Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss Railways cut travel times to ski resorts. Passenger numbers rise 7.5%

Poster: A snowHead
Switzerland's state-owned railways claim they've reduced the travel times from cities to ski resorts by between 11 minutes and 43 minutes, which partly accounts for a significant rise in passenger numbers this year.

Bloomberg reports that 7.5% more people have used the services in 2005, with more than 95% of trains arriving on time.

Taken a Swiss train recently? Was the experience OK?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith,

I really like the Swiss trains, they do exactly what they say on the tin...

In fact, I would say that contenental rail travel that I have used is the best way to tavel down to the alpes altho' I haven't used Italian...!!!!!

Some of the mountain trains are rather smokey tho' and being in a non smoker isn't always much better..!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Only been on 1 Swiss train... Intercity from Basel to GVA last year, cos GVA was closed due to snow. Punctual, yes, but I'd say quality of service was no different to German and Dutch trains I've been on, but it was packed with Ski/Boarders (funny cos I didn't see that many on the ICE from Köln/Frankfurt, despite 2+ planes being cancelled, and Lufthansa offloading everyone onto the trains).
Very scenic, and yes I have seriously considered this route again, instead of Lufthansa.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
andy, take the ICE to Interlaken Ost for a great way to the Jungfrau Region, I've been on that train and was very impressed, generally most if not all mainline trains in Switzerland are very nice to travel on, many of the main routes now have double deck trains, with quiet zones, comfortable seats and they're clean, unlike our own uk trains Mad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do any of you experienced types know how the Swiss transfer ticket works if you are travelling by train + postbus? what happens if you get to the bus stop and all the seats are taken? Is it better (is it possible?) to pre-book the specific journey that you need rather than "hope for the best" when you get to Geneva/Zurich ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alan Craggs,

Never tried that.... I've always just sat there and jumped on the bus when it came...

Where are you going.?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alan Craggs, I wouldn't take this as gospel but I have a vague memory of asking that question of the Swiss Tourist Office in relation to group travel. I think they commit to running a second bus if the first is full.

There's definitely a commitment to getting you to your destination in Switzerland. When my train to Geneva was halted at Lausanne (with all others) by a huge power cut they piled us all into taxis within half an hour and off we went! I guess if you are a single passenger left with no place on a full acheduled bus they might do the same.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
D G Orf, Yeah that is one of my 2 plans (other is Mayrhofen). Have been looking at Lauterbrunnen/Wengen/Mürren for week beginning 4th or 11th March. Still tbc, and subject to getting time off etc. Also looked at driving (5 hours?) and parking up in Lauterbrunnen, which I assume is possible on summer tyres (but subject to €20 on the spot penalty if you get stopped by the polizei in germany).
There's also 2 train routes, that I think are 'ski trains' (need to check), one iirc is amsterdam-interlaken via köln, mainz (not far for me) etc. and the other is Berlin via frankfurt to innsbruck conveniently stopping st anton. I think they run a few times each, but only on saturdays. Not sure if they are Dutch/German or Swiss services though.
The German ICE from Frankfurt to Basel was excellent, even if it misleadingly had only 1 laptop power socket per pair of seats.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alan Craggs, as David says, in my experience they've always run a second bus if one is full. I even had one journey where the bus driver called his wife to bring her car to give me a lift!!

RE smokey trains. This may be of interest to those that thravel on Swiss public transport.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Goldsmith wrote:

Taken a Swiss train recently? Was the experience OK?

It is more than OK It makes a great start and finish to a trip.

Far better than hanging around to pile on to a charabanc to get to your destination.

On the way back you can break your journey at interesting city. Fly/rail luggage arrangements mean you can travel without encumbrance.

I have also been on Swiss trains that broke down.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the info all who responded. I guess we'll be OK with the transfer tickets then Very Happy Going to a little place in the Valais JT wink .
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Swiss trains are beautiful, smooth, punctual, clean, coordinated but so sloooooooow.

Given the Swiss reputation for efficiency, I have often pondered why, given the huge volume of ski flights on Saturdays and Sundays during winter months, disgorging passengers at Geneva Airport, Swissrail trains dont have an empty wagon for skis and luggage. Passengers have to load it up in the connection between carriages and around the doors.

Even the rack and pinion train from Visp to Zermatt doesnt cater for the fact that virtually all the passengers, on certain days between certain months, will have skis and luggage with them.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alan Craggs, I've hardly ever seen a post bus completely full, however they will do whatever is required either running a second bus or alternate transport, I once experienced a rare late running Swiss train where the guard having asked us where we were going phoned ahead to hold a post bus for us at the station, and the station manager even came to help us with our luggage. From a hazy memory hardly any post bus routes can have reservations made in advance, the ones that do are the sightseeing ones such as the 3 passses.

T-Dub, not all Swiss trains are slow the newest ones on the dedicated lines are very speedy

andy, I think it's the Amsterdam to Interlaken one I've been on seemed very nice for the short bit of the journey that I used it for from Bern to Interlaken Ost
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf, Actually I lied. The ICE was Berlin via Frankfurt, Basel, Bern to Interlaken. The St.Anton one is an IC (Swiss?) from Dortmund, Köln, Mainz, ... to Innsbuck. The Amsterdam ICE is to Basel, and is presumably the one I took from Frankfurt airport.
But whatever, there's a few convenient trains that takes me to the alps, where I can sit back and relax for 4 hours. And Wengen etc. certainly looks appealing.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can't fault the Swiss train system. We use them year after year to get to Interlaken Ost from Geneva/Zurich airport. The trains are always clean,comfortable and on time.The last few years they have introduced the doubledecker carriages on the route which provide an even better level of comfort and a better view.
ski holidays
Alan Craggs,

Popular with wabbits...??

I'll be in Andermatt from the 13th jan..

Elizabeth B,

Excellent news..!!
ski holidays
JT,
Quote:

Alan Craggs,

Popular with wabbits...??

Shhhh! wink British Package Tourists will hear you.

Have you made up your mind yet? Very Happy
ski holidays
snowbunny,

1st trip is to Engelberg and Andermatt... they are right next door to each other apparently, well, transfer is down the hill and round the corner...!!
I wanted to tack on your valley but they have to get to Chamonix...!!

So now I am planning Le Grave in Feb and might try 4 days in Val D A in march... We might fly a light plane into Sion...that sounds a cool idea just for a scout around... Laughing

I am dissapointed they haven't taken my advice and they think they know better... it will all ends in tears ...
So frustrating...!!!
snow conditions
JT,
Quote:

We might fly a light plane into Sion...that sounds a cool idea just for a scout around...

You have seen the airstrip then? Very Happy
Quote:

I am dissapointed they haven't taken my advice and they think they know better... it will all ends in tears ...
So frustrating...!!!

Oh well, if you make it March, we will be in Nendaz (aka Bracknell on Ski Very Happy ). I wonder just how many snowHead will make it to Val D A this winter without meeting up Laughing
ski holidays
snowbunny,

It's big and we are only a 4 seater.... don't know if you need a mountain rating..!!

Why are you skiing in Nendaz when your own place should be ready..?
snow conditions
JT,
Quote:

Why are you skiing in Nendaz when your own place should be ready..?

We have a long wait before we are granted a licence to purchase from the Gov't. We could have access, if we compensate the current owner, but we do not know how long we will have to wait, or how much we could end up paying. Our solicitor advised not going that route.
Quote:

It's big and we are only a 4 seater.... don't know if you need a mountain rating..!!

Yes, it's quite big, and right beside the Autoroute, on the plain. I understand that quite a few big planes get diverted to GVA because of bad weather.
Not sure if there are travel links to the railway station in Sion.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy