Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amade

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Organising a group trip to Austria for late Jan and I'm looking for some advice about Flachau or Schladming in the Ski Amade.

It's a mixed group with most ppl comfortable on most runs, but with one or two that are a bit nervous including one person who always seems to manage to break something on ski trips...

Anyway, main question is as I've never been to either - whats the Apres like at both resorts and is there any night life after Apres or is all a bit back to the hotel for dinner and bed? We're not hard core clubbers, but do enjoy a lagerita or two in the evenings..

For some of them it's the first time they've skied / apres'd Austria as they normally do the usual big purpose-built French resorts, so it'd be nice if either had an element of picture postcard too...

Thanks All
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've had some good nights out in Flachau, and pretty late too. I'm sure the local experts will provide more info shortly.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mauddib, Seemed to me like there were more options in Flachau than Schladming, at least in the evening. But to be honest we did not explore that much.
In Schladming there is newish, big apres place next to gondola, looked busy for apres, not sure later on. Few places in town for evening drink but rather quiet.
In Flachau, I have seen some smaller bars for apres next to lower stations of chairs and gondola.
Looked busier than Schaldming later in the evening, specially this big sort of "traditional" German feel place with euro pop and dancing.
Trendy looking bar + a few more in town.
Should be enough options for you.

Schladming is like small town, with market square and few nice streets around. View is also nice.
Flachau is more spread out village, although I remember nice view close to the river.

Both great to visit. Plenty in Schaldming to ski but in Flachau maybe more to explore. As you can ski to Wagrain and further to Alpendorf. Short bus to Flachauwinkl (great) and ski to Zauchensee (again best and different views) is a must as well.
Amazingly modern lift system in Flachau and now I guess in Wagrain and Zauchensee, best I have seen so far.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mauddib, rather than Flachau maybe look at Wagrain - some good Apres places at both base stations (Flying Mozart and Graffenberg). The beginner progression area at Flachau can be a bit nerve-wracking as most of the upper runs pass through it one way or another. Wagrain is more compact and offers you the same skiing opportunities as Flachau (it's on the other side of the same mountain). Scarpa was introduced to several "hot widows" in the Kuhberg for example! wink For later in the evening there are several Tenne where the usual disco/cheesy Euro-pop is played. You may find the prices slightly cheaper as well if you are looking for hotels rather than s/c accommodation.

Schladders is also fun, but you may be competing with the mob that arrives for the World Cup night slalom - now that is a manic evening and has to be experienced to be believed!!! It usually takes place the Tuesday evening after the Kitzbühel Hahnenkamm Downhill around the 20-something of January, I think it is around the 27th in 2015. The Ladies World Cup circuit are in the Flachau from 10th January to 14th. The hotels are usually booked out for both those weeks by fans and teams.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mauddib, nights out in both are awesome, but if you want some serious Apres, dancing on the tables in ski boots kinda stuff, head to Flachau. Your agenda should go something like this;

Lisa Alm......15-16.00( chilled house and lounge music).....ski a short run down to...
PurzellBaum for 16-18.00....quite rowdy, gorgeous looking girls in very skimpy outfits dancing on the bar(get there early for the best "views" wink ...short ski down to.......
Dampf Kessel 18-20.00....very rowdy, loud, you will be dancing on the bar yourself in your ski boots! Lots of fun and always mega busy.

If you are still up for more partying after 21.00, you can hike into Flachau itself where the Downtown, Fire and Ice , musistadl and the Hofstadl are all open until about 4am,and awesome fun, although The Downtown and Fire and Ice are the best if you like club music, the others offer a mix of live bands/cheesy Apres.

Now, the skiing......Flachau would be my choice for beginners, lots of very wide flat runs with a few spicy ones thrown in for the more adventurous, as Sue said it hooks up with Wagrain and StJo, so massive area. I do love the skiing better in Schladming myself, but the Apres in Flachau can´t be beat IMHO, and I have been to almost every bar and club in both resorts Embarassed

If you need a guide I will happily show you about if I am not working Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kooky wrote:
but the Apres in Flachau can´t be beat IMHO, and I have been thrown out of almost every bar and club in both resorts Embarassed

FIFY wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kooky, has hit the nail on the head really...
But she missed out the "I CAN TOUCH!!" bit... Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mauddib I have very fond memories of a birthday weekend powderfest in Flachau Very Happy - nice village, decent enough for eating and drinking and great, fairly extensive, skiing. Off the UK tour operator radar but deserves to be more well known.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict, I agree wink

mauddib, plenty of apres apres (if you know what I mean) without the need to go clubbing - Alter Neuwirt, Emas pub, Hoagascht (while a restaurant it's also a bar later in the evening). Kooky didn't mention Yeti's Party Haus which is a (in)famous club not far from my place
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarpa wrote:
Kooky wrote:
but the Apres in Flachau can´t be beat IMHO, and I have been thrown out of almost every bar and club in both resorts Embarassed

FIFY wink

Laughing were they getting fed up serving 225ml shandies?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx, I really did get thrown out of Yetis a few years ago, not my fault I promise, but I don´t like it there, it´s very, very *young*.

Cacciatore, 225ml? What in hell do you take me for? An alcoholic Skullie

Scarpa......hush now, if you wish to spend NYE with me in Purzelbaum, they have a very strict door policy on that night Cool
Flangesax I don´t even remember that bit...oh dear Sad [/b]
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kooky, Well they let me in last time, and MM has the pics to prove it Shocked

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarpa,

http://youtube.com/v/cAz2FhO6WRw

wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all for your help, but the consensus was Flachau, and we're now booked...

One other question - As our trip coincides with the Schladming Slalom, does anyone know if there will be any sort of organised trips from Flachau to the Schladming or should we plan to organise it separately?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mauddib, not aware of anything but the tourist information people will reply to an email in english pretty quickly

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 17-10-14 9:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Austria's rubbish. Tell everybody. Edit: Especially the bits mentioned above.
snow conditions
Tarquin, wink
latest report
mauddib, If you can get a taxi down to Altenmarkt there are special trains organised from there, but get the times right (we didn't and had to take a taxi instead). If there are enough of you to share the cost a taxi to and from the race is the best option to be honest.

Tickets can be booked in advance at the Schladders site but basically you will have to be there pretty early to get a good position as the hard core fans are there from late afternoon bagging the best sites. We always go to the square in front of Gasthof zur Alten Post and watch on the big screens there. The atmosphere is something to be experienced and the Austrian fans go crazy every time one of their team comes down regardless of their position.

Whereabouts are you staying in Flachau? If it is one of the more upmarket places, they may be able to organise everything for you if you send the request in early enough.
latest report
mauddib, congratulations - you will have a great time. Google 'the night race' and get your tickets, then book a taxi from your hotel once you are there. You could also taxi in the morning - ski there all day, shove your kit in a locker and enjoy the racing. No doubt some of us locals may well be going, we do love a good ski race. Very Happy Ange
ski holidays
I've always done the square and had a great time, someday I'll make the slopes though. Such a friendly fun filled atmosphere Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Kooky, that was a quote from Graeme during his visit to Show Town...
snow report
Ngghhh. Why am I not going to Austria this season? Silly me. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
mauddib, just out of interest what have you booked? I ask because I am organising a trip for 12- 1st week in March- with mixed abilities and was thinking of Flachau as I had a day skiing there from Obertaurn one year and thought it would be nice to spend more time there.
latest report
mauddib, congrats, you are going to LOVE IT!

I booked the whole of that week off work cos of the Night race , so if you want a ski guide any days let me know!
There are organized busses from Flachau but you need to be really organized for the way back, last time I went to the Night Race 2 years ago, I missed my bus home and ended up hitching a lift from the Crystal Holidays bus that was going to Radstadt, lovely people Madeye-Smiley

I booked it via the tourist office and think it cost €5 each way.
snow report
Again, thanks all, and as always most helpful Very Happy

We're staying at the Pongauerhof, although we were originally going to stay at Berg Diamant, but it's been a little awkward because we started out as a group of 8 or 10 staying for 4 nights and actually ended up being a group of 5 with 3 staying for 4 nights and the other 2 staying for the week Puzzled

Most of the hotels wanted to stick the 3 in a double with an extra bed, but we managed to get a 2 bedroom apartment / suite at the Pong.

I'll email the tourist office and try the hotel too.

Will we need tickets if we watch in the square or are they just to get on the grandstands / bottom of the race?

Kooky, thats a mighty fine offer and we may just take you up on it! Very Happy
ski holidays
northantsred,
blatant pimping of my wares.... but if you fancy a catered chalet experience with your whole group in one place then give me a shout.... not many places can offer an exclusive stay with catering for a group of your size.... feel free to look me up... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
BTW....I feel it mighty appropriate to just mention here Zauchensee is due almost a meter of snow in the next 2 days........just saying! Madeye-Smiley

mauddib, no tickets needed for the square, but you may need ear plugs....it gets LOUD!
snow conditions
Zauchensee.....Zauchensee....hmmm, rings a bell....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Zauchensee is due almost a meter of snow in the next 2 days

Shocked
ski holidays
i'm gonna bury my head in the sand (or snow).... not got the mojo yet!
snow report
oh.. by mojo i mean like the one that don't work no more rather than the weird contraption attached to your ski boots...
snow conditions
9.5 weeks until I touch Austrian soil again Toofy Grin

It would be great to ski with some new folk as well as all the old friends.

And by old friends, flangesax, I am not necessarily referring to your need for a Mojo.
snow report
I'm not counting the days yet, I'll get too depressed. But I have booked my flights, yay!
snow report
I will touch the Austrian soil maybe this weekend...or next weekend...
Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Scarpa,
Quote:

9.5 weeks

Don´t go all Mickey Rouke on me Shocked

Well, woke up to white hills so its on the way folks...winter is here! (although Austria is too low for early snow)
snow report
flangesax, I had already looked at yours but unfortunately you only have 5 bedrooms and we are a party of 12, two families and some offspring's partners, the offspring have become quite fussy . . . . I know I know, it's all our own fault. Should have dragged them up! Laughing
ski holidays
northantsred, I am sharing a chalet for 20 people in Schladming this Feb, I could find out the name for you if you like, they are ski in / out which is pretty rare and worked out at about £220 per person in the half term holiday week.
ski holidays
@Scarpa, that would be grand if it's not too much bother.
ski holidays
@northantsred, This was the booking site my friend used...
http://www.huettenpartner.de/index.php?sid=e69cf772b06eef08e2f34cd4e1f36859&lang=en
ski holidays
SKI-STM is the cabin code
http://www.huettenpartner.de/huette.php?sid=e69cf772b06eef08e2f34cd4e1f36859&code=SKI-STM&Indicate=Indicate
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy