Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gadget appeal

Poster: A snowHead
An appeal to the collective snowHead brain. All suggestions gratefully received.
For a design project, the lad has to come up with the plans for a device of some sort; it's a gap in the market type goal. He's 17 and right into skiing so it makes sense that he looks for something to do with sliding down hills.
Any thoughts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is always 'build-a-better-ski-lock'. Not very imaginative, but there are plenty in the market with obvious flaws you can highlight and try to design out. Functional requirements are straight forward.

Or what about a design for a portable up-hill tow system which can be set-up on any snowy hill for a day. He can look at current tow/drag systems, work out price points, portability, powering and gearing, etc.

I did have an idea about improving avalanche detector technology but it's not really a design project per se, more electrical/software engineering.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Biggest gap in the market for skiers is superstrength/capacity toenail clippers to keep the hideous toenail double thickness growth, that you get after too much boot bang, under control.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Big Paua, propulsion for snowboarders to stop them whining on long flat runouts?

Couard effect fan? Small turbojet?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A slope gradient meter.

Simple objective, few existing products.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
there must be an app for that? Wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name, speaking for 'My People', we'd prefer the simplicity of pulse-jet technology....
We leave 'Needlessly complex' for skiers Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think there's scope for a product crossing the technology of Ski Boots with that of Light Sabres to produce integral 'Light Skis'. And just to make it fashionable with da kidz, a phone app to adjust the 'ski' width/length - tadah!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Something that bugs me is the difficulties of using a mobile phone when skiing.

- When stuffed away in a pocket I can never hear it ringing,
- and even if I do by the time I stop, take of my gloves and unzip the pocket i've always missed the call,
- and I can never see who's called on the screen because there's too much light about.

Maybe the answer is a bluetooth headset built into a helmet, maybe it's a google glass type insert in ski googles, maybe it's something else. I do know that the rush towards smartwatches isn't the answer as they're harder to get at than a mobile phone is.

It certainly seems to be the kind of thing where there's scope to identify the challenges, come up with a few design ideas and maybe prototype the best one.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richard_Sideways, but noisy. The French would ban them. You'd probably have to wear speedos as well.

olderscot, "bluetooth headset built into a helmet" exists I believe. Personally, I just let the phone ring and return the call if I feel like it at my convenience.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name, noisy, simple and hated by the French; snowboarding and pulse jets - a match made in heaven
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some off the top of my head, some may have been tried.
Boot carriers
Ski carriers
Dremal ski edge sharpener
Boot drier maybe chemical based
Adjustable ski pole basket from ice to powder
Adjustable ski pole, may be curved at the top with a long long grip and a floating strap
Hydrator that won't freeze maybe with a heater, solar powered?
Something other than glasses to help the shortsighted read piste maps
Something to stop ski boots leaking
Inflatable socks
Knee warmers
Something to stop A framing
Pressure gauge that goes in the boot to determine where a persons centre of mass is.
A balaclava that's thick on the head and thin over the face
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
olderscot, i met a guy in Italy this spring that had a very fancy helmet. It had a visor that doubled up as a screen. He said he felt like The Terminator whenit was working. It had GPS and you could download piste maps onto it. It could show where you were on the hill, and if you had buddies with GPS phones, it would show their location too. It showed any emails or text messages you received on the screen too, weather warnings etc. All very James Bond.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dode, sounds like military technology.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jbob, if its the Italian military, it'll prioritise the nearest escape routes. *BADUM TSH!*
snow report
dode, I thought the idea of going in to the mountains was to get away from all that!! Eh oh!
Dave of the Marmottes, I definitely need the super strength toe clippers in my life Big Wink
What about goggles the wont steam up, spent a small fortune on some goggles this year, but still misted up while skiing in a snowstorm, maybe with an airflow across the inside of the goggles Idea
snow conditions
Bartezki, Smith optics do some with a little fan built in Cool
ski holidays
Bartezki, you mean these? http://www.backcountry.com/smith-phenom-turbo-fan-goggle

What have you got that are so steamy? Decent goggles, used properly, should not steam up. Do you push them up onto your hat or helmet? Goggles should be on your face or off entirely. Nowhere else.
latest report
Richard_Sideways, I have an unconventional view on the Italian military. In the Great War they were regarded as brave to the point of foolhardiness. In WW2 they had the good sense to realise the game was up, much better than get your country completely destroyed. I admit they didn't cover themselves in glory in Africa. When the war is lost, the sooner you sue for peace the better.
snow report
dode, probably a version of this. http://uk.oakley.com/products/7283/28220

jbob,

Boot carriers - I find wearing them is the best option
Ski carriers - I find skiing on them is the best option
Dremal ski edge sharpener - Could be a good idea
Boot drier maybe chemical based - I find a heated boot bag is the best option
Adjustable ski pole basket from ice to powder - Maybe
Adjustable ski pole, may be curved at the top with a long long grip and a floating strap - You can get adjustable ski poles already
Hydrator that won't freeze maybe with a heater, solar powered? - Just fill it with Vodka, has to be pretty cold to freeze that
Something other than glasses to help the shortsighted read piste maps - Who needs a pist map, lift up, ski down
Something to stop ski boots leaking - Good ski boots
Inflatable socks - Errrrr why?
Knee warmers - Better trousers, pants, thermal layer
Something to stop A framing - Lessons
Pressure gauge that goes in the boot to determine where a persons centre of mass is. - My feet do that job for me
A balaclava that's thick on the head and thin over the face - planning on robbing a bank?

Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Quote:

Who needs a pist map, lift up, ski down

I know a fair few people who have had very expensive taxi rides by using that principle - knowing how to get back to your resort at end of day is sometimes needed

Quote:

Inflatable socks - Errrrr why

yes I'm intrigued by that one!!!
snow report
ansta1, yup, same idea
snow report
Boris, i can't think of a single area complicated enough that either I've never got lost or more importantly, checked and carried at least the critical part of the map with me.
snow conditions
ansta1, thanks, when I'm in creative mode I never second guess.

I did once see a dremal chainsaw sharpener, the key would be control and maintaining an accurate angle.
I don't like telescopic poles, they have let me down, literally, in some difficult places, I was thinking more a solid pole that was useable at varying lengths but still having a wrist strap, personally I have stopped using wrist straps altogether.
With the hydrator, the issue is with the tube not the bag, freezing is a significant problem for tourers, I fill mine with hot lemon in the hut and have a warm back in the cold dark hours of early morning. Many guides frown on hydrators for this reason, but their use is helpful on preventing dehydration, when it's a faff to get a water bottle out of your sac.
Inflatable socks could solve one of the most talked about issues on snowheads, boot fit.
A framing is as common as being in the back seat, a gadget might help fix it, I would see it as a teaching aid, not for full time use. They are probably the biggest challenges in improving ski technique, many instructors struggle to correct A framing and perfect weight distribution.
It's where the money is.
ski holidays
Stickers. Yes, stickers that stay on skis when they're wet or when people walk over them in lift queues, but then peel off easily without leaving residue when you've finished. This product (for writing names on hire and kids kit) does not seem to exist but it would be very practical and earn someone a fortune.

Alternatively, in order of potential difficulty wink
1) a proximity alarm for skis - or even just pens - so you know when someone is walking away with yours.
2) helmet / backpack with integrated solar panels and wireless charging so your phone never dies..
3) Fully automated system for heating and stretching boot shells. Smile
snow report
olderscot wrote:
Something that bugs me is the difficulties of using a mobile phone when skiing.

- When stuffed away in a pocket I can never hear it ringing,
- and even if I do by the time I stop, take of my gloves and unzip the pocket i've always missed the call,
- and I can never see who's called on the screen because there's too much light about.

Maybe the answer is a bluetooth headset built into a helmet, maybe it's a google glass type insert in ski googles, maybe it's something else. I do know that the rush towards smartwatches isn't the answer as they're harder to get at than a mobile phone is.

It certainly seems to be the kind of thing where there's scope to identify the challenges, come up with a few design ideas and maybe prototype the best one.

Oakley have beaten you to that, £499 if i remember correctly. iPhone integration
snow report
I've often wondered about folding skis. A section either side of the binding that slides out and folds under the base (a bit like the tent pole arrangement). Make it easier to transport skis in standard hold luggage.
ski holidays
Levi215, not just Oakley, the company is called Recon Instruments and works in partnership with other brands too, there's a thread on here where one of their staff participates.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
albinomountainbadger, Ah cool, i've only seen them on the apple homepage so limited knowledge, good to know though looks like cool stuff but £500 can buy some other stuff which is potentially better, like a cheap week away Wink
snow report
Thing for finding your ski when it comes off in powder...

~snigger~
snow conditions
Levi215 wrote:
albinomountainbadger, Ah cool, i've only seen them on the apple homepage so limited knowledge, good to know though looks like cool stuff but £500 can buy some other stuff which is potentially better, like a cheap week away Wink

Noooooooo, it's so much more important to spend money on kit, gear, gadgets and stuff. How on earth can you look like a god when you are snow ploughing down the hill if you haven't got 1k plus of clothes, 2k of equipment, 2k of add on gadgets and I haven't even started on the lunch/apres conversations and envy you will get of you are "kitted to hilt"

Who actually needs to ski or board to look like a ski or boarding god after all....
snow conditions
How about a better buckle for clipping your helmet under your chin? How many times do we all struggle to click it in with gloves on, or adjust the length of the strap so that it won't come off but isn't too tight/loose. At the moment it's a right old fiddle.
I know it's not the most exciting thing suggested, but I find any "gadgets" which are merely something more to carry then get out and strap to skis etc. don't "solve" a problem, they just create more!
ski holidays
ansta1, haha Very Happy you can have all the gear without spending £500 on a pair of goggles Wink

Ski / Boarding gods wear Dragon anyway Wink
latest report
altis wrote:

How about this, not seen any for a long time and I think they worked on a different frequency to the standard transmit setting of the Ortovox transciever.

Maybe an updated one that worked with digital transcievers, if you can send pulse information then it should be easy enough to send some other identification too.
snow report
I'm not exactly sure how it would work, but what about some way of transferring heat from your core to extremities?
Sometimes my feet and/or hands have been freezing (a problem that women are more susceptible to according to QI!). I think you can get heated gloves and boots (or I dreamed about it!), but something that didn't take power? Maybe some sort of insulating underlayer that could transfer heat from the core down the arms to the hands.

I might be in dreamland here... ignore me!
latest report
ansta1, hehehe, that reminds me of an old guy up Cairngorm saying to a youngster with all the bling... "You just need to ski good to look good son, ski good to look good" Laughing
snow report
altis wrote:

~snigger~

Already exists: it's called a guide.
snow report
altis wrote:

~snigger~

Resqski
ski holidays
thebronsonite wrote:
I'm not exactly sure how it would work, but what about some way of transferring heat from your core to extremities?

I might be in dreamland here... ignore me!

It's been done, it's called Brandy. Very Happy

Mind it can cause heart failure if it's cold enough Puzzled
latest report
jbob, Haha Very Happy Good point!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy