Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bootfitters in Val d'isere?

Poster: A snowHead
Having been persuaded (sadly) by info very kindly supplied in another thread, that I don't really need to change my 8 year old San Marco boots (which are very comfortable) just yet, I am left with this strong urge to do something to 'update' them.

There's been a lot of discussion on the forum about having thermal fitting done properly (which mine never were) so I though I might visit a boot fitter and get some new liners. so two questions really:

1) Is this a good idea, or is my urge to spend some money on my boots just indicative that I am basically foolish.

2) If it IS a good idea, can anyone recommend a good boot fitter in Val D'isere ('cus that's where I'll be Christmas week).

Thanx in advance

Simon T
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Precision Ski are fantastic. The are right in the centre oposite the tourist office.

Happy hols.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FastCarver, Cheers!

I'm staying at the Mercure, which I think is very near to there. I'll pay them a visit.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
AxsMan, if you're going to get boots fitted anywhere then Precision Ski is the place to have it done in Val d'Isere. But I have to ask, if your boots are comfortable and aren't causing you any problems then why try and fix what ain't broke?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kramer wrote:
.... why try and fix what ain't broke?

Good point, I suppose the answer is:

1) A fool and his money.....
2) I just wonder if the 'new' thermal fit inners would be even more comfortable and
3) I think they may be getting a bit loose (I can move my feet a little both left right and up/down with them done up tight.) This makes them comfortable, but maybe reduces my control? I thought maybe new inners would still be comfortable but might improve my control?

I think (1) is probably the major part of it. Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
AxsMan, what do you mean by 'thermal fit' liners?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AxsMan

1) Fair enough. I quite enjoy a bit of retail therapy as well, there's no harm in it.

2) Not significantly IMO. I've got them on mine, and they're pretty good, but they're never going to be carpet slippers, no matter what people may do to them.

3) It depends how loose they are. With carving skis it's no longer as necessary to have quite such a tight fit of the boot as it once was, due to the method used to turn the skis. I often ski with my bottom bindings undone. If they're not adversely affecting your skiing then it's probably not a reason to replace them.

Reasons to keep your boots are-

They're comfortable and you're used to them.

They are obviously appropriate to your level of skiing.

Old kit + decent skier = cool. Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kramer,

Thanks for that - I can't fault your reasoning. Yes they are comfortable. I suspect the second reason is truer (more true?) than I would wish, but unfortunately I probably fall down (literally) on the "decent skier" bit of that equation. Madeye-Smiley

OK looks like I'll have to find another way to indulge my urge to buy new kit - maybe a nice shiny pair of goggles! Smile

BTW re your point 3, I have (accidentally) skied down a couple of times with my bindings unfastend and the 'walk/ski' switch set to 'walk'. I didn't notice until about halfway down the run, so I guess that means I'm not really pushing things too close to the edge of the envelope. Smile

ST
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
parlor,

Er, I'm not sure, isn't there some sort of heat-to-fit process these days where you put your boots on, and sit with your feet in a microwave for five minutes until either the liners expand to 'mould to your feet' or your bunions explode. (or something) ?

ST
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BTW it's worth booking a slot at precision for your first day in town if you can....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AxsMan, This is a common mis-conception from lots of skiers. Nearly all standard boot liners can be 'heat fitted' which is different to an additional, expensive, thermal fit liner that can be fitted post purchase to any ski boot.

These days standard liners can offer a very comfortable fit so unless you have problem legs or feet it will do you fine. When the boot shop heats these liners it isn't really offering a complete custom fitting. It is equivilent to skiing in the boots for 1 or 2 weeks. This sounds like a good idea as you don't need to break the boots in! However IMO it can be a waste of time as 1) you're not in your correct and normal ski position when the heating was done. 2) Standard liners, like it or not, have a limited skiing life (yes you'll here from skiers skiing 300+ days on a standard liner with no issues) so why waste two weeks use stood in a ski shop.

You need to weigh up your options are you going to be bored of your boots before the liners give up? (Kinda like you are now). If you ski one to two weeks per year your liners will serve you up to ten years. Whether the plastic in the shells is still any good is a different matter (plus they may no longer match your goggles Shocked). If you'll get bored of the boots before they are kaput, like you were feeling when you poosted this get the heat 'moulding' done... just be aware that you should be as close to your skiing postition as possible...

My advise for seasonaires & other very regular skier is to get a proper custom liner made, there are a couple of options now. If they can't afford the additional expense straight away then don't get the liner heated as you should get a season out of the liner in winter 1 and then put a custom in for winter 2 and so on...

If you wanna spend the money and your shells are a good fit and in condition then consider having a proper custom liner made... but it doesn't sound it Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
parlor,

Thanks for that, I WAS feeling a bit 'bored' with my boots, but thanks to your comments and those of kramer above I have now decided that old boots are 'cool' and since they ARE very comfortable there is no real need to have custom fitted liners. I will now go for the boot longevity award and see how many years they can be made to last. I only ski about three weeks a year so they should be good for another year or so yet.

I dunno, you guys are just saving me so much money! I'll just have to find something else to squander it on Madeye-Smiley

Cheers!

ST
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
parlor wrote:
AxsMan, This is a common mis-conception from lots of skiers. Nearly all standard boot liners can be 'heat fitted' which is different to an additional, expensive, thermal fit liner that can be fitted post purchase to any ski boot.

These days standard liners can offer a very comfortable fit so unless you have problem legs or feet it will do you fine. When the boot shop heats these liners it isn't really offering a complete custom fitting. It is equivilent to skiing in the boots for 1 or 2 weeks. This sounds like a good idea as you don't need to break the boots in! However IMO it can be a waste of time as 1) you're not in your correct and normal ski position when the heating was done. 2) Standard liners, like it or not, have a limited skiing life (yes you'll here from skiers skiing 300+ days on a standard liner with no issues) so why waste two weeks use stood in a ski shop.

You need to weigh up your options are you going to be bored of your boots before the liners give up? (Kinda like you are now). If you ski one to two weeks per year your liners will serve you up to ten years. Whether the plastic in the shells is still any good is a different matter (plus they may no longer match your goggles Shocked). If you'll get bored of the boots before they are kaput, like you were feeling when you poosted this get the heat 'moulding' done... just be aware that you should be as close to your skiing postition as possible...

My advise for seasonaires & other very regular skier is to get a proper custom liner made, there are a couple of options now. If they can't afford the additional expense straight away then don't get the liner heated as you should get a season out of the liner in winter 1 and then put a custom in for winter 2 and so on...

If you wanna spend the money and your shells are a good fit and in condition then consider having a proper custom liner made... but it doesn't sound it Twisted Evil

Palor, you tell it like it is. Should things go tits-up in Verbier i've a job for you. Cutting the crap is the key.

Hail Parlor, Sheriff of 'Cham. Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, that's very kind. I am the Duke of Verbier, Hazzard & Crispy Cream Donuts. And now the Sheriff of Cham... Twisted Evil

I need to have a quick chat with you Biggie, if we put tax on fat skis it'll stop all these people (two of them so far) fom getting them and it should mean less people in the back country. What do you think? Or should we just levy a massive punter tax and put bigger fences on the piste areas?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've bought snow camoflage and a sniper rifle, loads more fun and has an immediate effect. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
hmmm I prefer a blow dart, but being a zoo keeper you might not get away with it for so long.

Use bullits made from ice, the evidence will melt and the locals (if they find the stiffs Twisted Evil) will think there has been some accident with icicles. The gun powder traces could be explained by controlled avy explosions... Just a thought. Toofy Grin Skullie Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy