Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any views on Obertauern for Easter 2015?

Poster: A snowHead
Obertauern for Easter 2015? 4 adults of varying ability, 3 skiing kids and 1 non skiing almost 4 year old....good choice or not? Thanks x
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On the plus side snow sure, fast lifts and few queues
On the negative side its not the most beautiful village in Austria, not much shelter if the weathers bad and not the longest runs in the world
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I went Easter 200? and would very happily go back again.
Short transfer from Salzburg, many/most hotels are ski in/ski out.
Not a great vertical, but you can ski all around the resort in a circuit, so you get the feel that you are travelling and no two runs are the same.
No real difficult runs, lots of blue/red.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your replies guys, appreciate it. Would you know if there is much self catering accommodation?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Loop2, sorry - no idea, only been the once and we stayed in a hotel. Hotel Schneider - it was very, very nice!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Easter in Obertauern will be as good or better than most places in Austria. Not a load of self catering available but usually a very high standard. They tend to be apartments within hotels or pensions. The official Obertauern website is a very good place to do a search for availability. Easter is a big holiday in Austria with a lot also visiting from Germany so the prices are going to be at the high (High season) end.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here's a list of apartments.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hywel, I bump into you in a restaurant in Obertauern, and now on a thread on snowHeads about Obertauern. We must stop meeting like this Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ray Zorro, I remember it well. The snowheads sticker on your helmet was a perfect conversation starter.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Daughter went with school to Obertauern this Easter (April 11th) and had 1m of the white stuff dumped on them while they were there. On arrival the hotel owner had to get the digger out to clear the snow from the road before the coach could get in. By the photos taken, there was no need to be concerned about the lack snow. As you can imagine a whole mixed bag of abilities but everyone seemed to have been satisfied with the skiing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Garfield, has offered an excellent summary! Certainly a +1 from me!

We tend to go to Obertauern very late season (after 20th April) and very early season (about the 29th November).
Before that the higher resorts among Ski Amadé are still in very good condition. We always tend to get some kind of April dumping top-up too!

One thing to consider is that the ski passes in Ski Amadé around this time are free for children whilst Obertauern is still full price.
Accommodation is also not at a premium (like Obertauern) at this point so it may be worth considering some other resorts if you fancy a little bit of penny pinching wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all. Flangesax we stayed at Hintermoos last year and skiid Aberg with the same group of friends. They closed the lifts on the 5th April so was a bit concerned as we can;t fly till the 4th April this year. Any particular Ski Amade resort you would recommend?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Hotel Schneider - it was very, very nice!

I have friends who stayed there - they said the food was excellent.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You can't judge next Easter on the basis of last Easter. I ski in a generally quite low French area and sometimes conditions are excellent in early - mid April, and sometimes they're not.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Loop2,
Large areas in Ski Amadé (Zauchensee, Wagrain, Schaldming, Reiteralm, Flachau) are open until about the 25th of April.
Obertauern is open for another week or 2 after that.

The smaller areas (Radstadt, Fageralm, Eben) always close after easter Monday :- which could have been why you were caught out!

Have a look here for conditions on 3rd April in Zauchensee:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=109168&start=120

And then there was fresh after that to make it all fresh again!

Since I moved here in 2006 the higher main resorts have always opened this long.
ski holidays
Always liked Obertauen, but I thought one issue was that other resorts bussed people in when they were out of snow?
snow conditions
Arctic Roll, Not known that to happen in the 8 seasons I've encountered!
ski holidays
Arctic Roll, Not in the 30 odd years I've been using the area either. If it is that bad, continentals cancel their holidays and others go to the nearest glaciers Kitzsteinhorn or Mölltal)

Easter is not high season in Austria, the UK tour operators are maximising their profits by saying it is! Usually as soon as the winter half terms are over and done with you are into low season with special offers such as free ski passes for under 15/16 year olds if the parent buys an area pass.
snow conditions
Never been overly busy but we go low season if we can
Have noticed resort a bit busier when lowdown resort have poor conditions but still no queues of any size
Really like the place despite a few shortcomings
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy