure a 24, but I should order 25 to give me a little extra room, does this sound right? I did ask her about the Salomon Access 70w instead as they do have the ratchet strap but she said the 80’s would be better for me as I am intermediate to advance level. Sadly snow and rock have no stock in either boot in my size so I can’t get them through her. She said to look elsewhere then she’d check them.
The other thing she suggested was to get a custom liner, would this help?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
christine28,
Quote:

She said I measure a 24, but I should order 25 to give me a little extra room, does this sound right?

Short answer - No! (not ever, definitely do not buy ski boots from anyone who says this!)

If you struggle with rental boots you need to get a pair properly fitted - it may cost more, and be more hassle but it will be worth it. I, and many others here would recommend Solutions for Feet in Bicester, but I have no doubt other suggestions will be forthcoming as well.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

She said I measure a 24, but I should order 25 to give me a little extra room, does this sound right?

No. My boots are 24.5 and I take a 6.5 shoe, or sometimes 7. To sort out your fat calves you need a boot fitter, not a bigger boot (and as women's calves are generally fatter, lower down, than a man's, having men's boots isn't the answer, either.

There has been quite a lot of discussion on this, with some very useful contributions from CEM, an excellent bootfitter. For example

Quote:
it depends on the size of the calf muscle, if you measure around the calf at approx 11" from the floor you will get an idea of what is required

less than 13" skinny!
13-14" considered the norm by ski boot manufacturers
14-17 big but not a problem, adjust buckles and small flare to cuff
17-19 getting very big, adjust buckles, flare cuff change liner for intuition/palau which has less volume in cuff
19-23 going to have the chuck the kitchen sink at this
more than 23 yup this is going to be a problem

the key is boot size and shape, most importantly not being in a boot which is too big, whilst this might seem like the thing to to as the cuff is bigger , the cuff is also taller which means it has more calf to go round

you can keep the cost down a little by using an off the shelf footbed rather than a custom made one, but once you get over a certain point then changing the liner is a key part of process, the stock liner that comes with most boots is bulky and has to many seams in it, too much material around the cuff and a tongue which will bite into the leg as it is not wide enough

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2449120&highlight=calf#2449120
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy