Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Complex resort requirements - ideas please!

Poster: A snowHead
Evening all,

I have a rather complicated list of requirements for a family ski holiday (at least I think they are complicated when looking at a blank Google screen).

They are as follows:

- ski school that is likely to have English students (aged 5 and 7ish); English tutors a bonus

- self-catered accommodation, with option to buy in the catering (I have seen some companies that offer this service) - basically we want to be unsocial in the accommodation but would prefer not to have to cook to achieve this!

- don't mind the DIY option, but would gladly look at a TO offering this kind of deal

- small resort ideally: kids' first time was last year so large ski area not important. Wife is happy pootling around. My ski needs for the time being are on the back burner...therefore no need for expensive area passes.

Fully aware this is a fussy list and the search options on ski websites don't tend to have these options listed, so wondered if the good people here know what I'm asking for and are able to start me off with a couple of resort recommendations.

Ooh, I'm looking at a week in Easter 2015, so w/c 29th Mar onwards.

Anyone, anyone.....?

TIA

Dave
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Les Gets might be an option - v good for families and has at least one British ski school. And lots of SHs who know it well and could offer advice.

It's not a very fussy list - you should be able to find a number of options.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jesus, Not complicated at all. I would recommend Chatel for your group:

- BASS Chatel ski school, will be all British students and all British teachers (assume you don't mind a few Scots wink )
- good choice of self catered accommodation independently via sites such as Owners Direct, or the Tourist Office or with a TO such as Peak Retreats.
- outside catering happy to recommend Lisa of Delicious Liaisons http://www.deliciousliaison.com/ and she offers a range of options from full catering to meal delivery service
- easy to DIY but Peak Retreats is the main TO
- small resort, cheap resort pass which is often reduced from mid March too.

Good luck with your planning snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sarah, the OP's dad is a Scot wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dode wrote:
sarah, the OP's dad is God wink

Fify
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dode wrote:
sarah, the OP's dad is God wink

Fify
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ansta1, once more, for the Trinity?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
He's a very naughty boy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, strange duplicate post 37 minutes apart, with the second one whilst I was doing the morning oblutions. I think a higher force is at work. Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can't comment on Chatel for the winter as have only stayed in summer - Sarah is the expert for skiing there. snowHead However in terms of accommodation Chalets D'Angele offered by Peak Retreats is one of the best self catering residences we've been to in the Alps. The apartments are nearly new and immaculate and the pool/spa area is lovely. When you arrive at the accommodation they give you a list of meals you can order and have delivered to your apartment. Eg. Fondue or raclette ingredients which come with the fondue/raclette set. I think I also saw things like lasagne listed. There are also some lovely restaurants in Chatel. The only drawback of the apartments is that they are not in the best location for the village or ski slopes so you'd need to use the ski bus in winter.

For ski to the door I'd recommend Chalets de Flambeau in Val Cenis which we also stayed at with Peak Retreats. Chalets de flambeau is similar in style to Chalets d'Angele but right at the foot of the piste. The ESF ski school meeting point is right outside the apartments. If your kids are 3 star or below I'm sure there would be other English kids in the group in school holidays. The bronze group my elder child ended up in had fewer English kids. There was also a traiteur service at Chalets de Flambeau but it was maybe not as extensive as Chalets D'Angele. The ski area in val cenis would be fine for your family's requirements and the lift pass is good value.

If you want slightly cheaper accommodation, Le Hameau des Airelles in Montgenevre is another good option. Both Apeak and the ESF are good there and both offer English speaking lessons.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.chalet-altitude.com/en/la-rosiere.html?idS=3 My only slight doubt would be snow reliability towards the end of March in this South facing resort.

When we stayed (Xmas 2013, there is a review on here) we did not use the catering option but then I like cooking. The menus looked tempting with a choice of basic or luxury option. Bread, croissants and patisserie could be ordered for morning delivery the night before or for the week, regardless of the catering option.

It was a short walk to the lifts so for various reason we took the car full of kit each day to the bottom of the lifts but parking was always easy and very close.

I don`t know about the ski school though! Someone on here is bound to and I think have been discussions on the subject on this forum.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks to all for the replies...the Peak Retreats website has proved to be valuable in terms of what I'm looking for.

Am looking at Chatel and Val Cenis, as well as other lesser known resorts. Interesting reading and I hope to find something suitable. I especially like the suggested outside catering company.

And to disappoint some, my father isn't a carpenter - my Snowheads name is just my nickname from my ski season, many moons ago Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We use CGH for self catering for the past four years. They are superb. http://www.cgh-residences.co.uk web site is a bit rubbish though as the main search does not always show all the availability. Look at the bottom of the pages describing the individual chalets. The availability tends to be correct there.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You can get all that in Westendorf, though I don't think there are many native Brit instructors (plenty of fluent English speakers though). I'm not aware of a real catering service, but there are at least a couple of restaurants that do takeaways.

Smallish but bigger than you'd think resort with great skiing, rarely crowded, and generally very friendly and family-friendly.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You could get a small catered chalet. Absolute Alpine have a lovely chalet in Samoens for 4 adults or one family. We've stayed there twice.
snow conditions
If you don't mind a short (50m or so) walk to a bus stop and then a short bus ride and subsequent 8 minute or so journey in the bubble, then this would most definitely fit the bill:

http://www.la-vieille-ferme.co.uk

We've stayed there and had a thoroughly brilliant time. The accommodation - and food (they have a flexible catering option in the Farmhouse and Grenier apartments) - are great and the owners are absolutely lovely. The setting, just outside of Samoens, is very scenic, although a car might be useful if you want to get out and about.

Edited to include a link to the menu:

http://www.lvf-cuisine.co.uk/delivery%20menu.php
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy