Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with ski test shortlist needed

Poster: A snowHead
snowbunny,

You've sussed me at last... Easiski told you didn't she...?? Embarassed
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JT,
Quote:

You've sussed me at last... Easiski told you didn't she...??

I made an (un)educated guess Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT wrote:
Dave Burt,

You can take it that way but I said advanced skills not nessecarily advanced skier. It all starts to get a bit foggy the more you ski

Not sure that I understand the difference between someone with advanced skiing skills and an advanced skier - isn't the latter a consequence of the former?

To my mind anyone from around ski instructor standard up to professional racer is 'advanced'. Anyone below instructor standard but more than a few weeks on skis is intermediate. Anyone upto 4 or 5 weeks (maybe more, depending on the person) is a beginner. Very simplistic I know, but I just don't think it's possible for me (or in fact many people who start as adults) to become an advanced skier by skiing just a couple of weeks a year.

JT wrote:
Dave Burt,

if I saw you ski I'd know better one way or another, I think.

Maybe at the EOSB! Then you will see just how intermediate I am (particularly if we've got ice/slush conditions)!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dave Burt,

Ok, we are a bit out of sync with our definitions, no problem
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Parlor

JT wrote,
Quote:
I don't ski on piste and I think 80mm is enough...

Parlor wrote

Quote:
typo? Sounds like you stick to the piste.

If you want to call me liar I'm not concerned, just remind me of which shop you work in in Verbier and I'll remind myself not to shop there
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowbunny wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER,
Quote:

I spend 40% of my season on a Dynastar Speed 63, would that make you giggle?

It did make me smile Very Happy I really expected, you to say Karma's Very Happy What about the other 60%?

The other 40% on the Karma then 20% on my Apache Chiefs. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER,
Quote:

The other 40% on the Karma then 20% on my Apache Chiefs.

So, wiiide skis then, and I see that I was not too far out with my guesswork Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[quote="Dave Burt"][, I will never have any desire or need to enter a terrain park - so what would be the point of getting twin tips? [quote]

Because they make the greatest rooster tails wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT, not sure why you think I'd be calling you a liar. Puzzled I was just questioning the statement. I ski piste. I don't know many people that don't ski on pistes, that's all... And on skinny skis too, you are good. Wink And I don't work in a shop. I run a chalet with my wife. I'm a chef. Ski all day, 6 days per week... Very Happy

Dave Burt, I wasn't using the mobile phone as an analogy, just a little insightful probe... Twisted Evil Since you made it an analogy, I'd say it's quite a good one. You're a little a little scared of advancement ('recently switched to carvers' and your older style mobile phone). This isn’t a bad thing. To ski the skis I was suggesting you would need a quite modern technique, wide stance & long, carved turns etc. Would you consider this to be the way you ski?

BTW I have an older style mobile phone, no colour screen, mp3, camera or toys for me. But not out of choice... Twisted Evil

I wasn't suggesting twin tips because I think you should have a twin tip (the B3 & B4 aren't twins). They are 'all-mountain' skis. When skied right you can enjoy the whole mountain, weird huh? Imagine a Volkl Supersport 6* that can "kick it" off piste. You get the Volkl Karma. You have to try something, maybe a Prophet 80s, a we 80mm underfoot Evil or Very Mad), but nice and forgiving all round. You were asking for a ski that would make off piste fun without sacrifice on piste, try it. NehNeh Wink Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
parlor, why the insistance on going wider? I read a lot of people in various places saying they ski 50% off piste, or higher. You then ask them, and it's "50% off piste if it's clear blue sky and a perfect powder day", if you actually analysed their runs, you'd find it was 25% or less of their total time was spent off prepared runs, and the amount of time spent in decent powder is considerably less. That's why I think it's ridiculous to suggest something like a B4 as a one ski solution for a <4 week a year skier, who is probably going to be spending a lot of time in resorts and on runs not particularly famous for being bottomless pow.
And by putting a skier on something like a B4, you're going to be slowing down his ability to improve on-piste.

What I'm saying is that maybe YOU (and SZK) should try skiing on something of a <70mm width, and enjoy the fun that can be had there!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think this descussion has gone on long enough. We'll have to agree to differ. Testing ski's is part of my job. Skiing, part of my life. This is what i do and am happy to help those open minded enough to negociate the marketing mine-field in order to help you get value for money. My opinions are mine, i'll express them here and i'll pull no punches. We no longer buy long, straight skinny skis, technology and the consumer have moved on. After, you make your choice. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
All I'm saying, if you really read my posts carefully, is try something new. You don't have to ski all my recommendations, just see what works for you. OK the B4 is a wide ski, how will you really know you're not going to like it until you've tried it, by testing something that is too wide for you, you can be comfortable that you have made the right choice.

When I'm testing something (skis, cars, whatever) I test a spectrum of different products and then choose the one that most suits me & my needs. Often the recommendations on here are for skis that prima facie are the same thing. Why are so many against what I'm saying? Different does not equal bad.

I'm just trying to get people to push the envelope a little bit. How many people would continue to stay on the piste if they could have a tool that would allow them to ski in the same way off the piste - and I'm not talking powder, just general off piste conditions. Suddenly the whole hill becomes your playground.

I still ski on skinny skis, we have a retro day Wink No really, I quite like taking a pair of Omne Carve out and Biggie confessed to skiing skinnies above too ^ pay attention Wink.

Are my recommendations, as someone that skis 5 months of every year on a reasonable range of different skis less valid than yours? You may believe your conservative recommendations are more accurate than mine but I'm allowed to play devils advocate. There are some people on this forum that will nail someone else’s ski suggestions quite well, some of the advice will be ultra conservative and then mine will be at the other end. If someone like Dave then skis are range of these recommended skis he will make the most informed decision he can.

I've said it before and I'm going to change my signature to reinforce this, I'm going to try and get you to ski something 10mm wider and 10cm longer than you might otherwise, it's in my nature.

I'm not a bad person... Twisted Evil NehNeh Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, could I suggest that YOU try somethign new:
Head iXRC1200SW (66mm waist) - just to see what it's like to have piste performance as part of your quiver
Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous (78mm waist)
Atomic Metron B5 (76mm waist) - this ski was probably the best ski of last year among advanced/expert skiers around the world, but I guess you know better than them!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
the best ski of last year among advanced/expert skiers

'Best' is an opinion. It is only 'best' because of a majority of opinions. It isn't a fact, and it doesn't help anyone. Likewise, that goes for poeple advocating wide skis for everyone.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, could I suggest that YOU try somethign new:
Head iXRC1200SW (66mm waist) - just to see what it's like to have piste performance as part of your quiver
Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous (78mm waist)
Atomic Metron B5 (76mm waist) - this ski was probably the best ski of last year among advanced/expert skiers around the world, but I guess you know better than them!

Have done, no bad skis out there, i spend January with the manufacturers each year in test and development for the following year.

I work consulantcy for Nordica, so know a littlel about their skis and could embarasse you there with a few facts.

Metron????????? Keep your Mono-Coque skis, they die with every turn.
Twisted Evil
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

Thats a good point, never tried them so enlighten... And how are Nordica's different to the metron contruction wise, if at all, as the shape is similar, isn't it?
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, yes, please enlighten me. I'm always keen to learn new information, and try new ideas. Which Nordica manager do you deal with, by the way?

mark_s, I agree with you, it is only considered the best, because a majority of people said so, that doesn't make it the best for everyone.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, yes, please enlighten me. I'm always keen to learn new information, and try new ideas. Which Nordica manager do you deal with, by the way?

mark_s, I agree with you, it is only considered the best, because a majority of people said so, that doesn't make it the best for everyone.

I'll try and help, what do you want to know?
Stephano, you know him?
ski holidays
There's only going to be one way to sort this out,

SmallZooKeeper and Foxy with the ski of their choice at fifty paces. Two falls, one submission or a knockout. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I think that challenge was made and ignored wink (page 2 of this thread)

Wear The Fox Hat,
said
Quote:
Or better yet, put your money where your mouth is, and come ski some real powder with me in January. I'll be at the indoor slope in Alta/Snowbird.
snow report
I'll give him three free shots, then i'll redecorate. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Let's make it fair, Foxy can decide what he skis on and what skis Biggie uses...
snow conditions
It's good to have some strong opinions but to adda little balance:

I can still remember when I took my new Atomic Betaride 9.22 into powder for the first time - it was so easy it felt like cheating. I actually debated with myself whether it WAS cheating and concluded that I didn't care IT WAS A LOT OF FUN.

Those skis were 180cm and 72mm waist but shaped (22m radius). They said EXTRA-WIDE BODY on the side-walls! I guess they were compared to the 200cm K2 SLRs I'd was on before.

Since then I've only skied on about 5 different designs. The fatest would be Bandit XXX which I guess are not even that fat these days. My current skis have a 75mm waist - they seem to float very easily in 18 inches which is as deep as I've been lucky enough to get. As I still like making short turns from time to time, I think that 75mm is a good trade-off. That said, I doubt 80mm would feel too sluggish either. I did find the XXX's a bit thuggy and crude but I suspect B4s (or whatever) are much better.

As intermediate/advanced skiier not wanting to carry around a "quiver" I'd have thought something not too stiff in the range 75-80mm waist and 16-22m radius would be a pretty good compromise. Unless you are sticking on-piste all the time, I can't see the point in going skinnier. But equally, unless you really don't make short/rebound type turns anymore, I'd have thought more than 80mm would be frustrating at times.

Just a perspective - and I do bow to others greater knowledge.

J
ski holidays
Of course I find off piste just fine on my Fischer RC4 world Cup SC's (118-66-99) Shocked Shocked (really)

snowbunny, I've written to Scott to ask why they don't make the Aztec any shorter! They do make the P2 in 151 and 161 though, which may be worth a try. Similar sidecut and width under the foot - a bit softer perhaps in the flex.

jedster, I remember a similar experience on those skis - they were great.
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
I work consulantcy for Nordica, so know a littlel about their skis and could embarasse you there with a few facts.

This is what I'm wanting enlightening on!

Embarasse me with your facts!
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
I think that challenge was made and ignored wink (page 2 of this thread)

Wear The Fox Hat,
said
Quote:
Or better yet, put your money where your mouth is, and come ski some real powder with me in January. I'll be at the indoor slope in Alta/Snowbird.

Glad someone is keeping up!
(I'm guessing you must be on narrower skis to do that) snowHead
ski holidays
Well thanks guys for all the suggestions and for such an informative thread. I will try to convince myself that I am able to ski a fatter ski, and I promise to try at least one fattie (on condition that I won't be expected to ski backwards or use words such as 'rip', 'pow' or 'dude' wink )

So my final short-list, no longer very short, comprises:

- Rossi Bandit B2 / B3
- Volkl Unlimited AC3
- K2 Apache Recon / Crossfire
- Atomic Metron B5
- Head Monster 72 / 77
- Salomon Scambler Hot Pilot
- Nordica Hot Rod Top Fuel / Eliminator
- Scott P3 / Aztec
- Line Prophet 80 Toofy Grin

I'll see how many I get through in the week, and I'll let you know how I get on! Thanks again.
snow report
Dave Burt, Problem is you've got 9 skis there to try, and it seems like you're going for a week????????? Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, I make it 14!
snow report
I think it's actually 14 skis! If I switch each morning and lunchtime, and skip a couple of lunch stops, I might just get though most of them! I guess it's unlikely that the hire shop will have all 14 anyway Shocked
snow conditions
Dave Burt, Try each one for a day and then by the time you get to the end of your list some of the 2007 models will be out Twisted Evil
latest report
Quite a thread you started! I think you're probably right as it's very unlikely you'll get to ski the Prophets, shame, it’s a good all mountain ski. You need a well stocked ski shop, even then they won't cover all of the brands on your list.

Do you really want to try 14 skis in 2 weeks, even for keeping an open mind this seems to be going a little far. Depending on how much time you want to spend on this, here's what I suggest

Go into as many of the ski shops that you can, check out the range but avoid any contact with techies yet, just eye up the skis. To test the widest range of skis you might have to choose two shops. Have a talk with the ski tech and see what they think, most guys on a ski sales rack in resorts have good first hand knowledge of the skis. You want demo skis so you can negotiate the cost of the 'hire' off the cost of the skis, so it would be more economical to stay with one shop. rolling eyes

You will get a better feel for a ski after skiing it for a day, although I can often tell straight away when I stand on a ski if I'm going to like it or not.

If you can make your choice by Thursday you can ski your new skis all day Friday. Very Happy

Apologies if I’m teaching you to suck eggs. Wink

Best of luck Dave.
snow report
Thanks for that parlor. I posted a question a couple of weeks ago asking for tips on ski-testing here, and these comments are really helpful.

The list above is not in any order of priority, so I promise I will try and fit the Prophets in, even if it's just for a couple of hours!
ski holidays
I'd find a shopw with a broad range of skis including a few from your list (even just 2 or 3). I'd then test those 2 or 3 and ask the shop for any alternative recommendations. Don't get bamboozled by bulletin boards or to anal about it. THere aren't many bad skis these days. You want to spend your holiday enjoying the skiing not rushing in and out of ski shops all week. Don't you?
latest report
And then you can spend all week writing up reviews.. Smile

You have a wide short list which will be reduced somewhat by not being able to find them. If you go early on this season the shops might not want to let out 2006's if the snow cover is not good. If you are stuck and need to streamline then pick the Head 77 over the 72 and the Recon over the Crossfire as I think their width with help off-piste excursions.... Laughing
ski holidays
Dave Burt, good list. I started a similar thread last year and got some of the same recommendations. To my eternal shame I only managed to try 2 pairs Embarassed but I'm planning on doing better this year. So I think I'll just copy-and-paste your list. Cheers!

(I still have the original list in my pocket just in case a freak snowstorm hits Camden and a store starts renting equipment. And mountains appear.)
snow conditions
Dave Burt, I'm in a similar postion from the sound of it, although I got a bit bored with all the quibbling about fat ski's or not. Puzzled

I'll open it up for some more advice.
I currently ski on a pair of Fischer Sceneo Air 2 - Size 170 - 108/75/88 - Which I bought about 4 years back because they were cheap and looked good (didn't do any research and have just found out they're a womans ski - Doh !!) I've still had some good fun on them but am ready for a new pair as they've seen better days and having tested a friends Crossmax last year which seemed so much more responsive on Piste.
I would say I'm intermediate-advanced - I'll ski any piste. I enjoy getting on the edge and carving but also like to get off-piste if it looks good (nothing too deep as I find it too tiring). I'm 5'11" and 13 Stone.

I tested some Apache Recons & Vokl 5* at MKynes the other day but forgot my boots and had to hire wellies (what a waste of time).
So my intentions are to hire for 3 or 4 Days in Sestriere (end Jan) and then buy.

My List is:

- K2 Apache Recon
- Atomic Metron M11
- Head Monster IM72
- Vokl 5*

I only want a list of 4 so if you have any suggestions please say which ones I should replace. Very Happy
latest report
Dave Burt, if you're still watching, I find my Rossi 9X Oversize to do pretty much all I want. I'm weird though, I've even taken them heliskiing. This years are wider tip and tail which I suspect will make them even more fun off piste.

In fact I'm so weird that I've just added FIS compliant WC SL and GS skis to my quiver list and I don't race anymore. (But watch this space, part of the long term plan...)

And, yes, I do want a pair of off piste skis too. Maybe something from Movement? Who knows? Who cares?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 21-12-05 18:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Pete1909, welcome to snowHeads.

Try a pair of Fisher RX8's. They're probably closer to the Volkl 5* than any other on that list, but with a bit more about them IMHO. But I'd try them in preference to any of the others on the list.

If you're just looking for a piste ski, I'd go more Slalom Carver ish. Atomics and Fisher do great ski's in that area too, although I have a pair of Dynamic VR27 SL's which would do that sort of job for you too.
snow report
Oh God!

Shame!

Burning Embarrassment!

I've done the 1st page/last page mixup again haven't I?

I still think fat skis are a fad...so there. So far all the ones I've tried have disappointed. But I'm happy to try again, and again, and again...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy