Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian ski school conundrum

Poster: A snowHead
Austrian ski schools, all or at least most seem to run 2 hours in the morning and another 2 in the afternoon. We love Austrian ski resorts but prefer the French / Swiss approach of having one longer 2.5 - 3 hour lesson in the morning leaving the afternoon free for doing family stuff together.

So the question, does anyone know of any Austrian resorts where there are ski schools that offer the longer, morning only lessons? It's our stumbling point for deciding resort for next season so any knowledge or wisdom out there much appreciated!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rowlski, you can join for 2 hours, either morning or afternoon. It is not fixed and compulsory that you have to ski 4 hours every day. I've often been in groups where people only do half the day for a variety reasons.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rowlski, I agree. In the end after the beginner week for my neice I out het in 3 days of private lessons mornings only and she's coming on fine.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rowlski, Have a look at private lessons. If you have two or three people who will fit together (similar ability and age) then booking private lessons for them together as a private group may be a solution.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Austrian ski schools get a kick back for bringing groups to certain restaurants

That plan doesn't work in France because French are too tight to buy their lunch out
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
One of the skis schools in Mayrhofen does a 5 day course morning only. To be honest though it is not much difference in price to the other 6 day courses and so as people have said above it is worth just picking and choosing which afternoons that you want to do.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue, that wasn't an option when I booked for Heather. Worth asking though
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
peanuthead,
Lunch out is affordable in Austria wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

That plan doesn't work in France because French are too tight to buy their lunch out

Laughing rolling eyes Laughing There speaks someone who really understands the French.

I think a two hour lesson, with no breaks, is quite long enough for most people. The French schools round my way do 2 hour lessons, not 2.5 - 3.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx, It is if you then decide to go elsewhere and tell said ski school why you are moving elsewhere. Remember competition between the various schools is very competitive, especially in the low season periods. When Heather started it was the end of the season so ski schools were looking for customers. However I doubt that she would have progressed as well hiding in a group wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It is a problem and especially for beginners or second trippers. I do really wonder if a long four hour day with lunch and breaks added is genuinely the best bet for someones first or second trip.

I would also be wary of joining an all day class for part of the day? When you go back the next morning the rest of the class are two hours ahead of you and inevitably the instructors themselves don't like it and it just causes grief all round.

From personal experience it is also the case that even if the ski school advertises mornings only it may not be that they actually facilitate a separate class that only meets in the morning. As I found out what actually happens is that you are just tagged onto an all day class on the premise that you stop at lunchtime with the net effect being the same as above.

I would email the main schools in the resort(s) that you have shortlisted and ask them specifically if they facilitate a 'genuine' mornings only class and use that to help your decision on where to go?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Samerberg Sue, In Flachau I don't think it's competetive at all. The prices and lesson formats are the same, only set options are available online so it's a bit of a hassle trying to book something different from the UK
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
peanuthead,
I expect some ski school bosses get some kick backs (but probably only from the restaurants near the nursery slopes that they fill with kids every lunch time).
The norm round her is a ski teacher's menu. Normally about €6 for a soup, a main course and a drink.

The schools can be as flexible as you want; when you pay them enough!
Private lessons tend to be more to your own crafting whilst groups lessons are cheaper and are dictated by the ski school.

If you have enough people you may be able to get a group price and set the hours - always give it a go!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks, lots of replies! I should have said that the lessons I'm mostly concerned about are for young children, our 6 (will be nearly 7) and bit over 4 year old so we are looking for snow garden / beginner slope type lessons and don't think at that age it would be great to do only half the lesson as they'd probably get behind the rest of the group. I have previously booked lessons and only done part of the day before myself but don't think that would work for the kids.

My 6 year old would also be sad if he didn't get to do the whole week, race and ski medal as part of a group having loved it before. Private would be unaffordably expensive for us also for 5 days and wouldn't have the same level of ability for a small private group.

googiew, thanks I'll have a look at the Mayrhofen schools again, had already scoured them and hadn't spotted one doing half day only. You can't remember which one by any chance?

I'm surprised there aren't more independents doing this, sounds like there's demand from others too! Maybe this is my ski business opportunity! Very Happy My preferred resort was Serfaus but the single school there doesn't offer that and was fine but not very accommodating before as they have a nice monopoly!

Anyone know of any others in addition to Mayrhofen? I have exhausted the schools in Ischgl and Obergurgl already too which were next on my "would like to go to list".
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rowlski, if you are interested in going with a TO like Esprit or Mark Warner they both have lessons half day for the children.

Esprit have two places in Obergurgl and Several places in St Anton. Mark Warner had Zell Am See and St Anton.
snow report
NickyJ, hmmm interesting on Esprit at Obergurgl, will definitely check that though they have generally been a bit out of our price range it's worth a look. We're going late season (Easter school hols) so Zell would probably be a bit risky. Think Mark Warner will be too costly for us too, will have a look at St Anton though the missus is not too keen on it ... but if we could get a good deal
snow conditions
Rowlski, we have booked the second week of our school Easter holidays with Esprit to St Anton. For us that is 12 April, as a lot of counties are back that week, we have got a significantly better price. It is worth checking your dates.

There could be other Austrian options with both, I just relayed the ones I had considered when booking ours Happy
latest report
Rowlski,

IME all of the ski schools tend to offer a ski school for just mornings.... I know they all do around here. They are grouped with kids for just mornings so the level stays about the same, so get to race and get th emedal et al... BUT it is almost always 2 hours unless you top it up with a private.
The reason being that the kids tend to be knackered after 2 hours!

Some places may offer a ski kindergarten or spaetzennest (sp.) for the kids to play in before/after the lesson but this will only be in the very busy areas.
snow report
NickyJ, that's a possibility that's the second week of our school hols, was just aiming to go the earlier week hoping for better conditions, makes less odds depending on resort. As you say that will be cheaper.

flangesax, I'll have to have a look at resorts near you! The ones I have been looking at definitely don't offer morning only on their websites ...
snow report
Rowlski, another advantage of the Esprit setup is the kids have lots of friends their age in the accommodation, which my girls really love, as they are skiing with children they play with in the chalet / hotel. They will be 5 & 8 come April, so similar age to yours.
snow conditions
Rowlski, sorry for the delay, it was http://www.skischule-mayrhofen.at/en/ however only specifies 2 hours and not whether this is am or pm etc.
snow report
NickyJ, spoke to Esprit yesterday and unfortunately the half day lessons are only for snow garden classes, my 6 year old would have to do all day. That's the case in Obergurgl at least. Otherwise Esprit is spot on for our needs.

googiew, thanks I'll take a look!
snow conditions
I didnt notice that they do mornings for sprite improvers in St Anton but not Obergurgl. Sorry about that.
snow report
NickyJ, no problem, it must be down to the local ski schools they sub out too. Shame though.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy