Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton - early season snow?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

We are planning our early season ski trip (13/14 Dec for a week). My husband is very keen to go back to St Anton, but we've never been at the beginning of the season before. Does it generally get good early season snow? How much of the area do they open early on? Daughter (aged 15 and a very fast and fearless skier) really wants to go back to Austria, so if St Anton is not an option, where else would you recommend? (Have done Kaprun at Christmas, but it's not an area we particularly enjoyed).

Thanks very much all.

Fiona
Pinky
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FionaG, no guarantees, but usually there is decent cover at that time. If there is snow then they open as much of the mountain as they can, so you can expect at least that all of Galzig down to St.Christoph,and Schindler with runs down to Valfagher will be open.Not sure about Stuben/Albona.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's a bit hit and miss whether you'll be Ok, I've skied there early December and it's been epic, but in other year it hadn't snowed until after Christmas, however if it's cold the snow cannons will be on, and so long as you're staying on piste you should be ok. Early off piste doesn't need much cover to find some stashes on Gampen, Stuben and Galzig grassy sloped areas but Rendl usually opens later and is much more rocky and needs much more snow to open the off piste.

I'm sure you'll be fine, but don't forget its weather and there's no guarantees, if I had the holiday allowance I'd be there this year, we were there 2 weeks ago and our local friends are saying they believe it's going to be a great long season, maybe wishful thinking but they're rarely wrong.......go for it, you'll love it. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've often skiied St Anton early season, but I'd probably pick Iscghl over St Anton. It's not far from St Anton, but most of the skiing is over 2000m and they put a lot of effort into openning as much as they can (often the majority if the resort by mid December). St Anton has fixed openings for certain areas. The higher lifts and Rendl will have been pre determined to open on a certain day and are very unlikely to open earlier even with heavy snow. As for the likely conditions there is a good chance of good snow cover by then, but it can come late. Locals everywhere are always optimistic of a good season a few months out so I'm not sure I'd read too much into that.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I've often skiied St Anton early season, but I'd probably pick Iscghl over St Anton. It's not far from St Anton, but most of the skiing is over 2000m and they put a lot of effort into openning as much as they can (often the majority if the resort by mid December).

+1, Though I think you're unlikely to have snow problems then in St Anton (and if you did you probably would in Ischgl too), Ischgl seems to prioritise opening more terrain sooner.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
FionaG,

There is no need to plan this far ahead for that week. St Anton before is empty before Xams & you can easily find somewhere from B&B to Luxury in town !!!

Regarding snow. If non natural they always seem to get the Artificial down . I never had a problem even the week before. Not all lifts will be open that week (Rendl).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy