Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dynafit Vulcan fit compared to TLT5 / BD Factor MX 130

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello
I currently ski the TLT5 Mountain and they fit my feet perfectly, stock liner, with only a custom footbed. A bit flexible though for resort / lift accessed off-piste. I am considering a stiffer boot that can still tour and that leads me to the Dynafit Vulcan, which apparently is nearly as stiff as an alpine boot and very lightweight.

Is the Dynafit Vulcan shape/fit (stock or with footbed) true to the equivalent size Dynafit TLT5? I can get a good deal on last years Vulcans, without the benefit of trying on...or just may wait until this season's model and get them at the mountain shop for piece of mind.

In terms of stiffness / sturdiness / beef, and view on the Vulcan vs. the 4-buckle Black Diamond Factor MX 130?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't comment on the fit comparison as I'm not familiar with the TLT5 or the MX130 but the Vulcan is a true 130 flex & has a 102mm clog width (27 mondo). It's got a pretty narrow heel & a very generous toe box. I'd say it's medium volume forefoot & has is same size/shape/volume as the One & the Mercury so you could do a test fit with either of those if you can find one near you.

A number of my customers switched last season from Factor boots to Mercurys with no issues but I don't which model Factors they had. IIRC one of them was Markymark29 so if he doesn't post on this thread soon you could PM him.

AFAIK there's no change to the Vulcan for the 14/15 season other than the liners are apparently going to be Dynafits own as opposed to a Palu liner. If you get last years boot don't be too concerned with the boot feeling very tight over top of the foot underneath the middle strap as the stock liner is pretty hard in that area but it goes away when the liner is heat moulded. With my Mercurys (which has the same liner as the Vulcan) the only way I could fasten the middle strap without any pain when test fitting was to remove the boot tongue however they're were perfect with the tongue installed after getting the liners cooked.

The Vulcan/Mercury do size short. On a Brannock my feet measure bang on 27 mondo & I own size 26 Atomic M-tec 110's (307mm BSL & a 10mm shell gap) & size 26 Tecnica Cochise 120's (310mm BSL & a 15mm shell gap) but I have 27 Mercury's (304mm BSL & a 15mm shell gap).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When buying my TLT6 carbons I tried on the Mercurys and Vulcans. The TLT6 fit me slightly better. As I understand it, the TLT5 is slightly smaller (2mm narrower) than the TLT6 so believe the TLT5 is a little bit smaller than the Vulcan although had I gone for Mercury or Vulcan I would have gone for the same mondo size as the TLT6's. Was under the impression that the BD Factors are a larger volume touring boot than the dynafits.

Be aware that the boot sole length (BSL) is much shorter on the TLT's than the Mercurys or Vulcans. If you do swap boots you might need to remount the bindings or adjust your heel piece circa 7mm back - the net effect of this is that your boot centre will be moved back.

http://www.evo.com/ski-boot-sole-length-bsl-size-chart.aspx
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dt007, as spyderjon, mentions above last season I changed from BD Factors to Mercurys, and am really happy with them, I'll detail the reasons below but first a bit on the Factors.

I'd run a pair of the original green/ lime buckle model for about 4 years since they originally were launched and found them to be really great but a bit on the heavy side for my increasing desire for max 1.5 hour skinning up to cols etc for Freeride descents, not proper touring. I'd also found that the heel section was getting sloppy and I was getting a bit of heel lift. A good mate was selling a pair of same Boots never worn but the newer model (black with green buckles and trim). I bought these, had fitted transferred my custom insole and had just one weekend and week skiing in Cham and St Anton before I realised they were crippling me and I had to get rid. The heel section was super narrow and the toe box seemed really narrow, I was getting cold toes and they couldn't move, plus my toes were bashing against the boot front. In short they were a completely different fit to the old ones and just as heavy.

I'd spoken with spyderjon, and he was telling me about the Mercurys and my friend had bought a pair and had had a good week in them, I decided to give them a shot. The heel section is very positive and no heel lift, the toe box is larger and I like the freedom this gives, plus the liner seems much better quality. Also the boot is much lighter, I also much prefer the walk mode to the Factor. I've no experience of the Vulcan but I'm aware it's a stiffer version of the Mercury. Jon also sorted the heel inserts for use with my Beasts, this combination is rock solid and feels great under foot.

Don't know if this helps, any specifics I can assist with give me a shout.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks DB / spyder.
Markymark29 - how do your vulcans compare to a regular alpine boot?
What I want to avoid is having the TLT5 as an ultralight touring boot, but than getting the vulcan ending up being essentially the same thing, just way more stiff. I can feel every single vibration through the Tlt5 sole when on mixed / icy terrain. Gets old.

Is there a lack of 'beef' in the mercury, and is this something that you feel reduces responsiveness over and through all conditions? I'm only 165lb - perhaps marketing has led me to believe that I need a 4 buckle beefy boot.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dt007 wrote:
I can feel every single vibration through the Tlt5 sole when on mixed / icy terrain. Gets old.

Part of that will be due to your choice of binding.

Dt007 wrote:
Is there a lack of 'beef' in the mercury, and is this something that you feel reduces responsiveness over and through all conditions? I'm only 165lb - perhaps marketing has led me to believe that I need a 4 buckle beefy boot.

"4 buckles" is a bit of a red herring these days.

The factor is a heavier boot, so it'll help smooth out the bumps a tiny bit, and it'll flex a bit differently than the vulcan cos all that carbon fibre is super stiff but not very forgiving.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dt007, I have Mercurys not Vulcans, compared to an alpine boot much lighter, proper walk mode, more flex, better liner and more toe wiggle room - all round much better boots IMO. As above 3 clips is no detriment vs 4, the Beast 16/ Mercury combination feels much more planted than Duke/ Factor combo I ran before thanks to Jon's advice at Piste Office I'm well happy.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy