Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best resort in Ski Amade late season

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are planning two trips to Maria Alm this year (Xmas and Feb half term) and so are going to buy season passes. We have now started thinking whether we could fit in a third week somewhere on the Ski Amade from end March to beginning April (first week of school hols). We have tried to research which are the best late season resorts with little luck so hoping the combined knowledge on Snowheads can help us out.

Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you hava a car the best option is to find a place somewhere in Radstadt and go for skiing where you will have the best conditions
Otherwise without car i suppose Zauchensee is a good option. Or sometimes 4-Berge (Hauser, Planai etc)

But what about buying Salzburg Super Ski pass? The Amade Ski pass costs 538,00 EUro. Salzburg Super Ski Pass 598 (if i remember well)
But you have Kitzsteinhorn (glacier) and Obertauern in your pass. So you could book Obertauern for late spring ski.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dking2001, if you can buy the Salzburger Super Ski Season pass, you open up your options considerably for late season skiing. Obertauern remains open until the beginning of May most years! Toofy Grin

Within the Sportwelt Amadé region, Schladming is a good bet as are most of the other resorts if we have a standard winter. Despite all the gloom and doom reporting from people who spent maybe just a week or two max in the region, we had a reasonable good long season last year and were skiing to the end of April without any problems. Off-piste was poor and touring was also limited due to the very variable temperatures but piste skiing was fantastic most of the season if some what slushy lower down in March and towards the end of the season. I have pictures taken throughout the season that belie the "no snow" reports given out by many. I started my main skiing season with a brilliant weekend skiing with Annemarie Moser-Pröll on the 14/15th December (having already had a weekend at the end of November).

My last extended period of skiing was in Flachau starting the 22nd March with green fields in the valley but it started snowing that night and by the time it had finished 2 days later, we had up to 80cms of wonderful fresh powder on the upper slopes and nearly 50cms burying my car. As most people agree, last season was unusual in the pattern of warm weather and lack of early frosts in November to help provide a good bond between the base and the ground. Even in the warmest weather in February and March, we still skied every week. Due to my compromised knees I did not ski down to the valley at the end of the day, but then downloading in the gondolas has never been a problem for me. wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Turms and Sue. We were planning on only getting the Ski Amade pass as for children it is 131 Euro versus 285 for the Super Salzburger pass. We did ski Maria Alm the last week of Feb last season and agree that apart form the slush on lower slopes skiing 'up top'was fine.

Perhaps may be best to wait to see how the season ahead pans out then pick a resort based upon what snow is looking like.

Thanks again

DK
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dking2001,

Late last season the Amade pass was free for kids. I don't know if that's true every year. As Sue said there was so much snow at Easter it just got in the bloody way wink The Flanges talked me out of getting the Salzburger Super pass as we really wouldn't have needed it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
musher, It is true every season but I'm not sure if it applies if the adults have season tickets. The usual deal is free tickets for under 16s (I think) when you buy at least a week's pass for an adult. flangesax would be the best to consult on that question. The "kids go free" offer usually kicks in about a week or so after the last half-term week, i.e. at the end of the High Season dates.

dking2001, There are also all-inclusive deals at that end of the season which include the lift pass. Look under Pauschal Angebote on the Ski Amadé web site.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A ok...then i think a gut option is
1. Altenmarkt - Zauchensee or the are of Hochkönig
2. 4-Berge

the 1 choice (Zauchensee or Hochkönig) has the highest bottom altitude in Amade (1.300 to +2.000)...other resorts like Flachau are under 1.000m (bottom)
the 2 choice has the Dachstein Glacier.
Ok its not like Hintertux but at least you could save a few days if the weather donw in the valley is TOO warm. Except that i have skied in Hauser Kaibling in April years ago and it was fine. Of course the valley runs were a snow band, and left and right was green, but the snow was hard and compact because of the use of many artificial snow during winter.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Samerberg Sue,the easter kuds offer is on the lift pass website
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
turms, I was skiing there until the third week of April last season. Still great snow. I am usually based in Radstadt/Altenmarkt (they are opposite sides of the ski hill) and the free bus goes up to Zauch at frequent intervals.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scarpa : i agree with that. Except Glacier is probably the best option. Greetings to N.Wales....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx, I know, my only question is whether, as holders of season tickets as opposed to weekly tickets, they would be able to get the free children's tickets in the post-High season period. That's why I suggest asking people who have children and also deal with this on a weekly level with their guests.

dking2001, Contact flangesax with regard to the best options for the children's tickets. They run a B&B in Radstadt and have much more experience of families and the ticket conundrum. I don't have children so it is of no interest to me whether kids ski for free or not! Whatever you decide, as you are travelling out by car, opting for a central base in the region in such as Altenmarkt may save you money on accommodation and place you in a good position to make the most of the conditions in the region. It is where I base myself most of the time and I ski a different area each day. Last season though I tended to avoid Zauchensee, especially at weekends as the day visitors converged there and the Arena area where all the runs meet up is not always the most child friendly location.

turms, in the almost 30 years I've been skiing in this region, I have never had to resort to the glaciers yet at Easter. Having a glacier as a back-up option is not always a bonus as if you HAVE to use it due to poor snow conditions, so does everybody else. A green Christmas many, many moons ago in Leysin taught me the futility of that particular "snow guarantee". The modernized uplift to these guaranteed snow areas has only led to more people waiting in queues on the glaciers themselves as opposed to at various levels on the approaches. wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Samerberg Sue, it's pretty clear on the website - applicable to 6-18 day lift pass, except season passes and pre-paid cards (i looked into it for Snowdrop when she stayed with me)

http://www.skiamade.com/en/winter/vacationplanner/special-weeks/easter

"The Easter Bunny is coming to Ski amadé from 14th of March 2015! The Easter Family Special offers you free ski passes for children under 15 (born in or after 1999) if at least one parent purchase a lift pass for 6 days or longer*.
Many Ski amadé resorts organise special attractions and highlights from 14th of March 2015 to the end of the season to make family skiing holidays even more exciting.

Attention!
A proof of family membership, common permanent residence and confirmation from hotel for 7 nights accommodation in Ski amadé is required.
*6-18-day lift pass, except season passes and prepaid ski cards"
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ Samerberg Sue : i agree with that. However for me, is better to have a back up, even if i have to wait more...
Usually i go for Glaciers at Easter not because of the lack of snow in lower resorts, but for better quality. Slushy snow sometimes is dangerous....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy