Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurotest training

Poster: A snowHead
Hey Stuart! Thanks, great meeting you, hope the rest of your season goes well.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jimmer,

yes well done - second inside on a hard technical course Cool nice work
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well done jimmer...I just saw the pic on the JJC page.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Has anybody got a GS suit that they could lend me for a one off race that I am doing in January?
One with the padded bits...they may be required with my "technique".

As it is a real one time thing I don't want to buy one...I'd pay the postage for a lend and happily make a charitable contribution to a charity of your choice.

I'm a L or XL
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saw the results from Solda posted up on the ISIA facebook page, 40 passed out of 187. Low, but quite normal I think?

https://snowonline.snowsport-altoadige.com/UPL_AREA/OFFICE/NEWS/2015/files/Erg_Eurotest_B_Solda_16-Nov-2015%281%29.pdf
https://snowonline.snowsport-altoadige.com/UPL_AREA/OFFICE/NEWS/2015/files/Erg_Eurotest_A_Solda_16-Nov-2015%281%29.pdf
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pass rate is pretty typical but the test sounded very difficult..

in other news 5 injured out of 18 in our camp this past week. two concussions, two ACJ shoulders and a light MCL tear. all should be back in a week or so..
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
and ADH cancelled two years in a row, a lot of very bummed trainees who spent a lot of time and money cant compete. Why isn't BASI allowed to run an ET in Tignes or Saas Fee where all the trainees (and Openers) are located at the end of Nov is beyond me...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skimottaret, do Tignes charge more than ADH per chance??
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nope, the French won't recognise the results of tests run on "foreign" grounds, BASI tried to organise an ET in Zinal on neutral ground a few years ago but abandoned the effort. BASI has tried to run ET's in Scotland and two of the last three were cancelled due to bad conditions and the one that was run had 0 passes. Tignes actually offer discounted lift passes for ISIA level trainees, they run FIS races there and would ideal for a Brit ET. Same in Pila or 3 V's
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do instructor governing bodies have to only run Eurotests in their own country ?

Tignes has run FIS GS races on the glacier in the past, I think it needed to start from the very top and continue onto champagny to get the length.

Saas-Fee only seems to have a homologation for SL at present.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skimottaret, You couldn't have run a Eurotest in Pila this year and conditions in Val Thorens were reported to be really bad.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rjs, There is an agreed ET test venue list. The French list states Alp D'Huez, Morzine & Le Menuires.

Not really sure why the other regional venues where the French run tests that can only be entered by French nationals are not included Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ASAIK the French refuse to accept results from lowland associations that want to run tests on EU mountains, effectively precluding most instructor associations from running their own and thereby holding power over how and where the tests are run.

Didnt know that Saas only had SL homologation thanks for pointing that out. Would you know if Zinal has GS homologation?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:
Would you know if Zinal has GS homologation?

Zinal must have as they run FIS GS races there.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
yeah thought so but also thought Saas did as well Wink
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
and ADH cancelled two years in a row, a lot of very bummed trainees who spent a lot of time and money cant compete. Why isn't BASI allowed to run an ET in Tignes or Saas Fee where all the trainees (and Openers) are located at the end of Nov is beyond me...

Or why the French themselves don't relocate the December test from Alpe d'Huez to Tignes. The whole autumn training pattern is thrown if there isn't a reliable test to attend at the end of it. Pre Christmas tests need to be on areas with a glacier I think. Alpe d'Huez has one I believe they used a while back, but they aren't using it now as a backup when snow is insufficient low down.
latest report
@balernoStu,
So I'm going to be thread resurrecting here.
It's ''political'' where the Eurotests and Test Techniques are run. It is well-regarded to have one in your skiing area, and they are not in the places that can assure the best conditions but in places where the local organisers (ESF skischool of the area) have other fonctions within ENSM/Jeunesse et Sports/other deciding superceding structures.
I had my first eurotest yesterday in Les Menuires and was 1'15'' out. I did manage to pass 2 different ''tests blancs'' / mock Eurotests with 1 official opener and fail a third the past couple months. Browsing this thread for inspiration this morning.
I have done SL training to pass the test technique (feb 2022) and started some GS last season.
This seasons training :
--2 very snow weeks Hintertux training in November 23
--3 sunny days in Tignes december 23
--2 weeks ski school offered in La Plagne january 23
--3 days on the slope of the exam in Les Menuires
So now, to decide which second eurotest I'll go to near the end of the season; either a) Alpe d'Huez end of march or b) Val Thorens end of april.
Val Thorens would mean more training time as it's about a month later but sharp openers having just finished the previous weeks Challenge des Moniteurs and a possibility to not reset the course even though giant ruts/ extrême spring conditions will make the 2nd run hard.
Training I will get to do the rest of this season:
-1 week feb before French school holidays
-2 weeks after, mid march-- then it's Alpe d'Huez
OR
-1 week feb before French school holidays
-3 weeks in March
-1 week in april - then it's Val Thorens
snow report
Good luck. That’s a good effort - just a matter of time and continued effort!
Honestly it’s probably best not to lose sleep over the permutations of what venue and when. So much of this is down to factors on the day. Everyone had theories back in day that openers got faster as season went on / particular difficult venues etc etc etc blah blah. I’m not so sure… just do your own thing….
snow conditions
JulieAimeLeSki wrote:

I had my first eurotest yesterday in Les Menuires and was 1'15'' out.

is that 1 minute, 15 seconds out (did you get lost?) or 1.15 seconds out?
snow conditions
@Jake, Thank you for the encouragement and advice, that's very kind.

@davidof, It is 1.15 seconds or 1 second 15 hundredths, written down incorrectly as I have a law degree, train to ski as fast as possible to keep teaching as I like this life, enjoy speaking multiple languages but clearly lack any and all mathematical or scientific knowledge/right reflexes and so mistakenly used ' " when a) it is apparently not the correct method to note a time and b) I then also succeeded in noting the time incorrectly as well.
Thank you for pointing the error out / the learning process.
ski holidays
Let us all know how it goes. The esf did training and mock tests etc there in the few prior to the tests..
Bon chance.
snow conditions
Excellent, 1.15 sounds very close
latest report
Les Menuires is a tough test, due to the amount of terrain and places you can lose time based on tactical choices. In the 10 years I was involved I don’t remember many BASI members passing there. I would recommend Alpe D Huez in March because the snow will hopefully be better and it’s a pretty straightforward hill. As long as you remember to push like crazy at the top so you don’t give any time away on the top 10 gates and let the skis run from the one steep section onto the long flat at the bottom there isn’t generally much tactical stuff to think about. The problem with then April tests is its often so slushy that if you are outside the top 15 bibs its a totally different test. You can usually train on the hill before the test also with the ESF. Good luck Smile
snow report
Jjc, are there many basi members bothering with L4 now after Brexit? Less of an incentive?
I’m quite out of touch these days..
snow conditions
@Jake, you can still take the ISIA speedtest and gain L4 recognition, but my understanding is that's not recognised in France and Austria.

Just to play devil's advocate, you'd have to ask what the purpose will be for BASI going forward if they aren't able to get eurotest recognition added back in? Their members will never get full recognition in France and Austria.
snow report
^^^ a lot of the issue is actually once you achieve you L4 is then being able to legally work in places like France as in France we are self employed and therefore you cant get work visas / permits etc when being self employed so unless you have an EU passport then you can have the licence but not able to legally work. Swings and roundabouts!
snow conditions
Steve Angus wrote:
^^^ a lot of the issue is actually once you achieve you L4 is then being able to legally work in places like France as in France we are self employed and therefore you cant get work visas / permits etc when being self employed so unless you have an EU passport then you can have the licence but not able to legally work. Swings and roundabouts!

Not true! I have taught self employed in France the last 3 winters with a self employed work visa in my British passport.
ski holidays
snowrider wrote:
Steve Angus wrote:

Not true! I have taught self employed in France the last 3 winters with a self employed work visa in my British passport.

Well everyone I speak to seems to be doing something wrong then as thats what I keep hearing! Not my area of expertise as I have a CDS but just what colleagues seem to be talking about over the last few years
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
swskier wrote:
@Jake, you can still take the ISIA speedtest and gain L4 recognition, but my understanding is that's not recognised in France and Austria.

Just to play devil's advocate, you'd have to ask what the purpose will be for BASI going forward if they aren't able to get eurotest recognition added back in? Their members will never get full recognition in France and Austria.

As I understand it, on getting the Eurotest you can immediately apply for a Carte Pro in France.

Having just the L4 (or even L3) means you have to gain a certain number of years experience (3 for non Brexit countries) before applying, and will probably need to get lawyered up.
snow report
@davidof, do you mean a L4 Inc eurotest to then apply for the Carte Pro?

Or do you mean you can apply for a carte pro with a eurotest despite not having finished all L4 exams?
latest report
@swskier, yes L4 + Eurotest (CTT)
latest report
snowrider wrote:
Steve Angus wrote:

Are you sure you were legal? Do you have the Carte Pro, even?
snow report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
snowrider wrote:
Steve Angus wrote:

Are you sure you were legal? Do you have the Carte Pro, even?

Yes definitely legal. Yes I have a Carte Pro, I would not have been issued a Visa if I didn't have a Carte Pro. I have been teaching in France for 17 years. Since Brexit I have had to apply for a Work Visa each year as I chose not to apply for a Carte de Sejour, as I did not wish to become French resident.
I know of about 20 other British Instructors who are working with a self employed work visa so it is a definite option for those who obtained a Carte Pro pre Brexit.
I also know plenty of British Instructors that got a Carte de Sejour, but are not declaring their worldwide income in France. They are the illegal ones committing tax evasion.....
snow conditions
No where near as many, but some still going through the process despite the challenges on becoming qualified. Pathways do exist but as I understand it, being invited to do a Eurostest and then getting a carte pro now comes with some extra steps. There have been at least one or two who have managed to do this but depends on passports etc. Once you do have a carte pro then visas are definitely possible if France is the goal and CDS also subject to other criteria’s. Tax also is based on individual circumstances and would vary depending on lots of factors, so best not to make assumptions. So all in all it’s still all possible just a lot more complicated.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy