Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Time to start training ?

Poster: A snowHead
yorkshirelad wrote:
speed098, just booked Monday morning at 7.30 with a gift voucher for two hours at £18 .. but wednesdays breakfast club says it's full Sad but i can still book and do the normal 7.30am start.. again for £18...trouble is if i pay for a month i end up missing a couple of weeks due other commitments etc. ;-(

But at £60 or £70 if you want the freestyle ? it will still work out cheaper than £18 a pop x4 or even 5 sessions.

I just did 2 hrs today and hardly anyone on the slope.

Not sure if I can make a 7.30 start on the Monday every time I try and travel at that time on the motorway it is just a giant carpark Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow! Are all you guys for real?
I mean, yorkshirelad seems a normal sort of bloke: a bit of cycling, the odd excercise routine, and then off to the pub.
That's most of the skiers i know.
So who are you guys in training for joining up with Sir Ranulph Fiennes?
Body pump? Body attack?
I had to check i was still in snowheads and not victim of another hack that had diverted me to some ultramarathon site.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Most of my training is getting my boots on and off that is normally a half hour workout on it's own. The pub sounds good but then I would have to decide ski or après ski. plus if I decided on the latter would have to join P*ssheads not Snowheads.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Started circuits class again last night after summer respite. Instructor was pleased to see he hadn't frightened off all the newbies after the spring term. Some very relevant excersizes like 2 foot jumps over small hurdles and side-shuffling between centre and points of a star of cones, as well as the usual sit-ups etc. Surprisingly I'm one of the younger guys. Many head straight for the pub afterwards but I'm still somewhat lacking in that element.

2 dome trips this week: Sunday was mostly standing whilst coaching young race trainees and demos coming from the more advanced students, Tue eve with a small class managed to fit in a good few demo carving runs myself Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I started the summer feeling really fit but a months holiday followed by 3 weeks off with a sore back didn't really keep me in that shape. So back to Crossfit 2x a week plus something like this one other day
http://youtube.com/v/EG3E1KX3Ti4&feature=youtu.be then walking/cycling on days I don't do proper exercise. I've got to say I agree with clarky999, with exercise more isn't always better. There are tons of studies looking at this eg. all the HIIT or tabata studies, no one needs to exercise for hours every day and there is really no benefit to it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I had been doing brilliantly well with my weight training. Was in a regular three times a week pattern, and had built up to squatting my body weight. Then i broke my leg...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I ran for the train this morning - didn't go well.
Actually I've just started cycling to work normally. Only a 5 mile route but better than nothing. Might have to start going to the gym again once winter sets in properly.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maireadoconnor, hopefully you'll be back to it before too long. rehab, rehab and more rehab and you'll be good as new
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My training has been somewhat curtailed - meniscus flare up after last year's broken leg meant I couldn't train for 4 weeks, then on the very day I was going to go back to the gym (tuesday this week) my car got written off and I've got s hurty chest. Hey ho...start again next week hopefully but my leg exercises, which were going pretty well with lunges, step ups, squats.. all with 20kg weight, single leg squats on trx straps and bosu, deadlifts etc have taken a step back and I'll need to work back up to it
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim, Because in the last couple of years age has caught up with me and i have become a fat git!! In all seriousness tho, the fitness has helped my skiing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:
I do boxing training all year round but have already been banned from Spar and Burger King .....

http://youtube.com/v/CjErVEf0N2M

Dont be giving Spyderjon any more ideas, he will be adding this into his routine every day on the way to the gym Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
yorkshirelad wrote:
speed098, just booked Monday morning at 7.30 with a gift voucher for two hours at £18 .. but wednesdays breakfast club says it's full Sad but i can still book and do the normal 7.30am start.. again for £18...trouble is if i pay for a month i end up missing a couple of weeks due other commitments etc. ;-(

I will be there Monday morning as well traffic permitting. I am hoping to get 4 hrs in at least.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PaulC1984, Loven it Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why do you stop training at the end of the season?

it's easier to just keep it going all year.

I try to get to the gym about 5 or 6 times a week (weights, circuits, running) with a bit of cycling on my day off.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm with Mosha Marc on this: keep up regular exercise all year round.
But gym 5-6 times a week? Impressive, but when so you find time for the important things in life like watching Breaking Bad and Football, and staring at webcams?
I try to build exercise into my daily routine: ditch the car, bike to work, walk everywhere, never take the lift however many stairs there may be (16 stories in one place i work). and gardening. Gym just once a week in vain attempt to look like Daniel Craig. rolling eyes
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
Why do you stop training at the end of the season?

it's easier to just keep it going all year.

I try to get to the gym about 5 or 6 times a week (weights, circuits, running) with a bit of cycling on my day off.

I stop training at the start of the season wink
latest report
I really struggle to keep training through the summer, and its long here. Classes end around mid June and don't start again until next week. I still do hikes, bike rides but its not the same. I went to UK for 3 1/2 weeks and its pretty difficult to workout in random houses with random equipment and no time because you haven't seen each other for years. Did manage some self-workouts at in laws , but really I need classes for motivation and to push myself.

Start back next week with Hard Core, which I've done for 3 years now, and am doing Ski Conditioning and fitness.
ski holidays
Thanks holidayloverxx

I miss the gym. I think the only thing I'd be able to do at the moment is bicep curls, and that's no help for skiing. Or, indeed, anything!
ski holidays
spyderjon, impressive work that mate, I've been avoiding the gym since end April and giving it loads on both road bike and latterly MTB but started back this week at the gym, 2 classes of both Metafit and Insanity, plus 45 miles on the bike this am, back on it now only drinking at weekends, that's the key for me. Also going running 5k 2x a week round our local reservoir, also going to do some yoga, got to get more flexibility.......put on 6-7kg this summer, need to be back to 80 for ski season, got to keep up withclarky999, this year, we're due some turns eh Matt? wink
latest report
Mosha Marc, kin ell you're going for it Marc, you were looking pretty lean already, you need to work a few chicken Balti's into that programme mate!
snow report
Managed a few weights yesterday..., must learn to pick pints up with left hand as well though, wink but I am going to a spinning class each week and a couple of times a month at the chill factor, oh and a gentle bike ride off road on the odd Saturday morning weather permitting ... But that's my year round routine really... But I must admit, as I'm getting older the lack of fitness does show, after breaking my knee last year it's taken me ages to get close to my previous level...which as it turns out was crap anyway...oh hum wink more beer did I hear someone say ??
ski holidays
yorkshirelad, oh yes, always more beer!
latest report
Isn't the time to start training the end of the prevous season? I used to just ski once a month minimum (managed 9 years before bike related braoken ACL stopped me) , no need for training if you don't stop Wink
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:

5-6 times a week. How do you stand the boredom of it? At least cycling gets you out in the open air.

I've a new toy: a road bike whose spec puts me firmly in the "all the gear, no idea" category. People have been telling me a good road bike drives you to work much harder than a MTB does and they were right.

I'll carry on windsurfing until, probably, late November. Restarting Pilates. Plan to restart Yoga. Gym, maybe, once it's too cold to windsurf.

Best form of exercise for me - something I like to do. There's then some chance I'll keep doing it.
snow report
I lost nearly half a stone on my 3 week stay in L2A last January. 20 days straight skiing, mostly longish days and reasonably sensible eating and drinking (for a skiing holiday) did the job.

Mainly concentrating on biking atm 40 - 50 miles, sometimes more 2 or 3 times a week. Will jump on the cross trainer when it gets colder as I'll be biking less. Need to do a bit of core work too.
snow report
Ive just signed uo to the Concept 2 100km in a month rowing challenge... I must be mad !!
latest report
last year i ran for 7 miles a day....after a week i ended up in sheffield !! Very Happy
snow report
yorkshirelad,
Could have been worse you could have lived this side and ended up in Liverpool Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Claude B, I think a considerable proportion of weight loss on longer ski trips is down to living in cold temperatures. You burn wayyyyyyy more energy simply keep body temp in the right place.
ski holidays
speed098, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
under a new name, You also burn more energy at altitude, it is suggested as one of the reasons for the failure of the Scott polar expedition.
snow conditions
rjs, and more importantly get drunk quicker Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Markymark29, I think I've actually put on a few pounds. Shocked

dogwatch, I don't usually find it boring. I train with a mate who was an Army PTI in another life, so it tends to be varied and competative. The only dull bit is the odd 30 mins on the running machine.
snow report
we used to loose a bit of weight skiing,... but the food in our regular hotel is sooo good...added to that the free pizza and nibbles in the apres ski bar opposite the hotel means we put the odd pound on nowa days.... did i mention the beer as well ? and the wine ? Puzzled

i've now got a muscle in my back going into spasm stopping me doing excersize ... can still drink though..phew !!
ski holidays
yorkshirelad,

Did you go to CFe Monday morning ?

I did not get on the slope till almost 8:30 due to traffic Sad but did get another couple of hours in afterwards to make up for missing the first hour Very Happy
snow report
DB wrote:
I do boxing training all year round but have already been banned from Spar and Burger King .....

http://youtube.com/v/CjErVEf0N2M

Laughing outstanding. 2m or so in and I was laughing out loud Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Maireadoconnor wrote:
I think the only thing I'd be able to do at the moment is bicep curls, and that's no help for skiing. Or, indeed, anything!

Oh yes it is Toofy Grin
latest report
rjs, really? Other than thermal compensation? I found that rather surprising, and the limited search suggests that the problem is a reduced appetite leading to less consumption being the problem. References gratefully received.
latest report
under a new name, I haven't found any references, it was mentioned on a TV series by Bruce Parry that tried to recreate aspects of the Scott and Amundsen expeditions in Greenland.
snow conditions
I was doing well with the cardio, running c. 20km / week + one cycle + squats, lunges etc. and then trapped my pudendal nerve (ouch). Just recovered and then I turned my ankle. And then 10 days later I turned my ankle again. The same one. Fitness now rubbish and beer gut improving daily. bug.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy