Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is flying with ski helmets possible?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm taking my 2 kids on a skiing holiday on a very tight budget. We will be flying with "hand luggage" only as we can each take cases that are about 55 x 40 x 25cm. Has anyone ever tried boarding the plane whilst wearing their ski helmets as though they are part of your outfit rather than an extra piece of hand luggage?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you need a plane
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sorry about that couldn't resist it. We usually have a variety of helmets dangling from our hand luggage, never tried wearing them though. It would be a bit hot and you would look like….well you know….

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 9-09-14 20:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ed123, I had resisted it. I was going to suggest he needed wings or a canon. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've done it the past 3 seasons.... i just attach my helmet to the outside of my backpack which was my carry on luggage.... so can't see it being a problem.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tried it once dangled off my hand luggage with EJ and they count it as part of your hand luggage size, cost me £60 for a hold bag on a quick weekend to Geneva 2 seasons ago because the helmet when in the bag pushed it over the size limit. They made me pay at the gate.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I haven't had a problem with it hanging off the back of a bag, but I think it can depend on how beady eyed the staff are on the day! I have seen plenty of people doing the same as part of their carry on stuff too. Never seen anyone wearing them though. If you aren't taking ski boots in your carry on (which I can just about manage for a long weekend), I reckon you should be able to get a week's gear plus helmet inside the bag, you just have to be ruthless, wear your layers and stuff the helmet with kit!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
.......and wear a poachers jacket, stuff every pocket with undies and tee shirts. Take some strong aftershave too, you might hum a bit at the end of the week!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just stick it under your jumper and act pregnant. wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I stick 'em in the bottom of a rucksack... then fill with everything else.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wear them and claim you have a head related injury which requires you to wear head protection at all times. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Couldn't you get away with wearing it as a codpiece?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB, It might be a codpiece but can you fillet? Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geepee wrote:

No problem, where do you think I normally pack my ski socks?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
geepee wrote:

It might be a cod piece, but can you fill it?

Not if my "helmet" is too big for hand luggage! Laughing
ski holidays
I've never ever flown with my helmet in checked luggage, it ALWAYS gets clipped to my handluggage (backpack or trolley) and I#ve NEVER had a problem like that.
ski holidays
gary, you can rent kids helmets for very little if you are renting skis. Better than risking a penalty as reported by Markymark29. And always book hired gear in advance - I use skimium, quite useful savings and you can also find further discount codes on the internet very often. and 5% extra reduction just for having a Decathlon card.
snow report
Not too sure about the codpiece idea, my son & I can possibly pull it off, but my daughter may raise a few eyebrows!
snow conditions
I really wouldn't trust a rented helmet, you just don't know if it has been in a crash or used as football! My kids usually have helmets swinging from their hand luggage as they have so much "essential" junk in their bags and we have never had a problem.
snow report
If you mean totally left the ground and moved under the effect of gravity while wearing a helmet then count me in rolling eyes
ski holidays
I have always just clipped my helmet on to my hand luggage and have never had a problem, but that has never been with a company such as Easyjet.
snow report
Wear the helmet - along with a set of "Billy Bob" teeth, cross your eyes and whenever anyone asks you about this just reply, "I do whatever my Rice Krispies tell me to do".

Works for me.

http://billybobproducts.com/billy-bob-teeth.html
ski holidays
OMG not another Helmet thread ? Toofy Grin
snow report
geepee wrote:
that made me snort coffee on my keyboard! Witty!,
snow conditions
Always have mine as hand luggage in my rucksack with gloves and goggles inside. With me carrying my jacket or wearing it; worst case scenario if my luggage goes missing I'll still be able to ski after buying some trousers and renting boots and ski's.
snow conditions
Surely all of the volume of a helmet is really air? So when packed into the hand luggage and stuffed full of things, it should really take up a very small space in volume terms.
snow report
The last 6 flights I just wore mine - took it off for the scanner - I've had a few easy jet employes try and complain but they gave up with the argument quite quck - just told them it was to keep my head warm - pointed out 50% of the others were also wearing hats (stairwell waiting area in Liverpool) - KLM thought it was entertaining
snow report
ansta1 wrote:
wear them and claim you have a head related injury which requires you to wear head protection at all times. Very Happy

beat you to it Idris.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy