Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

North America over New Year

Poster: A snowHead
Lechbob, quality slope-side lodgings would be great, but not at the expense of the skiing. To me being slope-side enables me to ski without the logistics of shuttles etc. However nice Aspen might be, I was under the impression that Snowmass doesn't have that character. Are you saying that Snowmass beats BC but Vail beats Aspen overall?

skiberg, we were already thinking what you said about Aspen airport and this confirms it. If we did go to Aspen we would be relying on transfers from Denver (don't know if our marriage would survive us driving 4 hours in the mountains in winter).

Was fairly close to deciding that we stay in BC, and ski there initially before spending more time in Vail proper after New Year. Is New Year a public holiday in USA? Will the crowds drop off from then, even though it's a Thursday?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dibergio wrote:
Are you saying that Snowmass beats BC but Vail beats Aspen overall?

Is ice cream better than chocolate?

All are great places to ski.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Chocolate ice cream!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dibergio wrote:
Lechbob, quality slope-side lodgings would be great, but not at the expense of the skiing. To me being slope-side enables me to ski without the logistics of shuttles etc. However nice Aspen might be, I was under the impression that Snowmass doesn't have that character. Are you saying that Snowmass beats BC but Vail beats Aspen overall?

IMHO the skiing in Aspen is OK if you alternate skiing each hill for variety.
IMHO for a skier of modest ability, Vail is the best ski area, certainly the biggest with enough skiing for a week & Beaver Creek is only minutes away to put the icing on the cake. There is a lot of sentiment against Vail which I don't understand. I have skied BC after a 10" snowfall & we had it almost to ourselves until a squadron of piste bashers in formation ruined it so we went for a great lunch of prime rib on the mountain at reasonable cost for the quality. It is a great place to ski but unless you are minted it is extravagant to stay there at New Year.

For me the best option is to stay in Dillon with a stunning view over the lake (or Silverthorne or Frisco), leave the skis in the back of the Hummer and each morning drive 30 minutes or so to the base of a different hill & armed with the epic pass ski: A-Basin, Keystone, Breckinridge, Vail & Beaver Creek.
It may be nice to stay at BC if money is no object but NY is early in the season best wait till you can go another time for more chance of better snow & more reasonable prices. If you live in Europe go to Zermatt or wherever for NY.

abc wrote:

At the S11BB in Arabba we can have ice cream with chocolate on top as well a bombardinos.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

stay in Dillon with a stunning view over the lake (or Silverthorne or Frisco), leave the skis in the back of the Hummer and each morning drive 30 minutes or so to the base of a different hill & armed with the epic pass ski: A-Basin, Keystone, Breckinridge, Vail & Beaver Creek.

During the New Year peroid, many of those other places (Brekenridge, Keystone, Vail) will be mobbed. So will the highwway getting there!

Not to mention, there's Vail pass which often closes after major storms, turning your 30min drive into a 3 hr one.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As for getting to Aspen, you have to choose between two evils. Flying is a lot more convinient. The first time I flew in, I was impressed. Landing, taxi, room! So civilized. But then, my flight out was cancelled. A crowd milling about at the airport aimlessly waiting for news on when it will be open again. I knew the storm was only starting and decided to hire a car and drive to Denver. Another passenger thought the same and we teamed up in a SUV. Yes, the drive was hairy to say the least. Doing it in the dark didn't help.

But in good weather and clear roads? It's a breeze. Fabulous scenery too.

Beaver Creek saves all that drama. Much easier to get to either by road or flying directly in. Less affected by weather. (still, Vail pass could close after big storm, keep that in mind)

On the other hand, scenery in Aspen is quite spectacular. Vail/BC? Just a bunch of rounded hills...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dibergio wrote:
Is New Year a public holiday in USA?

Well, yes of course!

Quote:
Will the crowds drop off from then, even though it's a Thursday?

Probably not until Sunday. Especially the Denver locals will most likely come Thursday and ski till Sunday.

Vail is a big mountain, crowd is not as much a problem as in the other mountains. You may have to queue a few minutes for the lift (N.A. lift queues are highly orderly & civilized). But once you're on the mountain, there's vast terrain for you to get away from the crowd.

Beaver Creek never seem to get too busy. BTW, BC's big marketing point is their easier trails are on the top of the mountain so beginners gets to see the view rather than being stuck at the bottom of the hill.

I would strongly suggest getting a few lessons during your stay. (Lesson also let you cut the lift line) Vail in particular is far more enjoyable when you can comfortably tackle the "tricky reds" (blue in N.A.). Then, you can take the free Mountain Tour, that's when they show you which part of the mountain is quieter and which lift never has queues! Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abc wrote:
...Flying is a lot more convenient. .... Vail/BC? Just a bunch of rounded hills...

Well it may be if you're taking your own G5. Otherwise you're going to be pushed to find a connection through somewhere else which is actually convenient, I'd say.

Everyone factors these things differently though.

On that last, quite, but there's plenty of demand for that.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
philwig wrote:
you're going to be pushed to find a connection through somewhere else which is actually convenient .

It's the classic tour op vs DIY debate with a minor twist.

For a DIY'er, it's a complete no brainer "finding" that connection! Just a few clicks of the mouse!!!

That extra convinient may cost you extra, or may even come out ahead of the van transport expense.

But tour ops may not have that on their offer and they may demand extra?

The actual connection when it comes time, is a factor largely dictated by weather. In good weather, flying into Aspen beats driving in time and hassle. In really bad weather, both are difficult. In between weather that grounds flight but doesn't close the pass, ground transport wins. So, pick your poison.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The flight cost was the same to Aspen as to Denver, plenty of options from LHR via ATL,CLT,DFW,DEN,MSP,ORD,LAX etc. take your pick.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have done the CO ski trip thing probably 10-15 times. I will never ever fly into the Aspen airport again. It is just not worth it. Flying into Vail Eagle is a good option however, as its only about 1 hour to Aspen and that airport is very rarely closed on account of snow. It sits in a relatively warm sunny valley. Pretty easy transfer to Aspen.

If you are not a very accomplished skier Snowmass can be a good option. Plenty of moderate slopes. This is not Europe. Pistes are everywhere and they are well maintained, expertly groomed and signage is excellent. Plenty to ski below tree-line if a storm whips up. Views are nice, not great and town has a bit of a CO western cowboy feel.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc wrote:
It's the classic tour op vs DIY debate with a minor twist.

For a DIY'er, it's a complete no brainer "finding" that connection! Just a few clicks of the mouse!!!

Oh, I was assuming we were talking about scheduled flights, that's what I'd checked up on before posting.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FYI walk up lift passes are outrageously expensive at both resorts. $125 per day US!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skiberg wrote:
FYI walk up lift passes are outrageously expensive at both resorts. $125 per day US!

You can usually get a "package" with the lodging.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes of course but it drives the overall cost up quite a bit.
snow conditions
skiberg wrote:
Yes of course but it drives the overall cost up quite a bit.

Huh?

You can't ski without paying for lift pass. And you aren't going to get it for free. The question is which way cost less.

You've correctly pointed out it's expensive to walk up to the window to purchase daily ticket. Getting lift pass with lodging yield a considerable saving. If you have better suggestion, you should spell it out. (you've listed a lot of what NOT to do. It would be a lot more helpful to suggest what else to do instead)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 9-09-14 18:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
skiberg wrote:
I have done the CO ski trip thing probably 10-15 times. I will never ever fly into the Aspen airport again. It is just not worth it. Flying into Vail Eagle is a good option however, as its only about 1 hour to Aspen and that airport is very rarely closed on account of snow. It sits in a relatively warm sunny valley. Pretty easy transfer to Aspen.

I suppose it gets you to the right side of the continental divide. I guess they close the runway less as it is 1000 foot longer than at Aspen and has some equipment for ILS. Eagle was listed #8 extreme airport by the History Channel, I think they didn't research too hard. It's not in the same league as Lukla and I would fly to Lukla rather than go by road on my way to Everest.
I'd take my chance flying into Aspen, after all I would fly into Chambéry in preference to the drag to the 3V's from Geneva.
latest report
Quote:

one house amour plated with slits for windows

Shocked Shocked Wow!

- Or maybe that was ARMOUR-plated.
latest report
Simple, if lift tickets cost more and you package lift tickets with lodging, then the overall cost will be more. Second, lift and lodging packages are not as common stateside as in Europe. In the states, when you buy a package it tends to be driven by the resorts vacation sales office and is generally much more expensive then buying lodging on your own. There are no Chalet style accommodations in the States.So either stay in a hotel that offers a package with lodging, that is not sold through the resort sales office, or stay wherever you prefer, but don't buy a walk up ticket at those resorts. Buy tickets online at a discount and bring the coupon to the ticket office.
snow report
Acacia, Very Happy
snow conditions
Skiworld have chalets in Breckenridge & Vail, very nice too. AmericanSkiClassics got me a great deal on a tailor made flights, accommodation & lift ticket package. With a little research you can get reduce price lift tickets. Epic season passes are good value as is the Rocky Mountain Pass if you are going for more than a few days.
snow report
Quote:

In the states, when you buy a package it tends to be driven by the resorts vacation sales office and is generally much more expensive then buying lodging on your own.

That had not been my experience.

Sometimes a package sold directly by a hotel is cheaper. Other times the package from the resort sales office is cheaper. It varies by resort and by time of year. There's no "generally" pattern that fits all (or even fits most).

Further more, typically slopeside lodgings are controlled by the resort's sales office so there's no comparison of the cost. Off slope lodging may be cheaper but then we're comparing apples and oranges.
snow report
Well in the end we booked in to The Charter in Beaver Creek. Seemed to be the best combination of our requirements. We are getting an Epic pass so will look to hit Vail for a few days after NYE.

Only a touch over 3 months!
snow report
skiberg wrote:

Nope $139 a day at Vail/BC last New Year. Kids being a relative bargain at $99. Still if you're buying day passes you're doing it wrong or are not very price sensitive.
ski holidays
Dibergio, Going green
ski holidays
Have you considered New England. The states of New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont have huge ski areas and really good hotels. Lots of gliding down tree lined runs. Early and masses of snow. They spend a lot on grooming and any potential worn patches are covered by cannons. Its real Christmas card stuff. Lights cover the place. Some of my best holidays have been here. The people are so friendly I thought they were being over the top until I realised that's how they are all of the time. There are tons of resorts to chose from and some are very close to each other where you can travel from one to the other. Virgin ski do holidays to New England take a look. They are well within your budget. Or have a look at Bretton woods Mount Washington Hotel. It was great when I was there. Want to go back.
snow report
Coops*, Nice, but the OP has already booked wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy